Who knew I'd become so smitten w/these GIRLS? (Thread/pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son bought our BD, Smaug, on Saturday, and by today, Tuesday, I already adore the little lizard! :love5:

He usually goes to sleep in his "cave", but he seemed restless last night. I turned off his lights and put him in his cave, but he kept coming out and eyeing me up. I decided to scoop him up and take him with me into the living room and hold him while I sat on the sofa and watched TV. I partially covered him with one hand, and he flattened himself against me and fell asleep. So cute! Of course, if I moved, he woke up, but when I got up and put him into his cave, he stayed there and slept until morning.

Here are some pics!

Smaugsleeping2.jpg
[/url][/img]

Smaugsleeping.jpg
[/url][/img]

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Yesterday evening, Smauggie was in the window looking out and Stormy (our eldest cat - 10 human years old) decided to lay down next to her, tucked into the curve of Smauggie's tail. She had her head down, like she was going to nap there, but she picked it up when I grabbed my phone to take the pic.

"See, Mom? I'm happy the dragon is awake."

I don't think Smauggie is bothered by her closeness, except that Storm's fur (she's a long-hair) seems to tickle her. The cats seem to have gotten used to her over time - just another critter in the house. And Smauggie seems to have no fear of them - will walk up to one of the cats & touch him/her with her tongue. "My cat." But I always keep close when any of the cats are around, just to be safe.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
I must have the one and only Dragon that enjoys to come out but is more happy in his viv lol not but I'm complaining it cost me a fortune

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I think the majority of them like to be out and about. They enjoy the company of people and are curious creatures.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I had ankle surgery recently and was at my sister's for a few days. I made sure they all had lots of food and they're on timers, as I didn't have anyone to check in on them. They were fine, food wise, but they sure didn't like that I wasn't home. I had to take them all out individually, snuggle them all, to get them to lighten up their colours, as they were all dark. So they do want us around, even if they don't get out for the full day, at least some snuggle time to make them feel wanted.

That pic of Smauggie and Stormy was priceless, I'm glad they all get along so well. And also glad you keep an eye on them, just in case.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
It's his personality and attitude that gets me, he so sweet, obviously I have been his main carer and will always be, so when my girlfriend get his out he is totally different, he was all miserable today when I was at work and didn't want to eat, I came home and got him out for a bit of daddy time and you could just see his mood change, he became brighter, happier, and relaxed, and ate really well, I said to her, "see he just wanted me"

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I came home from running errands on October 22, 2015, and found that somebody had decided to wake up while I was gone. She looked cranky ... I'd be happy if I could sleep for days! :lol:

Some late afternoon snuggling, beard-to-beard, with my son.

Not too snuggly with Saint.

But there was some closeness the next day as they discussed the weather.

(the incoming sunlight washed some of the color out)

"Didn't we just do this??"
She's not a fan of soaking. :roll:

Sometimes I bring her on short trips, like this one to pick up some drive-thru.

"I'll take an order of dubia, to go."

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
She is so cool, I need to get the heater fixed in my car then I could bring him when I pick my son up from school!!

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
MyBilbo":zp5jbnhl said:
She is so cool, I need to get the heater fixed in my car then I could bring him when I pick my son up from school!!

That's what I do ... Dropping off, picking up, drive thru, etc. My son bought a zippered pouch (some of it is mesh) at the reptile show last year, and occasionally I will put her in that and take her with me if I'm going to pick up a few things at the store. But then I look weird because I'm walking around the store talking to what looks like a small purse. LOL.

MyBilbo

Hatchling Member
That's so cute!!

Due to temps here in the UK I think it would be silly to take him out unfortunately, it's just not warm enough even in the summer it's not really that great, having said that the temps are good enough to taken the python out haha, might get some odd looks taking her to the super market or walking around the village haha

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hello, y'all! I realized that I haven't posted anything since last October, and here we are in June. The second half of last year was a bit crazy. After being unemployed for 6 months, I *finally* found a job and started working in December. :blob8: Amen! :-D

No new critters to report (yet) because being unemployed for so long set me back financially, but we have been enjoying the ones we have. Sadly, we've lost a few fish here and there, but everyone else is doing well!

Last couple days, Smauggie has had very mushy poops, so I'm a bit worried about that. Very watery and way too soft. I have scheduled an appointment for her to be seen, but it's not until next Friday. :( Nothing has changed recently, other than we bought her a new tank a couple of weeks ago. It's the same size, but opens in the front, which makes it SO much easier for us. PetSmart had it on sale for Memorial Day; it was regular $219, and on sale for $109, so I went ahead and got it. Temps are fine, and she's eating well, still doing dubia and squash (because that's the only veggie that she will eat at the moment :roll: ).

Going to post pics in a little bit!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome back! Hopefully the mushy poops are just due to excess water from the squash and nothing to worry about. Good idea to get it checked out though.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Smauggie!

All I can assume is that she was cranky from her face shedding and the thermometer looked at her wrong.

Finally! A bed large enough for a dragon! I told my son that he was just going to have to sleep in her tank.

Smauggie has conquered Eric. Because sometimes ... The dragon wins! :lol:

Just hanging around.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3nn7fvop said:
Welcome back! Hopefully the mushy poops are just due to excess water from the squash and nothing to worry about. Good idea to get it checked out though.

I know! It's been too long!

I'm hoping so, too. She's due for her yearly exam next month anyway, so I'm just doing it a bit early.

jenn4turtles

Juvie Member
Original Poster
The vet had a cancellation this morning, so I took her in a week early, and brought them this morning's stool sample, which was still mushy.

On the way to vet ....

She weighs 692.5, which I'm happy about! :blob8:

Think she realized where she was and may have been a bit mad at me ...

I had the vet give me a print-out, just so I could read over it later, in case I forgot anything. So .... I want to share it with y'all. Of course, I've been googling it all afternoon, but that was getting scary, so I've also posted this on the infectious diseases forum.

As for the exam findings, abdominal palpation showed liquid in her intestines, but was otherwise normal. Remainder of physical exam was normal.

Lab findings: fecal warm saline on the fresh stool revealed moderate levels of motile protozoa (giardia and trichomonas). Two fecal flotations were run and were both negative for parasites.

Tentative diagnosis: Smauggie is possibly becoming sensitive to the intestinal protozoa, which can cause diarrhea.

Recommendations: Thoroughly clean out her cage at home to prevent possible recontamination.

Medication: Flagyl was given to treat for the protozoa. This needs to be repeated in 2 weeks.

I'd like to add, regarding medication, that she told me it was a medication that started with an "M", but the summary said "Flagyl". Maybe a generic name for same med?

We are scheduled to go back in 2 weeks for a repeat.

It says that it didn't find any parasites, but aren't protozoas parasites?

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm sure that I'm just worrying myself for nothing; she's receiving treatment, and I am going to thoroughly clean the tank this evening, but I'm still worried about my "baby" dragon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom