worried abt beardie not getting enough heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
I have recently bought a 40-gallon tank for my bearded dragon and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough heat since the average temperature for a bearded dragon is 100°F and he is getting 85°F. I have a ZooMed mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture with a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp that has 100W. Right now I'm trying to find a ReptiSun UVB 10.0 with the right size that fits in the dual-lamp since I bought the wrong size. If he isn't getting enough heat, what can I do to fix this? Here are a few images about the topic.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 157
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 100
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
i don't personally. i've never used a dual dome, and have only ever used 100W bulb at the highest. (the "petco special" dual dome i was given when i rescued henry went straight into the trash because i could tell too high of a bulb had been put into it. the wires were melting.)

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
how long did you have the probe there for that reading? you're so close to where you want to be! at this point see what your dragon does. if he avoids that spot it is too hot (and then drop down to 150W total as kerrie suggested, now that i understand how the dual domes work). if he likes it i don't think you need to change anything else for the heat aspect of the tank.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
ok yeah that's gonna wind up being too hot. so you either keep your 100W and buy a 50W, or keep your 75W and buy another 75W. you're gonna need another bulb either way and both combinations will be 150W combined.

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
and this is exactly why we suggested getting the probe thermometers last week before trying different bulbs. temp is really trial and error because there are so many factors to it. uvb is much easier to nail down.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your temp is good at 101- most older dragons like temps 95-100- if it continues to climb and he won't bask there for long drop to the 50 watt-

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
Alright then. I'm going to leave the basking lights on until 7pm to see how high the temperature goes. I'll buy the 50-watt bulb on Tuesday since I'm going to be pretty busy tomorrow and won't have time to go shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom