Yellow Fungus?!? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtinaBeardieMom

Juvie Member
Oh, wow that's awful... I don't have much to add as far as helpful advice, but you're in good hands with the others here who are offering their knowledge. I just have to say - props to you for being Yoshi's hero and doing everything you can to make this right. On the other hand, shame on your parents for letting your little brother get a bearded dragon without being informed of this animal's needs and not monitoring his care. I hope you don't take offense to that, but I can't believe they're not even willing to help more financially to correct their own horrid mistakes at the expense of this poor animal. But again, at least little Yoshi has you. Thank you for being his hero

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks, I'm going to do the best I can

Should I get the regular liquid calcium or calci-blast which is for reptiles with severe metabolic bone disease? I don't know if I'd consider Yoshi's condition moderate or severe in terms of MBD if he even has it. The reasons I'm guessing he does is because two of his fingers have fallen off ='( and a third is about to.. his fingers and toes are also very bendy =(
He also might be dehydrated =/ I force fed him 2 mL of water because I don't believe he's drinking from his water bowl.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How bad is Yoshi's metabolic bone disease? I would suggest the calci-blast simply because it has gluconate which helps in the uptake & absorption process along with the glubionate. Can he support his body weight off of the ground & climb very well?
Did you try spraying some of the anti-fungal onto him? I just wondered how that went for you. Hopefully you were able to get that treatment on him pretty well.
I am sorry his fingers are not doing well & falling off. The fungus is most likely the culprit, as it can cause tissue destruction.
I am so sorry that he is having so much trouble. :(

Tracie

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi,

He is able to support his body weight and walk around/climb on his basking surface but if he's not walking, he usually just rests his body on the ground. I haven't gotten a separate spray bottle for the cream just yet (I'm low on money now and I want to save for things like calci blast and maybe reptaid) but I did try diluting some in a tiny cup of water. I'm afraid that even with a soft toothbrush, rubbing it in will cause more of his skin to fall off so last night I used a cotton swab. That made it easier to get the cream into the cracks but the solution was kind of clumpy =/

Also, bought/set up new light fixture yesterday (the actual bulb isn't here yet):
IMG_0684.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

A few people suggested putting it inside with command hooks which is what I did but I'm worried that it might be too close to him. The cage isn't very tall. I hope he won't jump up touch it or something. Also afraid that the sticky parts might get loose eventually and fall on him =((((
How does it look??

Pictures of Yoshi from last night:
IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

Does he look better, worse, the same?

Thank you soooo much!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Reptiles heal very slowly. Patience, persistance & being consistant is going to be the key to getting Yoshi better!! You're treating him and that's what's important right now!! It gets frustrating when you don't see a change right away but scales are not the same as skin! You will see a difference soon I'm sure. If you keep a photo log and look back, you'll see the changes! I PROMISE! :love5: Did you start a photobucket account? Keep loading your pics there to keep a visual log of him!

Hugs,

Sue

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi! Yoshi's fungus seems to be clearing up. Some of the larger pieces have fallen off but the skin underneath doesn't exactly look normal. Some of the fungus (mostly on his underside) is turning a darker color which apparently is a good thing because it means the fungus is dying?

Unfortunately, he still isn't eating by himself probably because he's still on the sporonox. I'm planning on taking him off it early next week. I've been feeding him wax worms because I read they are high in fat which I thought would be helpful with weight gain. I had to force feed those too =/ Today while taking care of him, he vomited a whole lot of worms =( =( =( along with the carnivore care. The worms looked pretty much the same as they did when he ate them. Undigested. I counted at least 12 worms which means they've all been in there doing nothing since a few days ago =( I don't know what to do about this. Do you think it's the worms that's causing the trouble or is it just him and his body that isn't healthy =( I am so discouraged =( I thought he was getting better! I was afraid to give him too much food today because I didn't want him getting sick again. I (force)fed him 3 crickets and a couple pieces of collard leaves. It's getting increasingly difficult to force feed him; I know he hates it and I'd love if I didn't have to either but I figure he needs to get some kind of food in his system =/ OH YEAH, I am SO mad at myself. I've been feeding him from the same packet of carnivore care that I've had since 5/7 and I just read on the label today that it can be refrigerated for up to 7 days and it's definitely been longer than that.. I hope it didn't do too much harm =( I threw it out and tomorrow I'm going to go shopping for some baby food. Hopefully he'll be able to keep that down.

His reptisun 10 light came in yesterday! I was so excited about it and I think Yoshi likes it too ^_^ I also started giving him liquid calcium today so HOPEFULLY his bones will start getting stronger soon! Is it okay to mix liquid calcium in with his food or does it have to be taken alone?

IMG_0720.jpg

In his bath. I give him two baths, one with betadine and the other with just plain water so he can drink if he wants to

IMG_0715.jpg

NEW LIGHT! =D

IMG_0714.jpg

His stomach

IMG_0711.jpg

Top view

IMG_0710.jpg

Side view

Is he looking better?? I want to know if what I'm doing is working!

Thank you everyone for your concern, advice, links to websites!

carlisv

Hatchling Member
If he seems to have trouble digesting whole worms, crickets, and greens, you can make him a smoothie by putting some worms, greens, and liquid calcium in a food processor with some warm water, (the consistency is totally up to you - one of my guys likes his sort of thick, but the other likes it watery) and either feed it to him with a plastic syringe or see if he'll lick it off of his nose. Since the food is sort of pre-digested it may enter his system more quickly so he'll get a little nutrition out of it even if he throws some up. As far as liquid calcium is concerned, you can mix it with food or water, or even give it to him plain if he happens to have his mouth open long enough to put a drop or two in. It's incredibly bitter (yeah, I tasted it . . .) and even though I've heard they can't taste the bitterness, they have to get used to it before they'll take it willingly.

I found my IR tempurature gun at Sears. It is used for thermal redings off of paint. It works great for spot checks. It reads differently on different colors and materials so digital therm w/ probe is still best.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Yoshi is looking really thin. I think he was to begin with, losing his appetite from the meds certainly isn't helping matters. Can you get more Carnivore Care from the vet? It's about $10 - 14. Critical Care in apple banana flavor is another kind that you could get and mix them together. That's what I had to do when Dino stopped eating. My only concern would be that the baby food mix wouldn't have enought vitamins/minerals even with adding calcium. Instead of going the vet purchase route, do you have any reptile vitamin supplements as well as the calcium? You could mix that in with the calcium and baby food. That would cost less than the 2 bags from the vet and it will LAST much longer. I'm sure your Mom won't want you mashing bugs up in her blender! :puke: I think that would make her VERY unhappy! :lol: You would need your own special blender to do that. Kinda gross, I know, but lots of peeps do it to get food into their babies! You could get a cheap blender for under 20 bux if you want to go that route. Does Yoshi have night heat? It's important to keep him warm. The added heat will help his body fight off infection better. If you only have one fixture, you could swap the bulbs out day/night. Warmth is SO important right now! If you have one of those red bulbs for night heat, they do throw off a little light. This can disturb his sleep and he needs his rest. If you can't afford a ceramic heat emitter and a new fixture at this time, use the night bulb and just cover Yoshi with a light cloth or hand towel. Added heat will also help him with digestion of food! So much info, I'm sorry for such a long post! Just want to help you as best I can!!!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Appearance wise he does look better Joanne! About the sores you're seeing: those have probably been there on his tummy for a while. You just haven't seen them before because they've been covered over with the dead skin. It's very important that you keep giving him his medicated baths to prevent infection and it should help to dry them up. It is going to take A VERY LONG time for him to heal. Dino started with fungus in February and she still has marks and sores that aren't gone yet. A couple sores she has were caused by the vet, not the fungus, and the scabs are still there and it still looks raw underneath when they loosen in her bath. She got those in the beginning of April. :( Gotta be patient. Sadly, he's not going to look better any time soon. Let us know if you have anymore questions and keep us posted on his progress. Sending (((healthy hugs))) for you and Yoshi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom