UVB meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you want one that will be effective, you'll want to go with a Solarmeter. I use the 6.5 which measures UV Index and find that a good way to both measure UVB output from lighting and to compare it to that of sunlight. They list for about $250 on the Solarmeter site but now and then I see them crop up for under $200 on sale.

LouP

Original Poster
Got the 6.2, nice meter but I was worrying about to much uvb but turns out that there is not enough because of the screen on top.

LouP

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I also have the Solarmeter 6.2. I'm pretty happy with it, but I always try to remind myself that it doesn't tell me if my Beardie is getting enough. His health tells me that. The meter only tells me when it's time to replace the lights.

Screen cuts out some of the UVB but not all of it. If you need the screen for security you can still make up for it by making sure that the basking area is close enough to the lamp.

LouP

Original Poster
I'm only getting a reading of ~30 uw/cm2 in his basking spot and it's about 6 to 8 inches from an Exo Terra Solar-Glo 125 watt mercury vapor lamp. I got the meter because I was concerned he was too close to it and getting cooked. Instead, I'm thinking he needs more uvb now.

LouP

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
6.2 is good too, just measures differently. I'd shoot for having around 100-175 or so uw/cm2 in the basking area.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The exoterra MVB have been reported of have very fast decay rates. A bulb upgrade (and maybe brand changes) sounds in order.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Those mercury vapor bulbs scare me. I've heard rumors that they can explode, but that some brands are better than others. I'm using the tubes for UVB along with old fashioned incandescent bulbs alongside them for heat, and I have them all on dimmer switches so I can dial the heat up and down as needed without having to move the lamps. Works for me, but I know there are lots of other ways to provide reptiles with the heat and light they need.

One thing the meter has showed me is that there is a wide variation in the amount of UVB that the tubes put out even fresh out of the box. There must be something about the manufacturing process that makes it hard to get it just right :?

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Artificial UV is still something of an art rather than science. All sorts of things can effect the actual output: temperature, how long the bulb has been on, where along the bulb you measure, how long the bulb is, quality of the ballast in the fixture, quality of the electrical supply in the house even time of day can change it a bit.

If you are comparing different brands or types - a 6.2 won't work for that so you'll see variation there too.

LouP

Original Poster
Thanks, not comparing. Just trying to get enough uvb to shine on him. Bought more stuff last night in this never ending struggle. lol

LouP

LouP

Original Poster
6.2 measures uvb only. 6.5 measures the uvi index which is a combination of the uvb A and uvb B. Ideally you could use both. I have a 6.5 on the way. This way I can get the reading for the uvb and then get a read on the uvi to make sure I don't cook him in an effort to make him healthy. ;-)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
The UV Index is based on a weighted curve, and is a close estimate of the skins D3 action curve. So the 6.5 looks at "useful" UVB and gives that more weight than less useful or UVA.

The 6.2 is a broadband meter that measures over a range and gives a reading of the total irradiance. Since different parts of the spectrum can be more intense from lamp to lamp or lamp to sun the numbers aren't comparable. It's still fine for judging the output and decay of the lamp.

In practice the irradiance value isn't as easy to use as the UV index which is why the 6.5 is recommended as the one to get if your only getting one.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks.
So if I'm just using it to tell me when it's time to replace the tubes, and given that I don't want to spend extra money unless it's absolutely necessary for my beardie's health and safety, do you folks think that my 6.2 is good enough? :?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep. The 6.2 (either one really) will tell you how much the bulb is decaying over time. My meter has shown me that my T5 bulb has lasted 2+ years without need of replacement =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom