worried abt beardie not getting enough heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
I have recently bought a 40-gallon tank for my bearded dragon and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough heat since the average temperature for a bearded dragon is 100°F and he is getting 85°F. I have a ZooMed mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture with a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp that has 100W. Right now I'm trying to find a ReptiSun UVB 10.0 with the right size that fits in the dual-lamp since I bought the wrong size. If he isn't getting enough heat, what can I do to fix this? Here are a few images about the topic.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 157
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 100
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94

RangoRocky

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Rango Rocky Balboa
my tank stays around 85 but if it’s hot in the house it can get up to 100. I haven’t had any issues with my beardies because they’re 85.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
there isn't going to be a bulb to fit a dual dome that is adequate for uvb. anything in there will be considered a coil. you're going to want a long tube uvb instead.

the dial thermometer is incredibly inaccurate. i would get a probe thermometer before you start messing with the basking temperatures. they're pretty cheap and easy to order online if you don't have access to a petstore that carries them. you don't want to accidentally burn your dragon up by having a higher temp at basking spot than you think you do.

temperatures will also depend on the age of the dragon. as they get older, they like their basking spots cooler. how old is your dragon?

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
there isn't going to be a bulb to fit a dual dome that is adequate for uvb. anything in there will be considered a coil. you're going to want a long tube uvb instead.

the dial thermometer is incredibly inaccurate. i would get a probe thermometer before you start messing with the basking temperatures. they're pretty cheap and easy to order online if you don't have access to a petstore that carries them. you don't want to accidentally burn your dragon up by having a higher temp at basking spot than you think you do.

temperatures will also depend on the age of the dragon. as they get older, they like their basking spots cooler. how old is your dragon?
I have him for almost five years. If you don't mind, is it okay if you can send me photos or links of the probe thermometers to see what they look like?

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
I have him for almost five years. If you don't mind, is it okay if you can send me photos or links of the probe thermometers to see what they look like?
this is a pretty basic one that gets used a lot. you'll want two, one for the hot side and one for the cool side. Zoo Med Reptile Terrarium Digital Thermometer | reptile Humidity & Temperature Control | PetSmart

i have three from ebay that also do the humidity and cost a little more. but for basking purposes the other is fine.

so he's older and can go with the lower temps. i have my basking spot at 95°, hot side is 90°, middle is 85°, and cool side is 80°.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
just in case, here's the one from ebay. they've gone up a couple bucks since i bought them. i have one at each end of the enclosure and one in the middle. i use them for all temperature readings and then the middle one is the one i pay attention to for humidity. you could get away with only two, i just don't want to mess with moving the probes around to different locations.

V.E. TH-100 thermometer/Hygrometer Cold Blood Creations bearded dragon reptiles | eBay

Last edited:

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
Ohh okay, I'll check them out. About the UVB light, I have a Zilla Slimline that is 18" inches and a T8 model. Do I have to get a new one or is it the right one? If I have to get a new one, which one and does it have to be inside or outside the tank?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need a long tube fixture like a 24" fixture zoo med this would be for a 40 + gallon get the 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up or get this one 24" Arcadia pro T 5 w a 12% bulb
This website has them they are good and fast www.pangeareptiles.com - place the digital probe thermometer on the spot where he sits for basking you want surface basking temps-- 95-100 for a juvenile or adult dragon

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
@KarrieRee would be better able to answer that one. i started with a 20-L tank that came with a dome uvb (typical pet store set up that is almost all wrong) and moved straight to a 4'x2'x2' custom build. it has a solid thick melamine top so i have to have my light on the inside. for you it will depend on what type of top you have as to whether or not it is inside or outside and how strong of a bulb it needs to be.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
You need a long tube fixture like a 24" fixture zoo med this would be for a 40 + gallon get the 22" reptisun 10.0 T 5 this will come w/ a 5.0 bulb keep it for back up or get this one 24" Arcadia pro T 5 w a 12% bulb
This website has them they are good and fast www.pangeareptiles.com - place the digital probe thermometer on the spot where he sits for basking you want surface basking temps-- 95-100 for a juvenile or adult dragon
and she beats me to the enter button by fractions of a second! LOL!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ohh okay, I'll check them out. About the UVB light, I have a Zilla Slimline that is 18" inches and a T8 model. Do I have to get a new one or is it the right one? If I have to get a new one, which one and does it have to be inside or outside the tank?
Inside the tank take the clear plastic cover off bulb should be no older than 6 month distance 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
Alright, I'll check those things out. Thank you guys for your help, I really appreciate it! Once I buy the correct thermometers, I'll let you guys know what happens next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom