where to get silkworms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
I know there is mulberry farm but they are in california and i live in michigan so it would be a lot for shipping. Was wondering if anyone knew of someone that sells them on eastern side of the country or anyone that dosn't charge a lot for shipping?

And what is a good site for learning how to raise them?

And do they smell bad if you breed them like when you keep crickets?

Thanks

My appoiligys, what I wrote does go against what the website says! At least you got a good website out of the bashing I took on here! :p I did read that they can cause problems and it was on this fourm, of course it could of been someone who sells crickets trying to stear them away from other feeders. If anyone comes up with the fat content of a silkie I'd like to know. You stay classy San Diego.

glenCOCO

Funny how you say that silkworms shouldn't be an everyday feeder but on the site you recommended it says the exact opposite.

IIRC, silkworms are actually the only kind of worms that can be used as a staple.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
glenCOCO":aff96 said:
Funny how you say that silkworms shouldn't be an everyday feeder but on the site you recommended it says the exact opposite.

IIRC, silkworms are actually the only kind of worms that can be used as a staple.

Ya i always read that they can be a good staple food because they don't have alot of fat, and there skin is soft so they are better then supers and mealworms. The website that you recomended says that they can be used as a staple food because they "Contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, can reduce inflammation, pain and best of all it can break down arterial plaque." And it also says that they have 63.8% of protein, so you are just counter acting what the website that you recommended.

And i would like people to answer my questions above that haven't been answered also.

Thanks

pl4life52

Hatchling Member
StLDragonMaster is wrong and they are a great staple and low in fat and no need to dust them
buuuut on to your questions
1.i live in new york and i have bought from mulberry farms and i am going to do so again soon they are the cheapest i found i ordered around 100 small silk worms last time and some cricket gut loader for about 24ish i believe with shipping might have been less
2. they sent it to me in a pet re dish and on the back it had step by step directions on how to take care of them
3. i am not sure on the breeding smell but i would think not because they have no oader in the first place and when breeding they turn into a cocoon and then a moth so i dont think much oader can take place but idk

i dont know any place on the east side but if you do find one please let me know id wanna check them out
hope this helps

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ok thanks alot i thing i am going to try and breed them to be my staple food for my bd's instead of crickets (They keep getting out and it is getting anoying), i hope it works out :D

I will tell you if i find one on this side of the country but the only ones that i have found so far have all been in california and there isn't very many either.

Thanks again everyone

pl4life52

Hatchling Member
no problem and umma order 2000 zebra silkworm eggs and try to grow and breed them but I hear it's the most difficult to breed lemmme know ur set up and how u do it I def wanna do it

theclub83

Hatchling Member
How old should a dragon b before giving them silkies? My Walter is 2-3 months old and just over 10.5".

Edit: i also wanted to ask if I wanted the very best for my dragon, would that be Phoenix worms and silk worms as a regular meal?

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
as i understand phoenix worms are just a smaller version of the silk worms, of course a much smaller version but they are both good sources of calcium and both have soft exteriors. Since silk worms can still be small at a young age i would assume it would be ok for any bearded to eat them. o and beardies love phoenix worms, they go crazy over them. I have not tried to feed mine silkworms but from what i hear they love them too.

They both are good staple foods but you also need to add the green in there too.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Then i don't see a problem with having phoenix and silk worms as the staple.

but they can get a little pricey if you don't breed your own (But i don't know how many Bd's you have so it might not be so expensive for you)

pl4life52

Hatchling Member
lol u better get that kidney ready then lol
i have fed my bearded dragon both silks and phoenix
when i ordered my silk worms i ordered the small ones which wer to small for her but she still loved them she would jump down from up top to come get them so the smalls would def be a good size for your bearded dragon
and the phoenix worms what i have no that i got about a week ago are realllly small like half the size of the silks just a bit fatter she likes them but she doesnt go after them as she did for the phoenix worms but i heard alot of dragons do like em thats why i got them i paid 8$ for 100 and still have some left over and they are more common at a reptile store the silks but they still might need to be ordered through them but for 8$ id say its a good chance if ur beardie will like them and from what i know both can be used as staples the phoenix worms have more calcium then the silks and silks have alottt more protien in them
oh and also with the phoenix worms they have to be kept in a cool place which i guess almost freezes them so they stay alive and it takes a whiiile for them to start moving i had to put mine on a heat pad for about five minutes to see movement
hope this helps

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actually waler can eat medium phoenix worms, that is what i feed my little beardies and they get them down perfectly fine. And yes to keep them alive longer you can put them into the fridge but if you keep them in there for to long they will die.

Your baby also could also eat small silkworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom