Yellow Fungus?!? Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I have a screen lid with a hinge in the middle. I mounted a fixture like that on the back side of the screen using zip ties. Good luck!

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
The Accurite thermometer is at wall mart by the outdoor thermometwrs by the hardwear section. Then in the same general area by the light bulbs you will find a fixture for the reptisun 10.0 tube uvb light. Then get some command hooks or velcro so you can put the light inside the big where your dragon can get 6 - 8 inches from it

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I listed the products by their commonly known name to make it easier to find or ask for, kind of like buying tissues but almost everyone calls it Kleenex. I always buy generics when ever I can as it is much less expensive for the same product. I guess I assumed most people do :shock: Sorry about that!

You posted ....."I have a question about the hibiclens.. I wasn’t sure exactly how to use it.. Would I just dab some on a paper towel and clean like that or mix it with water? I was thinking about getting a spray bottle and mixing hibiclens and water in it to spray it where ever I need. Is this a good idea?".....

Hibiclens is 4% while Nolvasan is vet strength of 2%. The 4% is waay to strong to use undiluted, remember you even have to dilute the 2% strength for his bath. You will need to dilute 1 part water to 1 part Hibiclens to get the vet strength of 2%.
1/4 cup of Hibiclens mixed with 1/4 cup water gives you 1/2 cup of a 2% solution. Your vet prescribed.... "A bath with 1 part Nolvasan in 9 parts water, 15 minutes daily"... so use 1 part of your 2% solution to 9 parts water just as your vet prescribed. If you are bathing him in it 15 minutes daily, making sure to keep all the fungus sites wet, I don't believe you need to spray him.
Personally I wouldn't spray him with it, you risks it getting into his eyes, ears or mouth.. Just my opinion!
Amanda

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
dragonlover3":2mm35u8g said:
Hi,
I listed the products by their commonly known name to make it easier to find or ask for, kind of like buying tissues but almost everyone calls it Kleenex. I always buy generics when ever I can as it is much less expensive for the same product. I guess I assumed most people do :shock: Sorry about that!

You posted ....."I have a question about the hibiclens.. I wasn’t sure exactly how to use it.. Would I just dab some on a paper towel and clean like that or mix it with water? I was thinking about getting a spray bottle and mixing hibiclens and water in it to spray it where ever I need. Is this a good idea?".....

Hibiclens is 4% while Nolvasan is vet strength of 2%. The 4% is waay to strong to use undiluted, remember you even have to dilute the 2% strength for his bath. You will need to dilute 1 part water to 1 part Hibiclens to get the vet strength of 2%.
1/4 cup of Hibiclens mixed with 1/4 cup water gives you 1/2 cup of a 2% solution. Your vet prescribed.... "A bath with 1 part Nolvasan in 9 parts water, 15 minutes daily"... so use 1 part of your 2% solution to 9 parts water just as your vet prescribed. If you are bathing him in it 15 minutes daily, making sure to keep all the fungus sites wet, I don't believe you need to spray him.
Personally I wouldn't spray him with it, you risks it getting into his eyes, ears or mouth.. Just my opinion!
Amanda

Wait.. I am very confused! haha, I thought you said Hibiclens would be used to clean his tank and Betadine was the one to bathe him in? I wanted to put the hibiclens in a bottle with water to spray the tank and wipe it down.. not my dragon, haha

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, the hibiclens is to clean the tank with & the betadine is to bathe him in.
You will need to dilute the betadine to look like very weak, like weak tea. Did you find everything you needed at the store?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I had to move Yoshi down to the basement because my parents were worried/unhappy with him being in my brother's room since the vet told us yellow fungus is contagious. =( We do have a de-humidifier downstairs so hopefully it won't be too bad. He seems to be doing okay, no changes really except that he'll try and wriggle free while I'm holding and putting cream on him which causes more of his skin to come off =( it's also getting harder to force feed him the carnivore care. I'm guessing it's a good thing because he's getting his strength back?

I do have more questions (I never seem to run out of those! :O).. but I have a final that I need to study for so I'll write more tomorrow

I did order a reptisun 10 light tonight though!

IMG00376_20110729_2238.jpg

Yoshi when he was young, healthy and fungus free! You don't know how much I wish I could go back in time.. so many things I would change ='(

carlisv

Hatchling Member
You don't need to spend extra money on a "reptile" fixture to put the ReptiSun 10.0 bulb in. Walmart has fluorescent fixtures in their lighting department that will fit it. Just make sure you get the right length and that it's for a T8 bulb. They're less than $10. You may have to get one with a bulb already in it, and if it has a plastic screen covering the bulb you won't need that either, but you'll save a lot of money! You can mount it inside Yoshi's cage with velcro or Command hooks (in WalMart's Home Improvement section). He should be able to get 6-8 inches from the ReptiSun 10.0 to absorb calcium most effectively, with nothing between him and the bulb.

The thermometers are in the electrical/hardware section with the outdoor thermometers. It's called a digital probe and is less than $15.

For baths, I run an inch or so of water in the tub, and on one end I put a clear RubberMaid container with an inch of the same temperature water in it. Richard swims/drinks/poops in the tub, then I plop him into the rubbermaid container so he can finish his soak in clean water. If he's shedding I put the ShedEase in the RubberMaid container so he isn't drinking it.

Good luck!

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Awwww, poor Yoshi: banished to the basement! :cry:

Question to others who have treated their beardies for fungus:

Do you think she could dilute the creams with water and spray him with it then rub it in??? Just a thought. I know how difficult it is to get good coverage with cream on a lizard-NOT EASY!!! Isn't Silver Sulfazadiane an antimicrobial/antibacterial? Is that going to kill the fungus? I used it on Dino only for a short while, didn't see much of a change.
Hugs,

Sue

dragonlover3

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
I treated my first 2 rescues successfully for fungus. It is very difficult to spread the ointments/creams on them. I wish I had heard of or read about diluting it enough to spray, I'd have done that! If, GOD FORBID, my dragons ever develop it again I will be doing that. I think it's a great idea and would provide better coverage in all the nooks and crannies. I don't have any experience with the Silver Sulfazadiane, never used it.
Amanda

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Silver sulfadiazine is prescibed by the vet... That's where I got it from for Dino.
*edit-I spelled it wrong on my first post about it! LOL!*

speedyfuzzball

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hello!

I ordered Yoshi's new light yesterday and will probably go shopping for the fixture and command hooks tomorrow. I'm excited to set that up for him!

Diluting the cream to spray it sounds like a great idea! Would it be okay to make a diluted solution and then use it for a few days in a row or do I have to dilute a new batch every day?

Can I mix some calcium into his carnivore care formula? He isn't eating the pellets or worms that I've dusted with calcium =/

Also, I've noticed that he'll sit in his water bowl for a while after I've put the cream on.. I wonder if it's hurting him and that's why he wants to get it off. I've changed his water of course

get-attachment.aspx

Yoshi after tonight's daily routine/treatment

HappiDragon

Hatchling Member
The BEST WAY to get complete coverage is to use the fungicide diluted down with distilled water ( I did mine in a shot glass) mix with a SOFT toothbrush, maybe about a 1/2 inch of cream per glass. Once it looks somewhat like skim milk then apply to your beardie all over, this method gives excellent coverage over the entire body. I used to do my dragon while watching TV with him sitting on a towel, it became our routine several times a week. BEFORE his next application I would bathe him for 20 min to remove all old cream, even though you could not see it, it was still there.

I did try diluted it down to a spray which does work to a certain extent but to get under and around scales a toothbrush works soooo much better, just make sure its SOFT.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Make sure he is getting a calcium supplement- preferably liquid calcium. Even in that baby picture, he looks like he has the beginnings of MBD, so along with the new UVB, extra calcium is really important if he is going to keep his strength up, fight off the fungal infections and recover.

SpikesAgirl

Juvie Member
Thanks HappiDragon...I KNEW someone on here told me about that (diluting creams with water for applying), I just couldn't remember who! Senior Moment! :laughhard:
Hugs,
Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom