What would you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonsInKansas

Sub-Adult Member
How i understand it is that you would get some leatherback babies but none of them would be trans unless the letherback is a carrier for trans.

Pravius

Juvie Member
Lot's of probability in this question... and it depends on also on if the leather is a true Italian Leather. Many of the leather back genes that have originated in the US are a recessive gene while on the other side the Italian Leather is a dominant gene. So your percentages would look different depending on the gene that they carry.

Whatever you did get out of them would probably be yellow though. As far as the trans gene I believe it is a recessive gene.

Now we know the leatherback trait can co-exist with the trans gene so that's I think getting into double het genetics...

The square would look something like this:

dblhet2.jpg

You would need to sub the c's and g's for the trait's that we are talking about here. But would probably get an idea of what could be produced by that pairing.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
All of the babies would be het trans, and you should get leatherbacks if you have a dominate italian leatherback like they said already. It is all in the genes that the babies get but if the leather is dominate then you should get at least one leather probally more.

Have fun hope this helps!

Pravius

Juvie Member
lizzywoodwardBD":fe2bd said:
All of the babies would be het trans, and you should get leatherbacks if you have a dominate italian leatherback like they said already. It is all in the genes that the babies get but if the leather is dominate then you should get at least one leather probally more.

Any babies that were not in the homozygous translucent form would be het for trans but some would probably show up as visual trans, leather and trans can co-exist so some may take on that morph and some would probably just be citrus.... possibly some norms... it really just depends on the genetic background of the animal.

lizzywoodwardBD

Hatchling Member
Pravius":f5616 said:
lizzywoodwardBD":f5616 said:

Any babies that were not in the homozygous translucent form would be het for trans but some would probably show up as visual trans, leather and trans can co-exist so some may take on that morph and some would probably just be citrus.... possibly some norms... it really just depends on the genetic background of the animal.

There would be no trans babies unless the leatherback is het for trans because trans is a ressesive trait. You need both the parents to have trans gene to make trans babies. If the leather is het trans then yes you could get trans leathers, het trans leathers, het trans, and trans's. All of the babies will be a yellow as they get older, they should look like there parents color. when they come out of the egg they will be a gray color but after they shed you should start to see there real color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom