Very Worried Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No the T 5 is a much stronger bulb than the T 8 that is why they recommend you change them out every 6 months-- that is why the T 5 is in a different fixture as well --- its more flat and the T 8 takes a regular fixture you can find in most Petsmarts and Petcos
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I didn't see it mentioned but what are you using to measure the temperatures? That thermometer under the light?

Also why are all the lights off in the picture you posted besides that 1 bulb? Do you have the lights on a timer?

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
I got some fishing wire and got it suspended. It's about 8-9 inches from the bottom of the tank, 6 from the top of the tallest hide/cave. It took some McGyver level ingenuity, a few choice words and a rip in the mesh but it's done. It also very awkward looking so I'll see if I can find another way but this will work in the meantime. I scares me even touching it to turn it on/off because it sways back and forth and I really can't afford a broken bulb right now

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Don't use switch unplug it till you get something more sturdy
Karrie in

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":2zxff7km said:
I didn't see it mentioned but what are you using to measure the temperatures? That thermometer under the light?

Also why are all the lights off in the picture you posted besides that 1 bulb? Do you have the lights on a timer?
I used to but the timer malfunctioned, caused 2 bulbs to burn out. I just turn it on at 9 am and turn it off around 930-10pm. I've been putting off contacting ZooMed for about a week but I think I'll look into it
-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":17dclm4e said:
Ok just wondering what your schedule was.

And the thermometer?

-Brandon
Yes, I'm still using that to read my temperatures, and I know they aren't super accurate but it's never read anything ridiculous to lead me to believe it's terribly far off the mark. I hope to get a laser temp reader as well as an actual hygrometer but after getting the fixtures as well as a student loan payment, I'm a little strapped until Tuesday

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sure temps can hold till tues-- but you do need to get a infrared heat gun--- $10 from Walmart home Depot
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is something you need to fix asap. As in go and spend 12 bucks today or tomorrow if its night for you on a thermometer. I would NOT wait until Tuesday.
I suggest you read this thread:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=167279

Just how uvb is extremely important to a dragons health, so is temperature equally or arguably more important.

Currently your thermometer is only reading the air temp up against the glass much closer to the heat of the bulb than your basking spot. Not only is this a useless measurement since you need a surface temp and these types of thermometers don't provide that, but they have been proven to be significantly inaccurate. 20 degrees off isn't a rare situation.

Especially with your basking bulb not having a dome reflector around it, and your reading of 105 so far above the baking spot, I am willing to bet your temperature at your baking surface is much too low.

Realize that if a dragon can't get its body temperature at least into the 95 degree range, metabolic function is severely limited. That means severely limited digestion. No nutrients being absorbed. That uvb?.... not doing much when the body isn't receptive to absorbing nutrients.

So do you see why it's imperative that you go out and buy an ir gun or a digital with probe end? They are so cheap now a days.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw pics of him. He looks like my dragons do when they wake up in the morning cold.

So im going to go against the grain on this one and suggest potentially holding off on force feeding until we can confirm whether or not your temps are in a suitable range. No need to stress your dragon more by force feeding slurry when potentially all you need to do is provide proper temperatures.

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":2h95d1rt said:
That is something you need to fix asap. As in go and spend 12 bucks today or tomorrow if its night for you on a thermometer. I would NOT wait until Tuesday.
I suggest you read this thread:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=167279

Just how uvb is extremely important to a dragons health, so is temperature equally or arguably more important.

Currently your thermometer is only reading the air temp up against the glass much closer to the heat of the bulb than your basking spot. Not only is this a useless measurement since you need a surface temp and these types of thermometers don't provide that, but they have been proven to be significantly inaccurate. 20 degrees off isn't a rare situation.

Especially with your basking bulb not having a dome reflector around it, and your reading of 105 so far above the baking spot, I am willing to bet your temperature at your baking surface is much too low.

Realize that if a dragon can't get its body temperature at least into the 95 degree range, metabolic function is severely limited. That means severely limited digestion. No nutrients being absorbed. That uvb?.... not doing much when the body isn't receptive to absorbing nutrients.

So do you see why it's imperative that you go out and buy an ir gun or a digital with probe end? They are so cheap now a days.

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw pics of him. He looks like my dragons do when they wake up in the morning cold.

So im going to go against the grain on this one and suggest potentially holding off on force feeding until we can confirm whether or not your temps are in a suitable range. No need to stress your dragon more by force feeding slurry when potentially all you need to do is provide proper temperatures.

-Brandon
Like I said, I'm strapped on money. I'll go tomorrow before work and see if I can get something. But after getting it, if the temps read low I won't be able to get anything to raise them at his basking spot. I can swap his basking bulb to the fixture with the reflector panels inside, that will probably get the heat up a bit

-Done and done. Can't believe I didn't realize the reflector would reflect the heat back down into his tank instead of out into the room. I thought I had knowledge but it turns out, I've barely even gotten started learning about caring for these animals

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand money is tight I'm just saying I'd be spending money on a thermometer before spending money on carnivore or critical care.

Putting your heat bulb in the reflector should help. Or you can lower your fixture to get it closer. You shouldn't have to spend any money on bulbs. Heck, when you get the thermometer you can try out some of your household bulbs. Just steal them from some of your lamps if you have to. Lots of people use regular household bulbs for heat lamps. If they provide the heat you need and aren't a colored light, that's all you need.

But you can figure all that out later. For now the goal needs to be making sure he's able to get warm enough. No need to think he's ill or something's wrong with him until you've ruled out the ABC's of proper husbandry.

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":1hjqvduv said:
I understand money is tight I'm just saying I'd be spending money on a thermometer before spending money on carnivore or critical care.

Putting your heat bulb in the reflector should help. Or you can lower your fixture to get it closer. You shouldn't have to spend any money on bulbs. Heck, when you get the thermometer you can try out some of your household bulbs. Just steal them from some of your lamps if you have to. Lots of people use regular household bulbs for heat lamps. If they provide the heat you need and aren't a colored light, that's all you need.

But you can figure all that out later. For now the goal needs to be making sure he's able to get warm enough. No need to think he's ill or something's wrong with him until you've ruled out the ABC's of proper husbandry.

-Brandon
Thank you for the info. I'm hoping the reflector will help. If I recall, when I had one in the reflector lamp, the temp read 120 or higher. Which is why I moved it to the other lamp, thinking it would be beneficial. I'm just feeling so uninformed even after doing tons of research

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Don't feel that way. You're doing all you can now which is more than some are willing to do.

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":2q76zmi0 said:
Don't feel that way. You're doing all you can now which is more than some are willing to do.

-Brandon
I appreciate everything you've told me, I just hope that's the issue. I do know their metabolism is tied to body temperature, so it would make sense that the low temps would cause his lack of appetite and him conserving his energy. I'm just very frustrated with myself but am glad that I'm not too stubborn to know that I may not be doing everything right possible

ChristGilley

Original Poster
Unfortunately, no hardware stores near me carry any of the inferred thermometer's at a reasonable price. The only thing I was able to find was a ZooMed probe but the reviews I've seen are spotty at best. I can order a really good temp gun on Amazon for about $15 but it won't get here until Tuesday. Does anyone have experience with the ZooMed probe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rollerboy
Top Bottom