when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I tried my beardie with Dr Who yesterday -- he seemed more interested in getting back in his tank to worship his light bulbs. I guess he doesn't share my taste for science fiction. :( Either that, or the TV doesn't put out enough UVB. :wink:

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
LOL my Charlie's enclosure faces the TV - we regularly watch The Doctor and Supernatural and Star Trek TNG, etc together :lol: Then again, it could just be that I am watching it and she is patiently waiting for the opportunity to get back at me :shock:

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
NBGwen":3ordzefu said:
LOL my Charlie's enclosure faces the TV - we regularly watch The Doctor and Supernatural and Star Trek TNG, etc together :lol: Then again, it could just be that I am watching it and she is patiently waiting for the opportunity to get back at me :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless got a real fright this evening, he was trying to do a U turn under his old halflog hide and managed to get himself stuck , looked very tight and uncomfortable.

I had no choice but to pull him backwards by the tail to get him unbent and back out.... he didn''t like that all .... hissed once at me when I had him out on my chest and even gapped aggressively at me (he's never done that before !!) - thought I was in for a serious bite from him but he didn't bite me and after my comforting him on my chest for about 15mins the black beard was gone and he was relaxed and back to his normal self.
Puff did a similar thing a couple of times when he got too big for the same hide.

So Toothless has now got an A4 size mailing box as a makeshift hide and I've removed the old hide (back into storage), and looks like I don't have a spare jumbo HubbaHut (I was sure I had another one set aside in storage in the buffet), so I've ordered one for him.....

He's not impressed with the cardboard box temporary hide but I don't want to risk him getting stuck under his hide again.
He went straight into it at one end and crawled about inside it for about 10mins and came out the hole in the other end, and has refused so far to go back in of his own accord.... will probably have to put him to bed in it when I go to bed , I might have line it with a bit of paper toweling so it feels "right" to him maybe.
10pm and he's still up and giving me the stare , then Peppa and Rex are still awake too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor guy! I'm glad you got him out without a problem. I keep picturing Steve Irwin "look at this beauty. Danga, danga!" *boop* on the nose. Can you get the big habba huts over there? They work pretty well as a hide/bask for adults. Cozy but still plenty of clearance.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Isn't that just like a young beardie to blame his human slave when he outgrows his favorite hide and the human can't magically zap up something just like it only bigger? :roll:

Not to mention stubbornly continuing to try to stuff himself into it until he gets stuck and needs to be rescued. :banghead:

You just gotta love bearded dragons. More "fun" even than human children sometimes. :p

Hopefully Toothless will get over it and be able to make do with whatever is available until you can get him something "nicer", and you won't have to put up with him sulking for too long... :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2sn7d8f3 said:
Poor guy! I'm glad you got him out without a problem. I keep picturing Steve Irwin "look at this beauty. Danga, danga!" *boop* on the nose. Can you get the big habba huts over there? They work pretty well as a hide/bask for adults. Cozy but still plenty of clearance.
The least hazardous way to get him out was to grab hold of his tail and pull him backwards and out, his nose and head were well and truly jammed in there and I didn't want to risk injuring him more than necessary.
He is moving fine today and seems no worse for the experience. BUT IS REALLY MISSING HIS HOUSE.

Rex has had her Jumbo sized Hubbahut for about 3 years, and Peppa was upgraded to Puff's old Jumbo sized HubbaHut last week. Peppa loved her spacious "new" hand-me-down" hide right from the moment I gave it to her. As did Puff and Rex when they got theirs.

Ordered a new one for Toothless which I hope will be here Tuesday or Wednesday.

He refused to go into the box to sleep last night, I had to wait til I was ready to go bed and he was sound asleep on top of the box to slip him inside it - he's a stubborn little bugger.

Box is coming out during the day since he refuses to go inside it to have his siestas or go to be. He's got his original bark basking platform up on a 30deg slope so he can find some shade from his lights if he wants to nap and his head is under that in the shade right now - it's better than nothing.

Add the grumpiness from being up way past his customary bed time last night (he was still awake at 11pm and finally crashed at 11:30pm (ontop the box)) and the fact that his nose and throat are starting to shed.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Poor Toothless! Sounds like a truly grumpy boy with all thst going on...and shedding on top of it lol poor beardie I bet he's been throwing you that stink eye. It has to be the humans fault, right? ;)

I'm sure Charlie is miffed with me too. I'm away this weekend and my poor husband has feeding/caring duty...which means no snuggles this weekend. I expect either excitement at seeing me or stink eye lol. I go home today.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Went ontop of it and old favourite piece of bask (when he first come to live with us he used to sleep under it , now he's as big as it and likes to sit on it when basking) which I placed ontop of box hide . Refused to go down and into the box, and fell asleep there watching TV, was still awake when the lights switched off at 10pm.

Not cold tonight , so I'll leave him there for tonight.

He's a stubborn boy.... and there's no point waking him to put in the box hide.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
LOL yeah, definitely sounds stubborn!

Charlie, I think, was happy to see me...though her belly looks quite pudgy (my hubby said she ate a lot yesterday). That made me happy :)

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
This reminds me of the time my husband finished off the last can from a 12-pack of cheap root beer, and we had this empty cardboard box left over that we thought would make a nice bearded dragon sized hide for Puff, so we put it in his terrarium. I got tired about the same time we normally put the reptiles to bed back then and went to bed early, but "Daddy" stayed up a little longer watching TV, then he came in a couple of hours later and told me that Puff was having trouble settling down and going to sleep and maybe needed some bedtime cuddles. It turned out that he seemed to be afraid of the new box that we had just put in his living space -- we speculated that maybe he thought something was going to come out of there and get him. So we took it out and put it in the recycle bin -- problem solved. :roll:

They do seem to get used to their familiar surroundings, and even attached to their favorite things in a sometimes almost obsessive way. Hopefully Toothless will like his new furniture when it gets there.

I'm lucky that my husband is willing to help with critter care whenever I'm not up to it, even when I'm home, which is pretty much almost all the time. I don't think Puff cares who feeds him as long as he gets his bugs, and he puts up with "Daddy" slipping a leaf in his mouth while he's busy chewing on a cricket. It's about the only way we can get him to eat any veggies at all anymore, and my husband is getting really good at it. :mrgreen:

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Awwww...that sounds so adorable! Sad he got scared, but adorable too...

Yeah, I think my husband was extremely grateful I got home to care for Charlie LOL! He's not a reptile man by any means

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My husband is severely allergic to anything with fur. That's actually how we both ended up becoming reptile people (I had 2 cats, 2 ferrets, and a gerbil when we met). I suppose I don't have to tell anyone around here that, contrary to popular belief among "normal" people, you can cuddle a snake or a lizard. It doesn't have to be warm and fuzzy. :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":tctmy2b3 said:
Awwww...that sounds so adorable! Sad he got scared, but adorable too...

Yeah, I think my husband was extremely grateful I got home to care for Charlie LOL! He's not a reptile man by any means

Put Toothless into the box when I went to bed, and waited on the lounge for a while to see if he stayed put, I think he was so tired he simply went straight off to sleep again, 1pm and time to feed the scaley children and only Rex is up (but asleep on top of her Hubbahut) and Toothless is still inside the box.

Update : had snuggles, been fed, had good run about and poo (on lino flooring :) GOOD BOY - very easy to clean up there) and back into his tank , bit a basking on top of box and on his old bit of bark, and has gone inside the box of his own accord to have a nap where it's cozy - dark and warm.
....so he's accepted the box now.

Update2 : he's worked out all by himself after seeing mommy open the lid to take him out of the box that he can easily push the lid open enough to look around .... only needed to see the lid opened once and he's sussed it out. Told you Toothless is cleaver and a livewire.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I learned a new word from Reptiles magazine:

"cathemeral" -- "irregularly active at any time of night or day, according to prevailing circumstances"

Sounds like you have a little bit of that going on at your place. At our house, we have one diurnal bearded dragon, one crepuscular snake, one nocturnal human (my husband), and one "cathemeral" human (that would be me) who tries not to disturb the others when I'm up at all hours of the night and/or asleep during the day. :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ha12041437
Top Bottom