Yes, poop. Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Not sure if this belongs in Health and I'm usually one to PM or text for advice but I'd like to get some feedback on a few things.

I ordered the mail in fecal exam kit mostly just because it's time to get it done. Well I received it 2 days ago and both days Batman (4.5 months old, good health) hasn't had a normal poop.

Background: He gets bathed EVERY day for 15-20 minutes and usually poops there. I will try to get to it quick enough so it stays in tact for the fecal but it's not that easy. His last 2 poops have been normal urates but basically water where there should be poop and in his viv, which is out of character.

I searched first so I read that super horrible smelly poop isn't always a clear indicator of parasites and his isn't SO SO bad. It states clearly not to wipe up the poop with paper towels and well...it's not really collectible right now.

Should the soaks, baths be cut back? He's eating awesome and everything. I can't see why this is happening. Could it be possibly over hydration? Is that even something that can happen? Basically it's done as a routine since we had a good scare when he was 2 weeks old from severe dehydration. Or does this sound like he has something going on?

How the heck do I get a sample that can be tested if it can't be scooped? Oh, then today...no poop. Shouldn't he go every day at least once at 4.5 months old? Or is skipping a day normal?

If you've experienced this or read about something similar, please share suggestions. I'm sort of lost here...and I know I asked more than a couple questions. Any info on any question would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO READ THIS!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Ahhhh.....gotta love the poop questions. :wink: Your little stinker Batman is making the collection process tough, isn't he? He knows exactly what you are trying to do and is determined to thwart you.

The puddle in the tank is nothing to worry about. Just well-hydrated. I wouldn't worry about no poop for a day, either.

I think I would focus on a tool for retrieving the poop from the bath the next time he makes one. Do you have a small strainer or slotted spoon you are willing to donate to the collection cause? You could always sequester it for the next time you need a sample.

Does that help at all?

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Esther, you're a lovely woman. As soon as I posted that I grabbed the metal strainer, the one with teeny tiny holes and put it next to the tub. You're a smart one :)

He's fresh and he's way too smart. You think the watery poop is ok? Or cause for concern? I was only doing it for precautionary measures as it really is time to have a fecal done. Now...he's making it into something very different. What a stink butt!!

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Bless your heart, dear. Not smart, just been around the block more times that I can count. I can't remember words for normal things, like fork, but I still can think of useful tools. I do think the watery poop is okay. If it continues for a couple days, I'd be concerned. Make sure he stays hydrated. I have been thinking about doing the fecal with Cheryl, too. Buster needs one, I think. Is it complicated, other than the no paper towels rule?

Here's hoping Batman is willing to cooperate tomorrow. Tell him you'll take the Bat Car away if he doesn't produce. :wink:

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
The instructions are SO simple but I just can't you know, wipe it up and stuff it in a baggy in a paper towel and say "thanks!" Haha! So, even being watery his daily baths are still good?

That boy's gonna lose something if he doesn't cooperate. Yeah, then I'll get those eyes and melt and beg him to give mommy a poop I can use ;)

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Lol. Yes, I would continue to bathe him. I could be wrong, but when we have diarrhea, don't we have to drink extra? Don't trust me on that one. Use your Mom judgement. Here's hoping the little stink pot gives you what you need today.

Gail

BD.org Addict
He doesn't have diarrhea, he just has a lot of extra water in his gut. Personally, I would cut the baths down as they aren't needed everyday and it will help get a firmer sample.

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Ok...I should have added this: We (well a lot of us here) know that Batman has had some difficult sheds in the past and as luck would have it...HE IS IN MID SHED! Both back legs, so we KNOW darn well that back is going to give me a hassle by tonight...

So...consensus still says give it a rest? Since I have your attention...can I ask ONE more question?? Gail, you mention too much water in his "gut" which makes perfect sense...but can that be harmful or will it just disrupt the task at hand (scooping poop)?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You know me, I have to chime in here. :lol: Anyway, Kristine it wouldn't hurt anything at all if you cut the baths back a little right now. I think he's holding out to give you a nice BIG poop sample to make you proud of him. :mrgreen:

Like Gail said, just passing liquids means he is well hydrated. It won't hurt him at all but since you need that sample, go head and cut it back. Sometimes when they are in shed, they don't poop every day, don't ask me why, it just happens that way. He must be really growing, he just shed a short time ago. :D You've got the cocoa butter on hand if needed. :wink:

KristineM

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Oh Diane! I was TRYING specifically to give you a break!! Haha! Ok. Suggestion followed ;)

VGaines

This is what I found when I got home this afternoon. It stinks a lot. His poop has never smelled like this. He had crickets dusted in Calcium w/ D3 (aprox 10 med.), and about 4 Phoenix worms this morning. He had collard greens and a few super worms yesterday along with his pelleted diet (Rep-Cal Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food), which has a lot of green pellets in it, that is in his cage at all times. He is still very active and his appetite hasn't changed at all. Could this strange poop be from the food? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Virginia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom