Truly Reaching Out For Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
Oh lord.. That photo.. No words.. This times 1000 :laughhard:

I am so happy he's putting on that weight!! And pooping normally! :blob8: :blob5: :blob8:

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
Hooray for Leo!!!! Sounds like he is doing great. Maybe time to see if he will eat veggies on his own soon? After all this illness and coddling, he is going to be one spoiled baby!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Megan,

Wow that is an impressive shot! :D He is trained isn't he? Poor thing.
It sounds like he is doing a lot better now also. You have done a phenomenal job with him getting himself back to health, amazing.
Hopefully he will start to eat his veggies again soon since he is tearing up his worms right now!
Talk about spoiled...........LOL

Tracie

HuckWeb

Hi Megan! And ofcourse; Leo, Spaz, Helen and Fiancee :)

I have been following your plight w/ the ever loveable Leo. I am so very sorry for everything that you and Leo have been through over the past few months but it has been an education and inspiration to other Beardie owners, well we all know who actually owns who but you know what I mean 8) I know I have started to do more research on supplements etc to better my babies.

Thank you for being such a great mom and the soul of 'pet' loyalty and compassion. We should all have a bit of you in us.

Head bumps to you and Leo. Keep fighting the good fight.

Jamey and my herd; Pog, Bama & Dweezle

nordica

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My thanks to everyone for all of your support, and your kind praise. I'm just doing the best that I know how, and I'm so grateful to have the means to have done what I've been able to do. In this economy, I count myself lucky to have a job, and doubly lucky to have one that pays me enough to afford all of Leo's Vet bills. Well, technically, the majority of the money I spent on Leo's bills were from emptying out the account I had saved up for our Wedding, but still. :wink:

I got in late LATE last night from my trip, to the same picture that I had found the last time I came home; Leo asleep in his hide, and a nice pile of formed poo waiting on his basking towel. He looked great when I woke up, even following my movements around the room. I gave him the last of his meds, which he took well, and then his little "mini slurry" of bee pollen and probiotics (really, it's just those two things mixed with a tiny bit of baby food and warm water, because it's easy to administer that way). He was feeding off of the syringe really well, when I got a little scare... he was swallowing things down nicely, and then I noticed a tiny drop of the mixture coming out of the nostril from the same side I was feeding from. I had a little panic moment, dropped everything, and immediately "tea potted" him. While the TINIEST bit slowly oozed out of that nostril, Leo just calmly sat in my hands, looking at me with an expression that fairly screamed, "What the heck are you DOING, Mom?? I wasn't done eating that!" I've watched him all day, and not once has he regurgitated anything, swallowed anything back down, coughed, or had anything else drain from that nostril, so it might just have been a fluke.

I also weighed him again (I pretty much still weigh him every other day or two), and he's holding steady at 615 grams. :mrgreen:

He ate really well for me today, gobbling down seven medium- and large-sized dubia nymphs, and twenty waxworms. I hope he's thankful, because I always dig through my roach colony to find any newly-shed dubias of the size I'm looking for, so his poor pampered stomach doesn't have to deal with any excess chitlin. :roll:

I'll be going to the grocery store tonight, to pick up some more fresh greens and squash for everyone. I plan on now adding some salady bits to the buggies that I hand-feed him, since he's starting to gain a bit of weight back, and is doing so much better. He also has his next Vet appointment next Saturday (the 25th), as a follow-up, where at the very least I plan on having them take more blood for a recent work-up. I may have to wait to run follow-up cultures though, until enough time passes after his last medication doses.

Menolly07

Juvie Member
I want a happy dance emoticon... I want a butt wigg.... Oh...... Wait... I have one of my own...
"(_(_) (_|_) (_)_)" Happy butt wiggle dance!!! *shake shake shake* :blob5: :blob8: :blob5: "(_(_) (_|_) (_)_)" *shake shake* :blob5: :blob5: *shake* "(_(_) (_|_) (_)_)"

nordica

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So Leo seems to be really subdued today, almost like he's, I don't know, for lack of a better term... like he's depressed.

He was really mellow yesterday, but I didn't get to spend much time with him, as I was out-of-town for my Sister's baby shower. He hadn't eaten yesterday, but I wasn't worried as he had eaten a LOT on Saturday. Today, he had his morning poo, which was nicely formed. Afterward, he had a nice bath, and a good scrubbing. I gave him his weekly Serrapeptase and Vitamin B complex doses, which he took well, but when I offered him a little bit of slurry off of a baby spoon, he ignored it. I brought him to our usual spot on the couch to go through our little hand-feeding routine, and he just fought me the whole time. He kept spitting things out, like he wasn't interested in what I was offering, and by the time we were done, my fingers were slathered with the masticated slime of dubia guts. :bleick: For the wax worms, he kept simply holding them in his mouth, without chewing. I just stuck with it though, and managed to get four medium dubia nymphs, twenty waxworms, and a nicely-sized piece of collard greens.

After all that, I placed him under his basking lights, where he's been for hours, looking sad. :( I've got to leave in about 30 minutes to head to work, for one of my little 30-hour red-eye trips, so I hope he'll be okay while I'm gone. I've got Wednesday off before having to leave again, so I'll try to pay extra attention to him and give him extra love, and see how he does. I believe that it's supposed to be in the mid-70s here that day, so maybe I'll take him outside with a heat pad, to see if that perks him up (he's always loved being outside).

Menolly07

Juvie Member
You may be right on, that he's sad. He's been really sick. He's been so busy being physically ill that he must be mentally worn too. A lot of love and a chance to recharge mentally now that he's on the mend will set him to rights!!

nordica

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, I woke up this morning, and Leo had already had his morning poo. It was smaller than normal, but nicely-formed. Unfortunately, he had dragged just about his whole body through it, so he was given a THOROUGH scrubbing in a bath. As I was running the water, I heard him cough once though, and when I quickly looked over, I saw him swallow something back down. When he had opened his mouth up, I also saw a higher-than-normal level of the thick saliva that he's had. Thank goodness that I have his next Vet appointment this Saturday. Anyway, when I drew him a fresh bath to soak in, he drank a tiny bit on his own, before flopping out for close to 45 minutes. When I brought him to our customary spot on the couch, he eased some of my worries by eating nine small/medium dubia nymphs, twenty waxworms, and a good-sized piece of collard greens. He hardly fought me on any of it either. :mrgreen:

As of now, he's flopped out under his lights, looking nice and plump.

nordica

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So no more coughing so far. :D Leo and I went through our normal morning routine (poo/bath/hand-feeding). He was a bit of a brat when it came time for his meal, but I managed to get six small/medium dubia nymphs, twenty waxworms, four small hornworms, and a bit of collard greens into him. The weather is GORGEOUS outside right now, sunny and in the low 70s, so I brought Leo out into the backyard with his heat pad (we have electrical outlets outside), for some good ol' fashioned sunshine. He just kinda laid there for about 20 minutes, not moving much, but being really alert and looking everywhere. While he was outside, his beard progressively turned darker and darker, which actually made me happy to see, as this is what he had ALWAYS done when he was out in the sun. Seriously, even when he was just happily sauntering around, his beard would turn dark; I think it's his way of "walking the walk". :mrgreen:

He's now back in his tank, basking under his lights, and shifting around every few minutes.

I received my tax refund, and so have started to make some purchases toward everyone's upcoming custom enclosures. I can not be more happy that we in the US have the lightyourreptiles.com website!! I just ordered three of these (to house both a UVB tube as well as a full-spectrum tube, for added lumens):

http://lightyourreptiles.com/36dehiout5do.html

and three of these (I plan on attaching them to an upper corner on the inside of everyone's enclosure, as it gets REALLY hot here in the Summer, and I'd like a way to maintain the correct temps during those times):

http://lightyourreptiles.com/4heutfansigr.html

The site is currently out-of-stock with regard to the UVB tube light I'll be using (http://lightyourreptiles.com/ard3t534in39.html), but they'll have more in two weeks, so I'm not worried. I mean, if anything, I haven't even begun the build, so I have time. :wink: It's most likely going to take me a couple months to get everything done, but I already can't wait until they're finished; I'm looking forward to having everyone in one place, stacked all nice and neat, where all THREE of them will be able to see all the action. :mrgreen:

I leave tonight for one of my 30-hour red-eye trips, and then have Leo's next Vet appointment on Saturday.

kaykay87

i would just like to say i have been following ur post for the past month and today i finally became a member, i bow down to u for the amount of love, effection and pure loyalty u have for ur beloved beardie, u r an inspiration to us all following ur post, i really hope leo becomes 100% better asap, i myself have been havin trouble for the past 6 months with my beardie zuko not eating, check out my post "please help i think we are going to lose him :(" i will continue to follow leo's progress and i have u both in my thoughts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom