Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok I am giving info on UVB's you went from bad to bad -- :(
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Please send it back ----------------
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1bjbaja3 said:
Ok I am giving info on UVB's you went from bad to bad -- :(
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
Please send it back ----------------
Karrie
Ok I canceled it. What about the vapour uvb light? https://www.amazon.com/Mega-Ray-Mercury-Vapor-Bulb-Watts/dp/B00TQG6DRI/ref=as_li_ss_tl?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00TQG6DRI&pd_rd_r=6e068594-9a65-4942-91bb-faaf6f751e31&pd_rd_w=HKGBV&pd_rd_wg=GY7mM&pf_rd_p=1b7ae7c4-8437-4495-a779-460fb30ae641&pf_rd_r=M7F0Q9VNDT8958T8N665&psc=1&refRID=M7F0Q9VNDT8958T8N665&linkCode=sl1&tag=reptileguide-20&linkId=9461e33350fa0bc24d7c6b03e57c0689&language=en_US

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Those are supposed to be good but some of them do not emit enough UVB and the tube fixtures need to be supplemented --- I am not sure if this brand is one of them -- the Solor Glo is another good one but I do believe they need to be supplemented w/ another UVB -- we often recommend the T 8's but the need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches and NO cover over the fixture --I can find out about the Mega Ray --
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3c2z1jag said:
Those are supposed to be good but some of them do not emit enough UVB and the tube fixtures need to be supplemented --- I am not sure if this brand is one of them -- the Solor Glo is another good one but I do believe they need to be supplemented w/ another UVB -- we often recommend the T 8's but the need to go inside the tank w/ a distance of 6-8 inches and NO cover over the fixture --I can find out about the Mega Ray --
Karrie
Ok let me know if you can

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can let him sit on you for as long as you can stand the heat -- those rays will do him good just be careful he doesnt do a superman and fly off of you --- you dont want to lose him outside -- :)
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
This is the response I got from AHBD about the UVB's
It's probably fine at 10" but I've read both good [ mostly ] + some bad reviews. I think it's always good to have a long tube, at least as a back up even if just used 1-2 days out of the week which will extend the life of the tube for more than a year because of not using it every day
I am assuming shes talking about the Mega Ray I know they recommend one for the Solar Glo as well so either way your going to end up paying more money out for both - it would be cheaper to switch over to the 24" Zoo Med or the Vivarium fixture that one is $32 -- plus the new bulb --
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee":o03lzybn said:
This is the response I got from AHBD about the UVB's
It's probably fine at 10" but I've read both good [ mostly ] + some bad reviews. I think it's always good to have a long tube, at least as a back up even if just used 1-2 days out of the week which will extend the life of the tube for more than a year because of not using it every day
I am assuming shes talking about the Mega Ray I know they recommend one for the Solar Glo as well so either way your going to end up paying more money out for both - it would be cheaper to switch over to the 24" Zoo Med or the Vivarium fixture that one is $32 -- plus the new bulb --
Karrie
Ok where would I put the basking light if one is a hood and the other is a dome. Also they are all out of stock

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Does not surprise me - what site did you look I found one that had them in stock - it was this one
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html I would call them and see if they have them --- if ordering a T 5 it can go on top of the screen basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath --- bulb needs to be changed out once a year I usually do mine a month before -- your dragon will be alot happier I believe these people are out of CA -- pangea has the Vivarium in stock do not use the bulb that comes w/ it its not for reptiles --- I sent all kinds of info for you on several post back
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21egl555 said:
Does not surprise me - what site did you look I found one that had them in stock - it was this one
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesa ... o-med.html I would call them and see if they have them --- if ordering a T 5 it can go on top of the screen basking decor needs to be 8-10 inches directly underneath --- bulb needs to be changed out once a year I usually do mine a month before -- your dragon will be alot happier I believe these people are out of CA -- pangea has the Vivarium in stock do not use the bulb that comes w/ it its not for reptiles --- I sent all kinds of info for you on several post back
Karrie
I found 1 in stock but it wont be here till the 27th. If I get that where would I put my basking bulb because doesn't the uvb need to be on top of his basking spot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No you can have a different area for the UVB - mine are not in the same area - my Zen is a 120 gallon and I have the basking light to the back of the tank w/ a piece of decor that offers different gradient heat for them both - (I have 2 tanks) both UVB's are to the front of the the tank in the middle - so its situated in the warm side 90's -- the dragon will go to the light he needs so it is optimal for them to be together but sometimes that is not possible - just get your UVB fixture situated then move your decor pieces its easier to move them around instead of the fixture -- Are you putting the fixture on top of the screen or inside the tank?
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3jxf4395 said:
No you can have a different area for the UVB - mine are not in the same area - my Zen is a 120 gallon and I have the basking light to the back of the tank w/ a piece of decor that offers different gradient heat for them both - (I have 2 tanks) both UVB's are to the front of the the tank in the middle - so its situated in the warm side 90's -- the dragon will go to the light he needs so it is optimal for them to be together but sometimes that is not possible - just get your UVB fixture situated then move your decor pieces its easier to move them around instead of the fixture -- Are you putting the fixture on top of the screen or inside the tank?
Karrie
On top I think

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so when you get it your basking decor piece needs to sit directly underneath it distance approx 8-10 inches -- bulb should be replaced in about a year - I usually change mine out about a month before --
Karrie

Dylanjk819

Original Poster
KarrieRee said:
Ok so when you get it your basking decor piece needs to sit directly underneath it distance approx 8-10 inches -- bulb should be replaced in about a year - I usually change mine out about a month before --
Karrie[
I have a double dome light which is about 15 inches long I'd say so it takes up the whole area above the basking decor. Which means there wouldn't be room for the hood to be directly over top of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom