Water Crystals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelolly

I was wondering if someone could tell me what they are exactly? I bought some Dubia roaches and didn't get any water crystals and I need some like today and I don't know where to get them or what to ask for exactly.

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
If you don't have water crystals, you can use veggies or fruit. I feed my superworms and crickets chunks of apples and the end pieces of my beardie's salad.

Little D

Hatchling Member
Order your water crystals from theroachguy on here. I order 1 or 2 pounds at a time, then I have them for a while.

When you get them, they are little tiny white crystals. They have a water to crystal ratio that you mix them at, I believe I do mine - 8 cups of water and 3 teaspoons of crystals, then let them sit and by the end of the day, you will have a whole container of big water crystals that look like clear jelly.

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
at your local garded center look for "Soil Moist" it is a little costlier than getting the same product in bulk

romanfj

Hatchling Member
If you buy them from a garden center, make sure the crystals aren't colored. This often indicates they have fertilizer mixed in them.

Specifically, the gels are polyacrylamide. This is a polymer refined from petroleum and is sort of like a plastic. It's very porous and will hold a lot of water.

Don't know if anyone out there is interested, but it's also used to make gel used for protein separations and an old-fashioned technique of DNA/RNA separation called gel electrophoresis. A sheet of gel is made and, using a low voltage electric current, the proteins or DNA/RNA fragments are pulled toward the other end of the gel based on their electrical charge. The pores that hold the water for insect lovers provide avenues of travel for the proteins. So, the more strongly attracted to the opposite electrical charge at the other end of the gel that the protein is, the faster the protein will make its way through the gel. Fast proteins are at the far end, slow proteins are at the near end. Add a little bit of stain and you will have a series of horizontal bands showing the proteins' locations. This is the film they put on the light box on CSI or Law and Order to show the person's DNA analysis.

Frank

Triage

Hatchling Member
I found some water crystals on Ebay and bought them. I can't remember the price, but I needed them ASAP. :)

koiboydavid

Hatchling Member
Good stuff Frank! I never made the connection. I remember having to tape gel boxes up to pour gels. I am getting old!

hammerhead

Juvie Member
Some florists have them. They use them in cut flowers, avoiding a spill. Not sure if they sell them, but may give you some if you ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom