Whats a Giant Tanzinian Plated Lizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Try searching Giant Tanzanian Plated Lizard**

Common Name: Plated Lizards

Scientific name: Gerrhosaurus

Types:
G. flavigularis - Yellow-throated plated lizard.
G. major - Tawny ( sudan ) plated lizard.
G. validus - Giant plated lizard.

Life expectancy: They can live up to 10 years in captivity.

Size: 16 to 28 inches dependant on sub species.

Sexing: Males have obvious femoral pores as adults. As hatchlings they can be difficult to sex.

Activity Cycle: Active during the day, but like to hide from the sun, so provide burrows and dark areas for them in their vivs.

Position in Viv: Plated lizards are diggers, but also like to bask.

Humidity Requirements: They require a dry environment, but must have access to a reasonable water bowl.

Temperatures and Heating Equipment: Use overhead heating, such as a ceramic heating element on a thermostat to provide a basking temperature of 105F, an ambient daytime temperature of 85-88F and night time temperatures of about 75F.
UV Lighting: UVB full spectrum lighting is required and should be on for 12 - 14 hrs in summer and 10 hours in winter.

Housing: Minimum of a 4x2x2 enclosure

Substrate: You should provide a mixture of soil, sand and bark for them to dig in.

Decor: Stones to bask on, branches and twigs and hides. Another good idea is to provide underground burrows using drain pipe, but this can make them a little difficult to find.

Diet: They are omnivores and eat a variety worms, crickets, mouse pinks, and a variety of fruit and vegetables.

Water Supply: A large sturdy water bowl (such as a cat litter tray) should be provided at all times. This should be changed out regularly as you lizard will drink, bathe and defecate in this.

General Ease of Care: Because of their slow and docile nature, once the correct husbandry requirements have been established, they make relatively easy pets to look after.

Additional Information: Plated lizards are native to southern and eastern Africa and inhabit rocky semi-open dry areas. They are relatively slow moving docile creatures, making them excellent pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom