The Life and Times of Helen Hawking, dbnr

Status
Not open for further replies.
I first noticed Helen Hawking in a classifieds ad, looking for a fellow companion in a lonely world. Her piece sang to me and one picture in particular caught my eye.

IMG_7167_zps2d10d182.jpg

I felt that I had found a kindred spirit, someone with the same zest and zeal for life that I possessed. We spoke at first through an intermediary before finally deciding to meet. She came to me in a rather unorthodox fashion- boxed up and restrained.

DSCF2255_zpsc4f086f9.jpg

But we quickly found common ground and chatted a bit over a light meal.

DSCF2257_zpsd489a8e2.jpg

Something I said must have disturbed her however, because she cut our talk short and scuttled over to a corner, seeking solitude in an unfamiliar environment and leaving me to clean up what was left of her lunch.

DSCF2260_zpse37eaf2c.jpg

Tonja

BD.org Addict
So glad she recovered from her little ordeal. That last picture of her peering from behind the rock is priceless. Both are beautiful lizards. Throat rubs for HH.

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Just caught up on your thread and HH is adorable! I just wanna snuggle her. I can't believe how fast she is. It doesn't matter how healthy are, what matters is your will to fight and live and I must say, she is a fighter. In the laser pointer vid I noticed her giving you a stink eye every now and then as if she knew you were the reason she couldn't catch the light. Kudos to you and cheers to HH and Darwin!

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Just read through your thread for the first time! I hope Helen is doing well, she is such a darling! I loved the video of her chasing the laser pointer. :lol:

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi guys and gals. I just wanted to drop in on the forum and say that, sadly, HH has passed away late last night or early this morning. She was looking pretty down when I turned off her lights last night but I was still very shocked to find her unresponsive this morning.

She had been feeling pretty ill for about a month now and the vet through it might be the bacteria in her body taking over while she was trying to brumate. She wasn't responding to the medication very well and had stopped eating.

I wanted to thank everyone here for their support and love throughout her short time with us. She was an inspiration to me and her bright spirit lights up my life. She was a fighter down to her last days. I wanted to especially thank Tom for giving this little girl a chance at life.

I hope everyone's beardies are doing well.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
This breaks my heart. I am going to miss the little dickens. I loved her probably as much as you did even though you had her physically. She was a fighter from the start with her challenges. I lost my Geico on the 28th of Dec..my big beautiful boy at just under 2 years old so I know how you feel. Helen will always have a special place in my heart and you know why. I would like to think shes up there with Geico running around and playing while watching over her loving caretaker all these months. God bless hun and thank you for the care you gave her under her disadvantages that she never saw but as advantages. She sure wormed her way into a lot of hearts.

randommonks

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks Tonja and I'm sorry to hear about Geico (he had a great name :) ). It makes me smile to know that HH has touched a lot of lives. I'm going to find the warmest, sunniest spot in the garden and bury her there.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
that's what I did with Geico. Buried him in my garden with his favorite stuffed gorilla and his favorite blanket. In the spring will plant a rose bush over him to keep me reminded of him and his disposition and spirit. Helen would like that I think.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
She was so feisty and I loved watching her pictures and hearing about her. So sorry for your loss, puts a bit hold in your heart. I'm so glad you took her in and gave her a great life and so much love in the time you had her.

I lost my Titan on Dec 19, to Yellow Fungus, he was only 1 1/2 yrs old but had challenges with a burned head and left side of his face. I didn't have him long, got him from the pet shop where he'd been abandoned last March, but he was a special boy and sure had a good time while I had him. Fit in so well with the others, but had to be quarantined in my bedroom when he got sick. RIP Helen, Geico and Titan.

You take care
Deb

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Im really heart broken that She didnt make it longer. I have wondered if I made a mistake when she hatched the way she did by not putting Her down.

After re reading this thread Im very happy I gave Her the chance she had. She had spirit from day 1 and Im so glad she went to you.

I truly am sorry for Your loss.

Tonja

BD.org Addict
Tom this is not your fault at all. I know she was born with the egg sac twisted around her little body. I almost got her but I am so glad HH went to who she did. She was wonderful with HH and that little girl had the best life and best chance at life, without you having the heart to give her to someone that could dedicate the time and expenses for her she would have never thrived as she did. She crawled into my heart the moment I first saw her when you posted her to go to a home. I wanted her so badly it hurt and now in retrospect, I am so glad Randommonks got her as I don't think I could have provided the care for her that she so very much deserved. Neither you nor randommonks should think that any of this could have been prevented. It happens and sometimes without warning like in my Geico. God bless you both for giving her a chance.

Goonie

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
(how did I miss this for an entire week??)

smiley5900.gif

You gave her a wonderful first year of life, allowed her to be as normal as possible because HH didn't believe she was disabled at all. I'm so glad that both you and HH were able to be together, to enjoy each other's company and love.

Tom - You didn't do the wrong thing by not putting her down. She had so much spunk and fight that it would've been wrong to not allow her to have a life. I still remember when I first saw her at your house -- so alert and active and just like any other beardie there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom