Tazzie- rescued and recovering

Status
Not open for further replies.

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone,
I rescued a five year old female on Thursday and she is recovering nicely. My reptile vet was surprised that she survived as long as she did :cry:

Here is a picture of Tazzie taken the day I picked her up. I have also placed pictures taken today. She is doing much better and I appreciate all of the suggestions offered on the ER area of this website.

Tazzie62009007.jpg

Tazzie62009012.jpg

Tazzie62009017.jpg

Tazzieday262009004.jpg

Tazzieday262009018.jpg

Tazzieday262009030.jpg

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Oh my goodness that poor little soul.
My heart just jumped into my mouth when I saw her.
Could you link me to the ER thread? Id just love to know more about her.

EDIT: nevermind I couldnt wait hehe! I hunted down the link myself.

Holly

TazzysMamma

Sub-Adult Member
Oh my goodness! That poor little angel!!!! I just wanted to cry when I saw those pictures!!! What an awful injury she has! How terribly thin!!! Poor baby!!!!

You are SUCH a HERO for taking her in!!!!

TONS of love and hugs to BOTH of you!!!!!

Sandi

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi Sandi,
Oh goodness, I am far from a hero but thanks for the nice words. My Dad is a disabled Marine from WW11 and I would say that he ranks in the "hero" category (my opinion, of course...) :)

Tazzie is much better today and I can see improvement. The wound is starting to heal and it is not as "leaky" as when I find brought her home. I gave her an antibiotic injection today and felt badly because her little legs are so skinny. She is tiny and I would dare say that she is the size of an 8 month old beardie.

She is very alert and enjoys being cuddled and bathed. I can not believe what an adorable personality she has :)

Thanks so much for your kind words.
Kat

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
That was the criegslist beardie? Holy crap, that is criminal! They didn't mention anything about what horrible shape it was in, could the previous owners be that clueless? Kudos to you for taking that girl in. I'll be sending a PM soon.

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
No, Tazzie was given to me by a local woman. The family had Tazzie for five years but unfortunately, Taz was only fed a dozen crickets a week as well as some apples/veggies. She did not have the vitamins, calcium, proper UV etc. It resulted in Metabolic Bone Disease and also her very tiny size. She is very fragile but has the heart of a lion! LOL!

I posted some updated (day 5) pictures of her in the ER area of the website but I will post some here as well..
Tazzieday262009015-1.jpg

Tazzieday5019-1.jpg

Tazzieday5004-2.jpg

:) Kat

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
LizardKat":41371 said:
Hi Sandi,
Oh goodness, I am far from a hero but thanks for the nice words. My Dad is a disabled Marine from WW11 and I would say that he ranks in the "hero" category (my opinion, of course...) :)
I agree with you Kat. Your Dad is a hero. But then all of those that serve in the military are heros. They risk their lives with very little pay and, in some cases, almost no appreciation for what they do.

Tazzie is much better today and I can see improvement. The wound is starting to heal and it is not as "leaky" as when I find brought her home. I gave her an antibiotic injection today and felt badly because her little legs are so skinny. She is tiny and I would dare say that she is the size of an 8 month old beardie.

She is very alert and enjoys being cuddled and bathed. I can not believe what an adorable personality she has :)

Thanks so much for your kind words.
Kat

I'm glad Tazzie is doing better. I know she probably will not grow more but I hope she continues to improve. I think her improvement is because she is beginning to realize she's loved by you and she has a reason to improve. Every time my husband sees beardies that are in bad shape (he just mentioned this again after seeing the first pics of Tazzie) he gets upset that all those animal protection people don't seem to care about beardies being mistreated, they just care about dogs and cats. On the local news programs, all we hear about is mistreated (yes, that's still sad) dogs, cats, and various birds once in a while. However, I've never seen anyone mention any reptile that was mistreated. We've decided it's because dogs and cats are politically correct pets and beardies are "those wierd pets". One lady even said she should have a shovel to kill Redrock, as if she thought it was a poisonous snake that got loose or something. Bill was so surprized and shocked he didn't think of any appropriate comeback until after he'd left. And this was in a vet's office. When he told me that she said "Oh, it's your pet!" She had this fancy, probably very expensive, dog.

Lori

emilybortz

Hatchling Member
One lady even said she should have a shovel to kill Redrock, as if she thought it was a poisonous snake that got loose or something. Bill was so surprized and shocked he didn't think of any appropriate comeback until after he'd left. And this was in a vet's office. When he told me that she said "Oh, it's your pet!" She had this fancy, probably very expensive, dog.

Lori

Its just ignorance, is all. I've had dogs, cats, a bird, and bearded dragons, and I have become the most attached to bearded dragons by far. There is just nothing cuter to me :)

protiemama

Gray-bearded Member
OMG, I can't believe people can be so dumb. How can anyone not notice when an animal is skin and bones? I'll have to look her up in ER to see the story. :(
I am so happy she is a good home now. I look forward to seeing her improve. :D Love makes a world of difference.

Sandy H

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
:D Hi friends! I am still shocked by the mean comments that some people make :angry5: I find that quite a bit with my sweet and gentle rottweiler. Rotties have an interesting history and were originally bred to shepherd and protect sheep. Unfortunately, they are often associated with aggression, attacks etc. I also get weird looks when I bring my 3 and a half foot iguana into the vet. "Sophia" is such an affectionate iguana and will cuddle in my lap while we are waiting for the vet to see her for the appointment. I agree with Emily, some people and ignorant and close their minds to the wonderful creatures right in front of their very eyes. What a mean comment to make about your baby Redrock.

My husband is an attorney and I am "picking his brain" regarding possible legislation regarding the protection of exotics.
We currently have two rescued dogs and I agree, there appears to be more protection offered to the cats and dogs. I am thrilled with that but the exotics should be protected as well.. I am actually considering going to law school and working for the reptiles/exotics who often do not have a voice of their own. I love little Tazzie and feel that the pet store employees and her original owners should have been better versed in beardie care.

Thanks for offering Tazzie so much support. She is such a happy girl and actually did some head bobbing at the Rottweiler (Garnet-Rose the Rottweiler was peeking at her through the open bedroom door-10 feet away!!LOL!)

It is so nice to meet others who love unique pets!
Kat

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
I am so glad that she is improving. Hugs to you for taking the poor girl in and caring for her.
And how cute is it that she was head bobbing at the dog (and that is an awesome dog's name too)

LizardKat

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi there Jiffy! Gosh, I love looking at all of pictures of your pets! Remington's teeth make me smile every time I look at his picture. :lol:

Tazzie is making steady gains, I'll post some more pictures tomorrow. Do you have one or two beardies?
:) Kat

Jiffy

BD.org Addict
Glad she is still improving. I will be checking back for those pics! :mrgreen:

Actually I have 3 beardies, I need my signature updated. I tried to get my boyfriend to do it, but he says I now have too many animals! :wink: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom