Very Worried Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ChristGilley":g0mg2k1o said:
Unfortunately, no hardware stores near me carry any of the inferred thermometer's at a reasonable price. The only thing I was able to find was a ZooMed probe but the reviews I've seen are spotty at best. I can order a really good temp gun on Amazon for about $15 but it won't get here until Tuesday. Does anyone have experience with the ZooMed probe?

If this is the gadget : https://zoomed.com/reptitemp-digital-infrared-thermometer/
don't waste your money , it's only useful for indication of the temperature of wide surfaces .

You need some probes like these to get air temperatures and surface temperatures at a few places in each tank : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-AU/143006805732?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57482%26meid%3Dc1fa48a738574d769d75ba3a9d4ef97c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D163444983823%26itm%3D143006805732&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

and something like one of these to get a good indication of the surface temperatures https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Non-contact-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-IR-Laser-Point-Gun-Meter-Pyrometer/264111260550?epid=3027524171&hash=item3d7e420386:g
note the most important key features :
spot 12:1 (means 1 inch diameter measuring spot at 12" from the gun)
adjustable emissivity (if you know the emissivity of the surface you can make very accurate temp readings
the indicating laser spot
math functions built in (avg, max, min, medium)

I wouldn't be wasting my time checking big box shops , malls, hw and pet shops to find similar gear.

ChristGilley

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":37xji1g9 said:
ChristGilley":37xji1g9 said:
Unfortunately, no hardware stores near me carry any of the inferred thermometer's at a reasonable price. The only thing I was able to find was a ZooMed probe but the reviews I've seen are spotty at best. I can order a really good temp gun on Amazon for about $15 but it won't get here until Tuesday. Does anyone have experience with the ZooMed probe?

If this is the gadget : https://zoomed.com/reptitemp-digital-infrared-thermometer/
don't waste your money , it's only useful for indication of the temperature of wide surfaces .

You need some probes like these to get air temperatures and surface temperatures at a few places in each tank : https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-for-Fridge-Freezer-Aquarium-FISH-TANK-Temperature-AU/143006805732?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57482%26meid%3Dc1fa48a738574d769d75ba3a9d4ef97c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D163444983823%26itm%3D143006805732&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

and something like one of these to get a good indication of the surface temperatures https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Non-contact-Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-IR-Laser-Point-Gun-Meter-Pyrometer/264111260550?epid=3027524171&hash=item3d7e420386:g
note the most important key features :
spot 12:1 (means 1 inch diameter measuring spot at 12" from the gun)
adjustable emissivity (if you know the emissivity of the surface you can make very accurate temp readings
the indicating laser spot
math functions built in (avg, max, min, medium)

I wouldn't be wasting my time checking big box shops , malls, hw and pet shops to find similar gear.
(3 Pack) Zoo Med Digital Terrarium Thermometers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3A8RZ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_0OzQCb7D8NGCK
This is the only thing I can get local right now. I can order a decent laser temp gun but it wouldn't get here until Tuesday. I've lowered all his lights, not low enough to where he will get cooked, but low enough to where the heat should actually be able to get to him especially with it being in a reflector dome. He didn't even really react to me moving a bunch of stuff in his tank and smacking the domes around but now that the heat is a bit closer to him, he's moved around. He's not opening his eyes but it's also past our bedtime so he's probably a little upset I went and woke him up

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That digital probe will work --- the heat gun from Amazon you can get same gun from Walmart.com for $11 or in store--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Digital with probe end will work. It might not be spot on to the degree, but it will be within a couple.

Remember to let the probe rest in place for 5 to 10 minutes to come up to temp. Some of the cheap ones take awhile while some of the better ones are quicker.

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":z398qo53 said:
That digital probe will work --- the heat gun from Amazon you can get same gun from Walmart.com for $11 or in store--
Karrie
They aren't available from Walmart here. I couldn't find a listing at all until I just Google searched temp gun. The Walmart listing that came up said item no longer available

ChristGilley

Original Poster
I'm not sure if his heating is the issue anymore. Both the analog thermometer and the probe are reading within 5 degrees of each other. Analog is showing 115, probe is showing 120. I need to raise the heat lamp a bit, but he hasn't been on the hot side at all since I lowered the lamps. He's also way more lethargic today and barely opening his eyes. I just don't know

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It might be too hot I would get the temp down to 105-110-- but that could be issue-- go to Walmart.com I just got one from there not even a month ago-- type in Infrared Heat gun in search
Karrie

ChristGilley

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jo0wh87 said:
It might be too hot I would get the temp down to 105-110-- but that could be issue-- go to Walmart.com I just got one from there not even a month ago-- type in Infrared Heat gun in search
Karrie
They don't carry it anymore, I looked online and Walmart doesn't have the item. Everywhere else local has $50-$100+

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You need to put the probe on the basking surface. Is that what you did?

-Brandon

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":1d6m1o5f said:
You need to put the probe on the basking surface. Is that what you did?

-Brandon
Yes, the temp is dropping a little but staying over 100 now that I raised it a bit. I'm just worried because he just seems so much worse today

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok. Adjust it until your probe is reading about 105. Remember to give it around 5 or so minutes to settle. Can you post a pic of the basking spot and where you're placing the probe?

I'm sorry I know this is frustrating and worrying. But you're doing the best you can right now and we are all here to help you through this.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Right now I don't think his symptoms are from lack of heat. Is your little guy from a pet store ? Sometimes they have healthy ones but sad to say some carry the atadenovirus. Have you been able to get him to eat any of the Oxbow Critical Care ?

ChristGilley

Original Poster
claudiusx":ahh2ccpu said:
Ok. Adjust it until your probe is reading about 105. Remember to give it around 5 or so minutes to settle. Can you post a pic of the basking spot and where you're placing the probe?

I'm sorry I know this is frustrating and worrying. But you're doing the best you can right now and we are all here to help you through this.

-Brandon
I had to leave for work, if you look at the pics I posted earlier in the thread, the green cave in the corner is his basking spot. Probe is on top of that. It was reading 111 when I left

ChristGilley

Original Poster
AHBD":2fviqyar said:
Right now I don't think his symptoms are from lack of heat. Is your little guy from a pet store ? Sometimes they have healthy ones but sad to say some carry the atadenovirus. Have you been able to get him to eat any of the Oxbow Critical Care ?
He is, someone threw out the little stash of it I had so I don't have any to offer him. Is there anything I can get from a grocery store to give him?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm sorry that your little one is having so much trouble. You can try some of the baby foods mentioned before like chicken, sweet potato, green bean. See if your pet store carries Repashy grub pie or a liquid supplemental food like Fluker's Repta boost or Zilla jump start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom