Where'd you get your Dubia colony???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where did everybody get your Dubia Colony??

I'd like to start breeding Dubia but I'm a super duper tight budget so I'd like to know the cheapest places I can get them.
I'm OK with starting out small, since it's better then nothing.

:blob5:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
saulANDcharlie":3204h3f8 said:

I'd like to start breeding Dubia but I'm a super duper tight budget so I'd like to know the cheapest places I can get them.

If you go to the For Sale section, you'll find someone selling smalls for $25 for 500 smalls shipped. You'll need to wait quite a while (up to 6 months) before you can start feeding from the colony though, but that'll be the cheapest way to go.

randommonks":719xd7b5 said:
saulANDcharlie":719xd7b5 said:

If you go to the For Sale section, you'll find someone selling smalls for $25 for 500 smalls shipped. You'll need to wait quite a while (up to 6 months) before you can start feeding from the colony though, but that'll be the cheapest way to go.
It's probably a waste of time/money to go that route for building a colony, since you'll need to be feeding your bearded dragons something while you wait. Better to spend a little bit more (~$30) up front and start feeding in one month rather than six.

*EDIT* Even if you are n a tight budget, you should weigh your long-term costs against the higher upfront costs of starting a decent sized colony. You can probably find someone that will sell you 5 cockroaches for under $10 shipped, but your bearded dragons will be adults by the time your colony is producing enough to sate your dragons. Juvenile beardies eat a lot, mine will eat 2 dozen crickets a day. If I buy those from the pet store that's $2.50/day, or $75 a month! I think it's a better plan to spend that $50-$75 on a good dubia colony setup and then never have to buy food again except for variety. You'll be saving money in just 1 or 2 months.

saulANDcharlie

Original Poster
I have to go cheaper, because I don't have the money for the upfront costs of a large colony, I know it's cheaper but I just can't afford it.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
How much are you willing to spend? Roaches in particular are an investment, especially to breed, as they are rather expensive to buy as simply feeders.

saulANDcharlie":wtxx46kt said:
I have to go cheaper, because I don't have the money for the upfront costs of a large colony, I know it's cheaper but I just can't afford it.
What are you feeding your beardies right now? And how much do they cost?

saulANDcharlie

Original Poster
I'm hoping to spend $25 or less(less is better)

They currently eat crickets, but when they're bigger I want to feed them Dubia. So I figure I better start a colony now.

I get 12-ish for $1(though the store usually eyeballs it, today I got about 50 for $3, last time I got about 100 for $2, great deal!)

saulANDcharlie":311hu5ya said:
I'm hoping to spend $25 or less(less is better)

They currently eat crickets, but when they're bigger I want to feed them Dubia. So I figure I better start a colony now.

I get 12-ish for $1(though the store usually eyeballs it, today I got about 50 for $3, last time I got about 100 for $2, great deal!)
If you pay $1/dozen and have 2 beardies, each eating ~15-20 a day, you're spending $75 a month already. It seems cheap while you're doing it, a few dollars here or there for crickets, but it adds up really fast. When I was feeding mine crickets I'd end up with like 20-50% of them dying as well. Are you getting dead ones too?

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Cheapest option for you now might be to order large quantities of crickets online until your dragon(s) hits 16" and then slowly switch them to superworms. I normally am able to get 500 supers for under $20 shipped and those might last me half a year since I feed only 7 every other day.

randommonks":2l6f5lek said:
Cheapest option for you now might be to order large quantities of crickets online until your dragon(s) hits 16" and then slowly switch them to superworms. I normally am able to get 500 supers for under $20 shipped and those might last me half a year since I feed only 7 every other day.
My crickets died constantly. And smelled horrible. Just worth noting if you plan to buy 1000 of those smelly little guys.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Oh I forgot to mention that often, there are members who just want to get rid of their colonies or overages in the For Free section so you should keep a sharp eye out for that. You never know when you might get lucky.

Trajega

Hatchling Member
Dont be afraid to check craigslist. There are a number of people who sell starter kits in my metro. And yes, they will sell loose if needed. Both of these for about 50-80% of the price for any of the online venders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom