Dust on the UVB lamp

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Today I made another control measurement of the level of UVB in the terrarium.
On the new lamp, the UVB value in the basking zone was 130-135 µW/cm2, and today my UVB meter showed 95-98 µW/cm2, i.e. less by 30%. I had a replacement lamp, but I decided to look into the reasons, because I planned to change it only after 3 months.
I know that a bad reflector can have a big effect on the UVB level and I had the idea that it might be dusty. Outwardly, it looked perfectly clean, and it was difficult to tell about the lamp, because color of the lamp hide any dust.
I carefully wiped with a dry soft cloth both the lamp and the reflector, after turning on my UVB again shows 130 μW / cm2!
I want to draw the attention of all forum participants to this - do not forget to periodically wipe the lamp and the UVB lamp, because this can cause a decrease in UVB by such a large number - 30%

Last edited:

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Wow, that has never occurred to me. Glass blocks 100% screen 30 to 50% i really does make sense that dust would block it also.
Thats good info, thank you for sharing 🙂

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I think a lot depends on the substrate.
I have sand and it is a little dusty.
But I didn't even think that the dust has such a strong effect. Dust is clearly visible on a top black arcadia lamp reflector and almost invisible on the glass lamp, it is looked like clean, but it is there and greatly decrease the UVB

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
I have sand/reptisoil mix in some of mine, I'll be cleaning them tonight!!!!

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
I have sand/reptisoil mix in some of mine, I'll be cleaning them tonight!!!!
I want to clarify that most of the dust on the lamp lies on top.
IMG-d62c6adc50713f12813f5f0f6eea9402-V.jpg

Therefore, you need to place a cloth between the reflector and the lamp to remove dust, or simply remove the lamp and wipe it from all sides.
IMG-35c5c13544cba822781afaba5576d80d-V.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Yeah, I'll just pull the lamps and wipe them down, one get replaced today anyways, but go figure it's in a habitat without the sand lmao 🤣

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom