Permanent eye bulging for 5 years.

Dagnarok

My bearded dragon just turned 7 in October. He's had permanent eye bulging for 5 years now without deviation, I've been to multiple vets we've used ointments, antibiotics, checked for vitamin A overdose and deficiency and we've never been able to fix it, I use Arcadia 12% T5 high output tube lighting ,I bought a 265 dollar have a solar meter to check if he's in the proper Ferguson zone, my other dragons have been kept in the same condition and fed the same diet and no other dragon has had this problem

I've read about a condition called frog eyes and also someone talking about the blood vessels getting stuck so they can't release the swelling after puffing their eyes to shed, there's supposedly a surgery, but it's very risky, does anyone know the proper name for this condition?

If someone knows an expert bearded dragon vet can they tag them please 🥺 I feel bad because he has trouble seeing.

Attached are pictures of his eyes

Attachments

• 20231118_182309.jpg
    20231118_182309.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 53
  • 20231118_182213.jpg
    20231118_182213.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20231118_182032.jpg
    20231118_182032.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 47

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
My bearded dragon just turned 7 in October. He's had permanent eye bulging for 5 years now without deviation, I've been to multiple vets we've used ointments, antibiotics, checked for vitamin A overdose and deficiency and we've never been able to fix it, I use Arcadia 12% T5 high output tube lighting ,I bought a 265 dollar have a solar meter to check if he's in the proper Ferguson zone, my other dragons have been kept in the same condition and fed the same diet and no other dragon has had this problem

I've read about a condition called frog eyes and also someone talking about the blood vessels getting stuck so they can't release the swelling after puffing their eyes to shed, there's supposedly a surgery, but it's very risky, does anyone know the proper name for this condition?

If someone knows an expert bearded dragon vet can they tag them please 🥺 I feel bad because he has trouble seeing.

Let's have Tracie help on this- she's a vet tech on here
@Drache613

Dagnarok

Original Poster
Let's have Tracie help on this- she's a vet tech on here
@Drache613
Thank you so much, I've been trying for years here in Las Vegas and I just can't seem to find a good vet, I just want to somehow alleviate the pressure so he can see properly again, I love my baby boy Kugmo, and want him to be happy.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

This type of condition is not real common but there are still cases out there. The frog eyes is
what a lot of people call this.
Personally, if it doesn't seem to negatively affect his vision or eating, etc a surgery might not be
a good idea. Do you have a copy of his blood test by chance?
What type of foods are you giving him?

Tracie

Dagnarok

Original Poster
Hello,

This type of condition is not real common but there are still cases out there. The frog eyes is
what a lot of people call this.
Personally, if it doesn't seem to negatively affect his vision or eating, etc a surgery might not be
a good idea. Do you have a copy of his blood test by chance?
What type of foods are you giving him?

Tracie
I don't have a copy of his blood workup handy but I'll try and take him to the vet again, but Everytime they do the test looking for vitamin deficiency or overdose they say he's fine, he eats collard, mustard and turnip greens, dubias, supers and hornworms trying to keep it 80% greens 20% bugs, and he gets calcium with D3 because he doesn't have a mercury vapor bulb, I also use rapashy vitamins sprinkled weekly.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie

What substrate are you using? As I would not recommend loose substrates because of his eye.

Dagnarok

Original Poster
What substrate are you using? As I would not recommend loose substrates because of his eye.
Funny you mentioned that, we use a padded rubber linoleum tile, and sometimes industrial AstroTurf that we clean with chlorhexidine and then power wash, I just changed him to gravel from Australia, but if your concern is feeding, we don't feed him on the gravel since his eyesight is so hindered from the bulging eyes.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you have an Arcadia t5 high uvb output bulb you need to switch to calcium w/out D3 for the most part. Beardies can get too much D3 , there's a chance that it could be part of the problem although it also seems to [ possibly] be partly genetic.

Nikki.D

Hatchling Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Garnie
Funny you mentioned that, we use a padded rubber linoleum tile, and sometimes industrial AstroTurf that we clean with chlorhexidine and then power wash, I just changed him to gravel from Australia, but if your concern is feeding, we don't feed him on the gravel since his eyesight is so hindered from the bulging eyes.
His substrates are good. So they obviously don’t negatively impact his eye. Did you take him to an exotic vet? If so this problem would need further investigating.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, I agree. Let's try decreasing the calcium supplementation as AHBD suggested. Since you are using a high output UVB he should be synthesizing adequate D3 production for bone strength. Regular calcium should be fine for him. I am not sure whether or not that is the issue, but we can definitely help with trial & error to see whether or not we can see any type of improvement.
No need to take him into the vet, if not needed. They should have a copy of his blood test to be able to get one to you.

Tracie

Dagnarok

Original Poster
Hello,

Yes, I agree. Let's try decreasing the calcium supplementation as AHBD suggested. Since you are using a high output UVB he should be synthesizing adequate D3 production for bone strength. Regular calcium should be fine for him. I am not sure whether or not that is the issue, but we can definitely help with trial & error to see whether or not we can see any type of improvement.
No need to take him into the vet, if not needed. They should have a copy of his blood test to be able to get one to you.

Tracie
Actually I look at my bulb packaging again and noticed it was the one that had D3 and had compensated for that by gettin Osteo-Form without D3 I'm sorry for the confusion. I was thinking about my old lighting the reptisun t5 at that time I had the D3 calcium.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom