when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Cheakie showed up while I was feeding the big lizards , made it known she was here and wanted my attention by tickling my right foot then dashing up onto the lounge seat next to the one I sit on and staring at me while she was wriggling her tail like crazy ..... water skinks are very expressive with their tails :)

Decided to try my luck with handfeeding her, so placed a disabled cricket and a mealworm in the middle of my upturned open hand and placed the hand on the lounge where she could see it, a bit of hesitation , but she eventually crawled over for a closer look and very timidly stretched across and took the cricket , retreated to the far edge of the seat to eat the cricket then came over to took the mealworm.... takes a lot trust for a wild and ordinarily shy and skittish little skink to take food from my hand like that .

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That's one of the many reasons my husband and I never seriously considered getting either one of our reptiles a girlfriend and letting them have babies -- we wouldn't have the means to take care of them all, but I would have a really hard time giving away my "grandchildren". Not doable either way. :(

And now that the bearded dragon has tested positive for an "STD" (adenovirus), we wouldn't want to pass that on either. Even though he himself seems to be doing ok for the time being, we have to assume that he's still a carrier. Just not a good idea. I think I'd only enjoy watching them hatch if I knew they had at least a chance for a good future. :)

PS Not sure why this message didn't post where it was supposed to -- maybe we need to start a new thread.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":3n2atsex said:
That's one of the many reasons my husband and I never seriously considered getting either one of our reptiles a girlfriend and letting them have babies -- we wouldn't have the means to take care of them all, but I would have a really hard time giving away my "grandchildren". Not doable either way. :(

And now that the bearded dragon has tested positive for an "STD" (adenovirus), we wouldn't want to pass that on either. Even though he himself seems to be doing ok for the time being, we have to assume that he's still a carrier. Just not a good idea. I think I'd only enjoy watching them hatch if I knew they had at least a chance for a good future. :)

PS Not sure why this message didn't post where it was supposed to -- maybe we need to start a new thread.

adenovirus is virtually never encountered here in lizards (wild or captive bred) as is yellow fungus.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa had stopped using her old medium sized hide, for the last few weeks she's only been going under it if we slip her under at night when she's asleep.

She's too big for it now, and cant curl up under it any more and not much head clearance . So she's been upgraded and now has Puff's old JUMBO HUBBAHUT and she certainly seems to like it, been pancaking ontop of it since her feed and runabout time, is about 1" higher on top so closer to her UVB200 and basking globe. She'll have plenty of space under it to curl up and turn around too which she'll like.

Growth updates :
Peppa is 590g.
Toothless is 440g.

cf Rex is 659g (she's gained 15g in 3 months) .
Maybe Rex is getting a wee bit chubby with her middle age as she loves snuggles and chilling next to me more lately, actually protests about being put on the floor unless she wants to go there ....
\
update : a few hours later, Peppa is curled up under her new hide ..... I think she really likes it !

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Peppa's already bigger than my 5 year old male, but he's always been a little on the smallish side.

We got him one of those little plastic "caves" for a hide, but nowadays it's a little too small for him to stuff himself all the way inside, and we have it next to the ramp up to his basking platform, so he tends to get on top of it and use it for a "landing" between the bottom of the tank and the top of the platform, while the area under the ramp has become the hide, although he rarely uses it for hiding.

I like to think it's because he's learned that he's safe with us. :) Nowadays, on the rare occasions when he does go in his hide, it usually means he's upset about something, and we get to figure out what :? , unless the reason is already obvious.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":wnkbz394 said:
Peppa's already bigger than my 5 year old male, but he's always been a little on the smallish side.

We got him one of those little plastic "caves" for a hide, but nowadays it's a little too small for him to stuff himself all the way inside, and we have it next to the ramp up to his basking platform, so he tends to get on top of it and use it for a "landing" between the bottom of the tank and the top of the platform, while the area under the ramp has become the hide, although he rarely uses it for hiding.

I like to think it's because he's learned that he's safe with us. :) Nowadays, on the rare occasions when he does go in his hide, it usually means he's upset about something, and we get to figure out what :? , unless the reason is already obvious.

Yes , Rex and Toothless expecially go into their 1/2 log tunnels sometimes to sulk about things like :
>>>> I was not ready to go back in to my tank cause I was enjoying running about on the floor
>>>> I was enjoying that snuggle but was put back into my tank
>>>> no one is paying attention to me
>>>> TV sucks this avo / nite :(

Peppa and Toothless usually hang out in their caves if our little 6 yr old grandson is being particularly noisy and boisterous (he has no mute button :( ).

Mostly it's for mid afternoon siestas (is darker in there), 16hr photoperiod here , and at lights out.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
:lol: :lol: :laughhard:
I love their reasons for hiding -- especially the ones about being ignored by the human slaves, nothing good on TV, and no mute button on the grandchild :lol:

We do a 12 hour on & 12 hour off artificial photoperiod year round for both of our reptiles -- we figure they get enough seasonal variation from the natural photoperiod here in the subarctic, and they both seem to know when it's spring (to put it politely :roll: ).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
:lol: :lol: yeah, good stuff! Masterchef should be starting up again rather soon on Ten so good TV is right around the corner =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":2ubsynby said:
:lol: :lol: yeah, good stuff! Masterchef should be starting up again rather soon on Ten so good TV is right around the corner =)

Shh.... don't tell my wife Masterchief is coming back soon..... Rex and I will miss out on watching Doc Who and will have to rely on iView to see it if she knows Masterchief is on (Sunday nights). I've only just weened her off watching MyKitchenRules and the melodramas that stupid show.

Caught Rex headnodding at the very reaslistic CGI green anole (?) lizard (Harry the Lizard) in Death in Paradise the other night .... lol

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Whoa... doc, who? I bust by but to set up a VPN to Melbourne every year to watch Masterchef. You guys have the best version by far! Want to trade houses until July? =)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1hi7w38v said:
Whoa... doc, who? I bust by but to set up a VPN to Melbourne every year to watch Masterchef. You guys have the best version by far! Want to trade houses until July? =)

....nah.... think I'll pass.... I simply couldn't bare to be separate from my scaley 4 legged children for that long .... and I think they'd also miss me terribly too.

I think MasterChef will be repeated (all the eps one after another on Saturdays or Sundays (all day))if they do the same as they did last season ....I'll only have to get my missus to skip it one night so me and the lizards can watch Doctor Who , she can then catch up on the weekend.

or I'll have to suss out how to record one station while watching the other (new DVD / vidHDD recorder combo bought last year before the old analog TV went all wonky colours and was retired and replaced by the new 42cm digital TV. Guess I need to dig out the manual and have a look to see what the procedure is.

or I'll simple stream Doctor Who from ABC iView to the laptop while she's amused by her cooking show and their toyboy hosts.
I think it's possible the fancy new recorder to watch one station while recording another.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
No kidding -- Doctor Who? Yeah! Let's all geek out... :mrgreen:

Our telecommunications service provider (phone, internet, & cable TV) discontinued our service package a few months ago and forced us to pay more for less of what we need and more of what we don't need, but part of the deal was an extended cable package, like I didn't already have enough TV channels to keep track of, but then I discovered that it included a BBC channel that runs back to back episodes of Dr Who really early in the morning for several hours 4 days a week, and back to back Star Trek 3 days a week (Next Generation, Voyager, and original series, depending on the day). Science fiction heaven! :blob8: :blob5: I binged on it for several weeks until I realized I was exhausted and not getting anything done. :shock: (shell shocked, especially after several hours of Dr Who)

I suppose it's very unwomanly of me not to like cooking shows, and I'd probably be a better wife if I did. Unfortunately, I enjoy eating much more than I enjoy cooking. Not fair to my poor husband.

BTW, I wonder how many bearded dragons enjoy watching TV? I'm not sure what mine makes of it -- light and color and sound, but I don't know if he interprets it as anything he can recognize. Sometimes he sits on the computer keyboard in front of the monitor (when the computer is off and I'm using it for a TV, otherwise he'd be pushing buttons and making the computer do something weird), and looks up at the screen kind of quizzically -- then loses interest and tries to find some other mischief to get into, and about that time I have to scoop him up and put him somewhere safer before he falls off the table.

One time my husband plugged the camcorder into the TV and played a movie of the beardie chasing crickets to see if he would either recognize himself or try to go after the cricket on the screen, but he only watched with mild interest. My husband thinks that there's something about the way the electronics work that doesn't register with the way a bearded dragon's eyes work, but a friend of ours speculated that maybe he didn't try to catch the cricket on the screen because he figured the other bearded dragon was going to get it. Whatever... :?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
All mine have fav shows, or fav kinds of programs, and they certainly know the difference between the show and the ads and know when their show has finished.... they''ll watch the show , when the ads are on they loose interest , but resume watching when the show is back ,and they even fight sleep to watch movies they like and promptly disappear into their hides when the show is over.

Wriggles loved to sit up with arms draped over the rim of her "bed-tub" while watching movies I played on the laptop , her tub and laptop on the coffee table , she loved Jacky Chang movies especially - she'd be spell bound by them.... she loved the occasionally back strokes from me then too.
Show over she'd turn around and drop down , go have a good guzzle of water, maybe a snack , then she'd disappear into her little house.

I personally think access to TV enriches their lives.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
If your beardies can tell the difference between the show and the ads, then they're doing better than most human children. :mrgreen:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":1ispjo61 said:
If your beardies can tell the difference between the show and the ads, then they're doing better than most human children. :mrgreen:

The bluetongues do it too, so did Lucky and Wriggles (the water skinks) , even the wild water skink who is currently living behind/ under the lounge does it when she's chilling on the lounge headrest and the TV is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom