What is the best forever size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
I did some research on this when I was getting my custom cage made for my baby dragon. I believe 48" x 24" x 24" is the average "large" sized enclosure people reccomend. The one I had built is 72" x 24" x 24", and it looks huge. My baby dragon, Rygel, was far too small for it when it arrived, so he's in his "baby" cage at the moment, but we'll be moving him into his big home sometime in December.

The most important things to consider are width (needs to be wide enough to accommodate the whole length of your beardie, and allow them to turn around without bashing their tail). I believe ideal length is anything from 36" and up, and height is probably best if it's not too high as it could be harder to get temps and UV height right. I believe 18" - 24" is about the average for height.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Its one of the main reasons I bought my Rankins. They take up less room.
When I was breeding bearded dragons I ran out of room in my house for all the enclosures.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Best? As big as you can give. I have a 4x2x4' and would go bigger if I had the space. I follow a blogger with a 5x3x3 that gets fully used. There is equipment available these days to heat and light even very large enclosures, it just depends on how much you can spend. Bigger enclosures allow more space to exercise and provide enrichment and all around I always recommend as big a setup as you can reasonably provide.

Minimum would be 4x2x2'

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Haha...I have a friend that has a two car garage set up for her dragons. They get the entire garage. So build one as big as your garage :) :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, custom build as large as you can. I have a relatively small apartment and my tank is only 36''x18''x18''. I'd love a larger tank but to compensate I set up two portable basking lights and give my guy free reign of the (safety checked, animal free) place when I'm home.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
I have a 65 gallon, i like to use the height as well as the length so that she has lots of places to explore.

I'd like to see this garage for the dragons @Rankins. I don't think I can convince my husband to park the truck on the street so I can get more reptiles... I don't see why it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom