Viv pics only thread

puppytoes72

BD.org Sicko
wow,good job!any beardie would love that enclosure :D hope you dont mind but i have 2 suggestions though...get a better thermometer(those dial ones are no good ) and also beardies thrive in bright white light,not the moonlight or colored bulbs.they need bright white light to constrict their pupils and protect them from the uvb rays.

tenchi80

Ah don't worry about that. I have a temp gun as well as a UVB 10. inside. The moonlight bulb is just for a little warmth if it gets cold and also it makes a nice atmosphere. The heat lamp emits UVA as well... heat spot rings in at 105 at peak, full bright light, and cool spots (other side of cage and under the right side are at 80) Already have the colony of Lobster roaches started as well as two jars of waxworms for treats going. Crix, I'll be buying untill he gets a bit bigger. Already tried a colony of crix and well ... they stink, i mean anti coffee in the morning wakes you up kinda funk. Thats not folgers in your cup!
I've done my research and I'm not getting my beardie until i'm satisfied that its gonna be a good place for him, just trying to solve the humidity problem but I have some leads thanx to you guys. :study:

Groovinonfunk

Sub-Adult Member
tenchi80":01175 said:
Ah don't worry about that. I have a temp gun as well as a UVB 10. inside. The moonlight bulb is just for a little warmth if it gets cold and also it makes a nice atmosphere. The heat lamp emits UVA as well... heat spot rings in at 105 at peak and cool spots (other side of cage and under the right side are at 80) Already have the colony of Lobster roaches started as well as two jars of waxworms for treats going. Crix, I'll be buying untill he gets a bit bigger. Already tried a colony of crix and well ... they stink, i mean anti coffee in the morning wakes you up kinda funk. Thats not folgers in your cup!
I've done my research and I'm not getting my beardie until i'm satisfied that its gonna be a good place for him, just trying to solve the humidity problem but I have some leads thanx to you guys. :study:

HAHA right on bro! I dont see why you need crickets at all if you have a colony of lobsters. I raise lobster roaches myself. you should be fine with just those guys and a couple of waxies per week. if anything i'd say instead of crix get some silkies of phoenix worms. As I said before, I applaud your patience and wish I had done the same. I couldn't agree more with how bad crickets stink. I started off just getting orders of 250 which wasn't bad. then my first order of 1000 came in and that's when i decided to switch to roaches. I couldn't even go into the bin to get the cricks or i'd gag and feel like :puke: all over my room.

tenchi80

Well I want the colony of lobsters to be strong before I let them know they are only being sacrificed to a greater being. I feel a little sorry for them, not enough though :twisted:
I've already ordered Pheniox worms and I was thinking of breeding them as well but given their diet I think I'll pass. (SPOILER ALERT : they eat poop) Quick question ... Hand feeding vs let him hunt. Which do you guys think is better in general?

Groovinonfunk

Sub-Adult Member
how many lobsters do you have? i got 1000 from Aaron Pauling and that's all i needed to start feeding them off right away.

i've never heard of anyone breeding phoenix worms. i think you should look into getting silk worm eggs from mulberryfarms.com they're really cheap (and a little tricky to get to hatch and keep alive at first) but you can get like 1000 silkies for next to nothing if you do that.

tenchi80

YEah like I said I like to do my research Pheniox worms become Soilder flys.. huge nasty poop eating soilder flys. the flys don't even have mouths they breed then die. I looked into silk worms ... the general census is that they are hard to breed. I can't say for myself as I've not tried yet, but I think with the Roaches and wax worms I've got his meat and potatos ready to serve. I can't wait to get him.. I've already picked him out... Hypo Snow with lavander diamonds and orange around his eyes and sides. If the lady I'm buying it from is still holding him for me.

Groovinonfunk

Sub-Adult Member
tenchi80":31a65 said:
YEah like I said I like to do my research Pheniox worms become Soilder flys.. huge nasty poop eating soilder flys. the flys don't even have mouths they breed then die. I looked into silk worms ... the general census is that they are hard to breed. I can't say for myself as I've not tried yet, but I think with the Roaches and wax worms I've got his meat and potatos ready to serve. I can't wait to get him.. I've already picked him out... Hypo Snow with lavander diamonds and orange around his eyes and sides. If the lady I'm buying it from is still holding him for me.

just be careful not to over-do it on the wax worms. obviously you know your sh-it so i'm sure your beardie will love it. Bootsie's only live feeder for the past month or so has been roaches and she is growing faster than ever before. She eats some pretty huge ones (she's only 12" long but can easily munch away at the adults). Impaction is the last thing i'm worried about with her (i obviously did not just start off feeding her huge roaches but each day gave her just one that was bigger than the biggest one she'd gotten the day before.) I dont want to feed the adults obviously but by feeding her big roaches i dont have to feed as many which is good for the colony. She just started shedding her tail and hind legs i'm told (my girlfriend is watching her for me while i'm away on thanksgiving vacation.) I miss my girls terribly though

tenchi80

I only got 100 to start off with. didn't want to get over my head. I mean they are roaches no matter how they look at them. Very interesting behavior they have. Anyway i'll introduce the 1000 if I feel ready for it... Im not sure how much my beardie will eat so i'm kinda guessing numbers.. the crix i'll buy will be the main protein untill I can see what and how many roaches he will eat and after he gets bigger. My wife assures me i'm on a fine track. Still new at this.. but I want to be knowledgable.

Groovinonfunk

Sub-Adult Member
my point is just that you dont need to wait till he gets bigger to give him roaches.
http://www.aaronpauling.com sells 1000 roaches for $29 and I would seriously recommend you buy that.

Roaches are actually more nutritious and have more protein than cricks.
I got my order of 1000 and started feeding them off immediately. The thing with lobsters to keep in mind is that they are the fastest/easiest to breed of any of the roaches.

ringfinger

Sub-Adult Member
More pictures, less talk.
DSCF1491.jpg

DSCF1488.jpg

DSCF1575.jpg

emmini

Juvie Member
Everend":df00e said:
I want to start a thread here that is ONLY for posting your pic of your viv. Please don't turn this thread into an argument... err I mean discussion over the best substrate or light or temp or...

I think maybe Ringfinger was referring to the very first post? I know I was guilty of going off on a tangent, and PM'd instead. I don't think Ringfinger meant to be having a go at anyone in particular!

Groovinonfunk

Sub-Adult Member
my apologies... I thought it was directed at me. I dont think I was that rude... i said please and thank you. again, my apologies. please forgive me it's been a long and tiring day. really really sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom