What substrate should I use?

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
So my beardie Swordtail licks EVERYTHING, so I have decided to put another kind of substrate in his enclosure to prevent impaction from the sand
Any suggestions?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have decided to put another kind of substrate in his enclosure to prevent impaction from the sand
I've used sand on and off throughout the years. Currently my girl Kiki is housed on playsand. I've never had an issue with impaction. Typically impaction is going to be caused firstly and foremost by improper husbandry.

If you're looking into getting away from sand (and assumingly loose substrate), Tile would be my vote. Followed by non-adhesive shelf liner, paper, or paper towels.

-Brandon

Lyrebird.Rainwing

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Swordtail
I've used sand on and off throughout the years. Currently my girl Kiki is housed on playsand. I've never had an issue with impaction. Typically impaction is going to be caused firstly and foremost by improper husbandry.

If you're looking into getting away from sand (and assumingly loose substrate), Tile would be my vote. Followed by non-adhesive shelf liner, paper, or paper towels.

-Brandon
Yes textured NON adhesive shelf liner or if you have a 4x2x2 tank zen habitats sells a nice black mat for their tanks
non-adhesive shelf liner is awesome! super easy to clean up.
Shelf liner seems quite uncomfortable though

ReptiSly

Beardie name(s)
Bilbo
Are those smooth or coarse? Are you getting any abrasions from using those? And what about surface basking temps? Do they get really hot?
They are semi smooth with coarse texture if that makes any sense. It's slate lol. Those shingles they use on million dollar homes and stuff. As for temps my slate on ground next to my loose is 2 degrees fahrenheit warmer. As for basking spot I use rock slabs. They are no warmer then I want them to be! No abrasions but I have mostly loose substrate with some slate tile on ground. Then almost rock platforms in the loose substrate. No issues even with Bilbo licking everything and anything.

Attachments

• IMG20230625100455.jpg
    IMG20230625100455.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 70

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom