Vermiculite or Perlite for your eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

midnight_962002

Sub-Adult Member
Personally, I like the Perlite for my eggs. I have used both and the Perlite seems to maintain a humidity that is closer to what I wanted. The vermiculite stays wet longer but, I always had the issue of condensation forming on the egg. Not sure why.

Ernie

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
How do you prepare the perlite and maintain it through the incubation process?

midnight_962002":a5a47 said:
Personally, I like the Perlite for my eggs. I have used both and the Perlite seems to maintain a humidity that is closer to what I wanted. The vermiculite stays wet longer but, I always had the issue of condensation forming on the egg. Not sure why.

Ernie

Akeath

Gray-bearded Member
I prefer to use Vermiculite because I read in a lizard book, Lizard Care from A to Z I think it was, that Perlite has been found to sometimes produce toxic vapors that can harm the eggs.

beardedwizard

Extreme Poster
Vermiculite, straight from my local garden center... $6.99 for a 2lbs bag... As for course or fine, it really doesn't make a difference, but I believe what I have is the fine...

Anthony

sddragons

Juvie Member
Original Poster
How does everyone prepare it to use for eggs. Do you soak it for a while in hot water and then drain the water or leave some water in there.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
I put warm water in and mix it until it clumps without dripping. It should be soaked but not dripping.

I prepare a few containers ahead of the clutches so they are close to the correct temps when I place the eggs inside.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom