Thanks (delete post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Just so you know, even when a beardie "looks" happy and healthy doesn't mean they always are.

Starting with mealworms, those are treats and can never be used as staples. They have way too much chitin to be fed constantly in large quantities. Which because of how much chitin they have makes it hard for beardies to digest.

How old your dragon is factors into what diet it should have, young dragons need more insects no matter what and can't be fed just a diet of pellets because you don't have enough money for bugs. With older dragons feeding is easier, they mainly eat greens and usually only insects twice a week so it would be easier to afford.

This is a little feeding guide, it should give you some options and more variety.
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

Tgu

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":3f8n9v1d said:
Just so you know, even when a beardie "looks" happy and healthy doesn't mean they always are.

Starting with mealworms, those are treats and can never be used as staples. They have way too much chitin to be fed constantly in large quantities. Which because of how much chitin they have makes it hard for beardies to digest.

How old your dragon is factors into what diet it should have, young dragons need more insects no matter what and can't be fed just a diet of pellets because you don't have enough money for bugs. With older dragons feeding is easier, they mainly eat greens and usually only insects twice a week so it would be easier to afford.

This is a little feeding guide, it should give you some options and more variety.
All life stages eat 10-20 bugs a feeding.
1-4 months 3x a day.
4-12 months 2x a day.
12-20 months once a day.
20+ months twice a week at the least, every other day at the most.

Staple feeders - Crickets, locusts, grasshoppers, silkworms, black soldier fly larvae, dubia roaches, turkish roaches, possibly earthworms.

Treat feeders - Waxworms, hornworms, superworms, mealworms, butterworms.
Wax worms - once a week, 4-5 max.
Hornworms - every other day to every two days, 4-6 max.
Mealworms - every other day to every two days, 5-10 max. Only for beardies above 6 months.
Superworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max. Only for beardies above 12 months.
Butterworms - once or twice a week, 3-4 max.

Daily greens- Turnip/collard/mustard greens, endive, and kale if added to a mixture of the other staple greens mentioned.
Fruit once or twice a week - Banana, strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, red raspberries.
For more food items -
http://www.thebeardeddragon.org/bearded-dragon-diet.php
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

You want two supplements at the very least, a calcium and a multivitamin.

Generally beardies below two years need calcium 5x a week and multivitamins 2x a week.

However beardies above two years or at two years of age need calcium only 2-4x a week with
multivitamins 1-2x a week.
This depends on how your adult beardie is with diet, health, just laid eggs, is laying eggs, etc.

Oh my god you are person from heaven! Teto is 16 months old. I knew about the greens thing when they reached over a year old and that was basically what I could base her diet off of. I always felt bad about how the diet was. This was a guide that I've been looking for but could never really find. Thank you so much! She is my first ever beardie so i need improvement and much more knowledge. (sorry but expect to see many questions on here from me :oops: )
Thank you so much :)

This will come off rude but please do not get a pet when you don't have the time or funds to properly take care of it! But since you already bought it, do not feed your dragon anymore of the pellets, feed them to your crickets instead.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Brittany26":65kc5ye6 said:
This will come off rude but please do not get a pet when you don't have the time or funds to properly take care of it! But since you already bought it, do not feed your dragon anymore of the pellets, feed them to your crickets instead.

I agree .

>>> poor diet due to cost cutting .... could you live long only on potato crisps and KFC ?

>>> and yep pellets are fabulous cricket food.

I'm assuming the dragon is over 2 yrs old , this is a good a guide as you'll find anywhere : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=237167

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom