Winter

Mango44

Beardie name(s)
Mango
This is my first Winter and I noticed my bearded dragon staying still more all day. He’s not going in his heat spot much either. Is it possible he’s going into hibernation but has dirt to hide in?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Beardies don't hibernate, but they will sometimes brumate. It's similar to hibernation but not a true hibernation. Their bodies slow down and they spend much of their time just sleeping or lying around doing nothing.

Typically, only older dragons will brumate.

You want to make sure that if your dragon is old enough to brumate, that the slow down is from brumation and not from an issue in your husbandry or your dragons daily diet.

-Brandon

Mango44

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mango
He’s almost a year but it seems like brumation slowly starting as it’s getting colder. Do they not bask than? He’s eatting some and still popping but mostly staying in one spot looking

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
They don't bask much if at all while brumating.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are masters at brumation! A lot of them will go into their blankies or hides & not come out for
weeks while others are in & out of basking. So, it's hard to say exactly what they will do, especially
if it's their first brumation.

Tracie

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom