What are ways to reduce the cost of owning a BD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my BD for a little less than a month now and I have probably put over 100 dollar in food alone.

I was wondering the ways you all use to reduce the costs in general with reducing the BD's health.

NegativeCreep

Sub-Adult Member
Yes, order feeders in bulk. Breed your own with self-sustaining colonies.
Eat what your beardie eats. Share fruits and veggies. This way, none goes to waste.

Tatty

Juvie Member
I garden. Growing a garden is an excellent way to feed a beardie for about 6 months out of the year. If you don't have a spot for a traditional garden, plan a container garden. Hydroponic gardening is an option also. Your beardie might even share and you would be doing a positive thing for both you and his health.

Tatty :D

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Roaches are the key. I'll bet none of thought we'd go from raising a dragon to farming bugs, LOL.

Bulk Superworms and cheap greens.

Jeff

amylee159

Gray-bearded Member
I agree. Buying feeders in bulk is the way to go if you can't get roaches (Im in Canada and can't get them). Also once the BD is older, you won't be feeding as much protein! :)

gulfbrzdawn

BD.org Addict
When buying your greens, buy the fresh bundles and not the pre-cut bagged ones. Not only are they cheaper, but that actually last longer too(as long as you put them in an air tight container or bag). Like negativecreep said try eating the same food your beardie does and then you don't have as much waste..By the same food I meant veggies,etc..NOT INSECTS !!! LOL

neecie

Juvie Member
Those new "green" plastic bags are great for veggies (and fruit). They're advertised on tv, but Target has them. You can wash and reuse the bags too. Cost $!0 for the box.............but you'll have them forever.
I use them for all my produce.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
citrusdragon":19a26 said:
Roaches are the key. I'll bet none of thought we'd go from raising a dragon to farming bugs, LOL.
Jeff
Very true I started a colony of roaches and supers and my monthly beardie food cost went from $600 a month to well under $50. This is for 9 beardies. :wink:

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
gulfbrzdawn":2f80d said:
Holy Cow!!!

There's families that don't spend that much on food for a month... :shock:
Believe me it was more than we spent on human food per month. Sometimes the humans go without but the beardies never go without. This was the reason for starting roach and super colonies so we wouldn't have to go without. :wink:

But remember I said that was for 9 beardies might I add 9 very spoiled beardies. :mrgreen:

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Buy your feeders in bulk. One great source is http://www.aaronpauling.com He sells lobster roaches which are a great feeder. Buy several thousand at a time and your feeding bill will go way down. Then you can check out http://www.theroachguy.com for lots of info on rasising dubia which are the best all around feeder to raise.

Dragons can get very expensive to feed, buying in bulk and starting your own breeding colony of feeders is the way to go.

Eric

qhgirl1

fresnowitte":ebd75 said:
citrusdragon":ebd75 said:
Jeff
Very true I started a colony of roaches and supers and my monthly beardie food cost went from $600 a month to well under $50. This is for 9 beardies. :wink:
:shock: Wow! Maybe I really do need to invest in roaches

wizbee

Juvie Member
HOly Moley! :? I just don't think I could actually raise roaches. LOL I live in Florida and they are things you squash!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom