worried abt beardie not getting enough heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
I have recently bought a 40-gallon tank for my bearded dragon and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough heat since the average temperature for a bearded dragon is 100°F and he is getting 85°F. I have a ZooMed mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture with a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp that has 100W. Right now I'm trying to find a ReptiSun UVB 10.0 with the right size that fits in the dual-lamp since I bought the wrong size. If he isn't getting enough heat, what can I do to fix this? Here are a few images about the topic.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 157
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 100
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 94

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have recently bought a 40-gallon tank for my bearded dragon and I'm worried that he isn't getting enough heat since the average temperature for a bearded dragon is 100°F and he is getting 85°F. I have a ZooMed mini combo deep dome dual lamp fixture with a ZooMed Repti Basking Spot Lamp that has 100W. Right now I'm trying to find a ReptiSun UVB 10.0 with the right size that fits in the dual-lamp since I bought the wrong size. If he isn't getting enough heat, what can I do to fix this? Here are a few images about the topic.
First please do not buy a coil UVB they are no good and adequate - they cause a lot of health issues including MBD --- you want either a Zoo Med 24" fixture this will come w/a 5.0 bulb for your tank you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 keep the 5.0 as a back up the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb- or get this one a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb here are some links and you need this right away if you have no UVB --
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you place it for your tank - that will depend on your screen -- I cant tell if its a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type --
Basking bulb is not getting your temps high enough obviously-- please try a 150 watt -- how long did you leave the probe on the log it seems it should be getting hotter than that -- how old is the bulb?

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey
First please do not buy a coil UVB they are no good and adequate - they cause a lot of health issues including MBD --- you want either a Zoo Med 24" fixture this will come w/a 5.0 bulb for your tank you need a 22" Reptisun 10.0 T 5 keep the 5.0 as a back up the distance and placement is different from the 10.0 bulb- or get this one a 24" Arcadia Pro T 5 w/ the 12% bulb here are some links and you need this right away if you have no UVB --
When you get the UVB please post back on here I will help you place it for your tank - that will depend on your screen -- I cant tell if its a fine mesh like a screen door or a wide hole type --
Basking bulb is not getting your temps high enough obviously-- please try a 150 watt -- how long did you leave the probe on the log it seems it should be getting hotter than that -- how old is the bulb?
- The screen is mesh like the screen doors so the holes aren't wide.
- I left the probe for 6 hours (I turned it on at 8am and turned it off at 2:16pm)
- I bought the basking bulb on April 12 so 12 days old.
I have a Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture and it says that it could have 100 to 120 watts, do I have to buy a new one for the 150 watts or ???

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
@KarrieRee, would a 150W be too much considering he is only trying to bump the temp up about 5-10 degrees? (his dragon is around 5.)
I have a Mini Combo Deep Dome Lamp Fixture and it says that it could have 100 to 120 watts, do I have to buy a new one for the 150 watts or ???
@spikey_the_beardie yes, you would have to replace that.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
- The screen is mesh like the screen doors so the holes aren't wide.
- I left the probe for 6 hours (I turned it on at 8am and turned it off at 2:16pm)
- I bought the basking bulb on April 12 so 12 days old.
No use the other side for a 50 watt and see if that does the trick -- but you cant use a dome that is more than 150 watt -- so use the double dome for a 50 that will make it 150-- the UVB will need to go inside the tank - it will need to be placed 12-15 inches directly above the the basking decor piece
here are some things to hang w/
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire – long plastic zip ties fishing line or this stuff if you can find it they are sold out a lot depending on where you live https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
this is like a Velcro strap cut into strips and wrap around your fixture it works great I use it in my two tanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
@KarrieRee, would a 150W be too much considering he is only trying to bump the temp up about 5-10 degrees? (his dragon is around 5.)

@spikey_the_beardie yes, you would have to replace that.
his temps are only at 85 now so it is always trial and error w/ bulbs - that is why we always tell people to have a digital probe to get the actual basking temp - w/ the dual dome he can try a 50 watt and see what he gets --

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
his temps are only at 85 now so it is always trial and error w/ bulbs - that is why we always tell people to have a digital probe to get the actual basking temp - w/ the dual dome he can try a 50 watt and see what he gets --
oh ok. i was going off the picture he provided from the probe that said 89.2.

my suggestion of needing to replace the dome was based on 150W being above the 100-120W limit of the dome, creating a fire hazard. i'm not sure how much above the limit is safe to go.

spikey_the_beardie

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Spikey

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It says that the product that I'm trying to view is currently unavailable. Oh, I forgot about this but I have a 75-watt bulb from his old tank, should I try to place it on the lamp and see how much it increases the temperature?
Yes try that and see where it gets you -- if its too much go to the 50 watt

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
oh ok. i was going off the picture he provided from the probe that said 89.2.

my suggestion of needing to replace the dome was based on 150W being above the 100-120W limit of the dome, creating a fire hazard. i'm not sure how much above the limit is safe to go.
You dont want to ever go above the limit - it will blow the dome or circuit and you dont want that only use what the dome recommends

hdochow

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Sir Henry of Scales
You dont want to ever go above the limit - it will blow the dome or circuit and you dont want that only use what the dome recommends
that's what i thought. i was actually going to suggest doing a 75W and a 50W together until he posted the limit for his dome, and those two together would be over the 120 limit. (or do domes list each socket separately? i assumed the 100-120 was combined, but i suppose it could be 100 for 1 socket and 120 for the other.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
that's what i thought. i was actually going to suggest doing a 75W and a 50W together until he posted the limit for his dome, and those two together would be over the 120 limit. (or do domes list each socket separately? i assumed the 100-120 was combined, but i suppose it could be 100 for 1 socket and 120 for the other.)
Not sure usually its per socket --

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom