the tough love approach

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
It's frustrating isn't it! Have you tried carrot tops? When Abu was with us it was about the only thing she went nuts for- I had to mix them in with her other greens to get her to eat anything- the have a slightly sweeter smell than other greens.

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MissT":2uah6yzy said:
It's frustrating isn't it! Have you tried carrot tops? When Abu was with us it was about the only thing she went nuts for- I had to mix them in with her other greens to get her to eat anything- the have a slightly sweeter smell than other greens.

I swear i've aged 10 years in the past 10 months i've had her...very frustrating! ooh thanks, i'll try those (if i can find them- haven't seen any carrots around with the leaves still on in a long time, might have to find an allotment to sneak into lol). Thanks again MissT for all your help, hopefully the carrot tops are the way forward :D

MissT

BD.org Addict
Tesco often have bunched organic carrots with the tops still on- I can usually get them in one of the tesco stores in the area. If there is a fruit and veg Market anywhere local to you they can also get them- they usually cut the tops off before putting them on display. Or even if there is a fruit and eg shop near by ask them if they could get some with the bunches on from the wholesaler. I'm sorry I'm not more help- but believe me, I know what it's like when ur little one goes off their food. I'm having the opposite problem at the minute tho- kazi would like me to give him some 'real' food but all he is getting is critical care- thankfully he enjoys it but he still looks at me from time to time as if to say 'mummy where is my green stuff and my jumpy food?'

guzgal

i read somewhere that unless it's moving, the dragons don't really "see" their food. so i also added reptiworms to the salad mix, live & wiggly, not mushed up, and cheeto will chow thru the salad looking for the worms. i also made sure to change to a clear glass food dish so he could see the worms wiggling down at the bottom. added bonus is that the worms like the salad/fruit too. later in the day, when all the worms are gone, i will hand feed cheeto whatever veg is left by showing him his food bowl and turning it slowly so the veg tumbles a bit in the bowl. he tidies up pretty well & we all feel better knowing he's eating the right way :)

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MissT":tikno7om said:
Tesco often have bunched organic carrots with the tops still on- I can usually get them in one of the tesco stores in the area. If there is a fruit and veg Market anywhere local to you they can also get them- they usually cut the tops off before putting them on display. Or even if there is a fruit and eg shop near by ask them if they could get some with the bunches on from the wholesaler. I'm sorry I'm not more help- but believe me, I know what it's like when ur little one goes off their food. I'm having the opposite problem at the minute tho- kazi would like me to give him some 'real' food but all he is getting is critical care- thankfully he enjoys it but he still looks at me from time to time as if to say 'mummy where is my green stuff and my jumpy food?'

Thanks, you've been a great help. i'll try tesco's on my way home from work tomorrow. I put 2 bowls of salad in today with the mango baby food on one- that one looked a bit emptier / messed up than this morning but I can't be sure if she ate it. Also she had a little poo today (sorry for this info lol) so i'm thinking she may be eating something for her to poo otherwise she'd have nothing to get out??!! Ah bless kazi- they're so cute aren't they- if only they didn't give us so much worry

guzgal":tikno7om said:
i read somewhere that unless it's moving, the dragons don't really "see" their food. so i also added reptiworms to the salad mix, live & wiggly, not mushed up, and cheeto will chow thru the salad looking for the worms. i also made sure to change to a clear glass food dish so he could see the worms wiggling down at the bottom. added bonus is that the worms like the salad/fruit too. later in the day, when all the worms are gone, i will hand feed cheeto whatever veg is left by showing him his food bowl and turning it slowly so the veg tumbles a bit in the bowl. he tidies up pretty well & we all feel better knowing he's eating the right way :)

Thanks, the clear glass bowl is a good idea- i'm starting to wonder if the bowl i'm using (which looks like a rock) could be part of the reason she wont eat salad e.g. she doesn't know its food. I have tried worms in a small glass bowl with salad on top which didn't work but a bigger bowl might. Thanks

wckdbtch

Hatchling Member
Try putting a whole leaf of greens in her viv. I usually shred the veggies and leaves for mine, without much success. I read about another member on here who were surprised that her beardie immediately went for a whole leaf and tried it - it worked! :blob5:

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
wckdbtch":163hd4a0 said:
Try putting a whole leaf of greens in her viv. I usually shred the veggies and leaves for mine, without much success. I read about another member on here who were surprised that her beardie immediately went for a whole leaf and tried it - it worked! :blob5:

Thank you :D . I have tried chopping it into different sizes, honestly she is sooooooooo stubborn. I will try the whole leaf thing though, fingers crossed something has to work :roll:

Fortunate

Hatchling Member
My guy is a really fussy eater! would only eat baby food! :banghead:

It took ages, 3 weeks if im not mistaken, of starving before he ate... he was sick before that and wasnt eating so more starve time.
Then one day he just ate.... he only eats his greens if i hand feed tho, i dont mind coz i was so worried about him, try not to do this tho, its a pain in the butt! lol

Dyl loves mulberry leaves - will eat an entire tree if i let him. If you have access to a mulberry tree give it a try.
Also strwberries are a must have in his salad. :)

Hope your baby starts eating soon i know who frustrating and stressful it can be!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Fortunate":2wahe5nc said:
My guy is a really fussy eater! would only eat baby food! :banghead:

It took ages, 3 weeks if im not mistaken, of starving before he ate... he was sick before that and wasnt eating so more starve time.
Then one day he just ate.... he only eats his greens if i hand feed tho, i dont mind coz i was so worried about him, try not to do this tho, its a pain in the butt! lol

Dyl loves mulberry leaves - will eat an entire tree if i let him. If you have access to a mulberry tree give it a try.
Also strwberries are a must have in his salad. :)

Hope your baby starts eating soon i know who frustrating and stressful it can be!

Thanks for that, gives me a bit of hope, god knows i need it lol. Everytime i try hand feed her some she closes her eyes and shuffles away. Thanks for the tips too :D

Sherri

Sub-Adult Member
catUK":37bgjb56 said:
wckdbtch":37bgjb56 said:

Thank you :D . I have tried chopping it into different sizes, honestly she is sooooooooo stubborn. I will try the whole leaf thing though, fingers crossed something has to work :roll:

LOL, that is too funny! Just this morning I *arranged* a neat looking *bush* in Razz's viv...all bunched up with a mix of greens including parsley and cilantro cuz they look so *bushy* along with collard greens. I had our son take Razz outside for a bit and I put them sticking up behind his rock...looking like a tree. Had son bring him in, hoping he would see this *new* thing and go to town on it.

*SIGH*. Barely a glance LOL Oh well, we try, yes?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Ok,now my Huff is on hunger strike... He hasn't ate anything since last weeks vet visit! Argh!!!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Sherri":1rfrysxj said:
LOL, that is too funny! Just this morning I *arranged* a neat looking *bush* in Razz's viv...all bunched up with a mix of greens including parsley and cilantro cuz they look so *bushy* along with collard greens. I had our son take Razz outside for a bit and I put them sticking up behind his rock...looking like a tree. Had son bring him in, hoping he would see this *new* thing and go to town on it.

*SIGH*. Barely a glance LOL Oh well, we try, yes?

lol, the things we do...i tried the whole leaf thing, spent ages wagging it in her face, nothing. Then i tied it to the thermometer probe and let it swing, nothing. Then i threw it in the air hoping for a reaction, nothing. The closest she's came to her salad tonight is running through it and covering herself in bright orange mango baby food as she tried to get away from the leaf!!! arghhhhh :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

MissT":1rfrysxj said:
Ok,now my Huff is on hunger strike... He hasn't ate anything since last weeks vet visit! Argh!!!

Aw hope huff is ok- did he get meds at the vet?

MissT

BD.org Addict
Nope. He has just been hiding and refusing to eat since then. I hate when he doesn't eat- he doesn't have a lot of weight on him to keep him going... Poor boy!

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
MissT":1gam8v6q said:
Nope. He has just been hiding and refusing to eat since then. I hate when he doesn't eat- he doesn't have a lot of weight on him to keep him going... Poor boy!

Mine used to be like that when she was younger- greedy one minute then fasting another. There's supplements you can try to help appetite. When my beardie was recovering from an illness i was advised by vet soy yoghurt along with reptoboost baths- this helped her appetite pick up (although not for salad!)

MissT

BD.org Addict
O he's eating his locusts but he's literally running away from his salad. I can't even do long periods of tough love with him- he doesn't have any excess weight to fall back on!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thuexedulichthailan
Top Bottom