Weight loss?

TheMix

Original Poster
Hi,

How do you get a beardie to lose weight?

I have a female, 3 years and 5 months. Weight is currently unknown, but she is a tad bit on the round side haha, nothing I'm too worried about considering she eats, sleeps, sh*ts, and loves swimming in the kitchen sink when I give her 2 baths a week (with electrolytes and calcium)

She is given 20-25 dubias a week.
6 blueberries a week.
Greens every day.

She's in a 120 gallon tank, where she utilizes the top half of the tank. She loves sitting on her big bammock between her heat lamp and uvb strip.

I have a leash, I'm just waiting for temps to warm up to take her out.

She went from a 40 gallon to a 120 gallon back in September of 2022 and ever since then, she's not for adventuring much outside her tank. I try to take her out to let her run around, but she runs back to her viv and scratches at it to get back inside lol.

Chamomile is my spoiled princess lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230430_170350_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230430_170350_Instagram.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 70

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hi,

How do you get a beardie to lose weight?

I have a female, 3 years and 5 months. Weight is currently unknown, but she is a tad bit on the round side haha, nothing I'm too worried about considering she eats, sleeps, sh*ts, and loves swimming in the kitchen sink when I give her 2 baths a week (with electrolytes and calcium)

She is given 20-25 dubias a week.
6 blueberries a week.
Greens every day.

She's in a 120 gallon tank, where she utilizes the top half of the tank. She loves sitting on her big bammock between her heat lamp and uvb strip.

I have a leash, I'm just waiting for temps to warm up to take her out.

She went from a 40 gallon to a 120 gallon back in September of 2022 and ever since then, she's not for adventuring much outside her tank. I try to take her out to let her run around, but she runs back to her viv and scratches at it to get back inside lol.

Chamomile is my spoiled princess lol
First cut back on the blueberries -- they are high in sugar and cause diabetes-those should be fed sparingly -- more salads if anything-- swimming is great exercise just please watch her --- outside time is good she can get exercise there - the dubias are fed 2-3 times per week I am guessing and total is the 20-25?

TheMix

Original Poster
First cut back on the blueberries -- they are high in sugar and cause diabetes-those should be fed sparingly -- more salads if anything-- swimming is great exercise just please watch her --- outside time is good she can get exercise there - the dubias are fed 2-3 times per week I am guessing and total is the 20-25?
Great info! Thank you.

Yes, I feed her about 10-12 on Sundays and Thursdays.

TheMix

Original Poster
Ok well try those suggestions I would get a weight on her and keep track to see how shes doing- how much does she weigh and is it possible shes gravid w/ eggs?
I'm not sure how much she weighs. It's been almost 2 years I think since she laid eggs. I haven't seen her make any attempts though.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I'm not sure how much she weighs. It's been almost 2 years I think since she laid eggs. I haven't seen her make any attempts though.
Ok get a weight on her kitchen food scale weigh in grams - keep track about every 2 weeks to see if shes starting to lose some - but you need a starting point -

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom