This Idea just wont leave Me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbattisti

Juvie Member
Tom,

I thought I'd throw my two cents in here. I don't want to be a "debbie downer," but the first thing that springs to mind is that this is a very challenging business proposition. If you look at the pet industry as it stands right now, it appears to be following the model of many stores - mom and pop and speciality stores are disappearing, replaced by the megastores of the day. I'm assuming you're talking about a physical store here, but any time you have a physical location, your customers are necessarily going to be pulled largely from the immediately area. ("Location is everything.") That said, you're not going to be able to afford space in a high-traffic area, and that sort of store isn't going to attract much "walk-in traffic" anyway, I'd suspect.

Effectively, your store would be extremely attractive to herp experts. But I suspect it would be very difficult to get new herp owners, who are more likely to start at a PetSmart or a PetCo, and find everything they THINK they need before they learn more about their animals. And let's be frank, many many reptile owners buy pets without really understanding what's involved. Why would a kid who wants a beardie pay $75 to buy one from you, when he can get one from PetSmart for $35? WE know the answer, but I suspect that many of them won't, and you certainly can't out-advertise the megastores.

With a physical storefront, you'd also have high fixed costs, and in order to have any kind of inventory, you'd have very high variable costs in terms of food, veterinary care, etc. So, you're looking at very high costs, combined with a market that is essentially "all experienced reptiles in a 50-mile radius." My gut tells me that isn't going to be enough business to keep it afloat.

The more I think about it, the more I think you really need to go with a virtual store. Your costs would be far lower, and your reach would be far wider. In addition to avoiding the cost of a store, you could focus on building a community around your web site (such as with forums like bd.org has). Along with that, it would be far more practical to, say, set up part of your house as a "presentation area." You could invite people to come and visit by appointment if they want to see your operation. (Kind of like you do now, only if you're making it a business, make changes to your house to make a more presentable "mini store-front." Not that your house isn't presentable, but you know what I mean; separate the "living space" from the "work space".

Anyway, like I said, I don't mean to be a downer, but lacking any serious knowledge about the industry, it seems like a very difficult sell at first glance. That's just my two cents on the matter!

:D

Steve

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
Funny you posted here today steve. With your talent for research I was going to ask your opinion on this whole thing....lol
I think you make a valid point. Nothing is set in stone at the moment and Im looking for the best way to move forward with this.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
TheWolfmanTom":37ac9 said:
Funny you posted here today steve. With your talent for research I was going to ask your opinion on this whole thing....lol
I think you make a valid point. Nothing is set in stone at the moment and Im looking for the best way to move forward with this.

Well, unless you are going to put your store in Louisville, I vote for online as well!

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Original Poster
even if I open an actual store front I am not taking down TND Dragons. As long as I am selling poopers the site stays regardless of what Im doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom