T5 UVB - inside or outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeecaw

Beardie name(s)
Merlin
I’m currently debating moving my beardie’s UVB outside the enclosure, because I worry he may be getting too intense of exposure at the moment at the height he likes to climb. I’m using the 24” Zoomed hood and the Arcadia T5 12% bulb, beside a 150w bulb and 80w DHP. Currently, his preferred basking distance is 12 inches from the UVB, but sometimes he climbs closer, within 8 inches.

I don’t want to move his basking spot lower because 1. he loves to climb and 2. even with those lamps, getting to 105-110 degrees has been tricky. If anything, I’d love for him to be able to climb higher. I just worry about him getting the proper amount of UVB if I move it on top of the tank.

Is it worth moving on top of the tank to get him more climbing space? It might also let me move the DHP to warm up the cool side of the tank a bit more.

E2A5C6E4-C4A4-48F0-9CED-7B2A511A35DE.jpeg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I’m currently debating moving my beardie’s UVB outside the enclosure, because I worry he may be getting too intense of exposure at the moment at the height he likes to climb. I’m using the 24” Zoomed hood and the Arcadia T5 12% bulb, beside a 150w bulb and 80w DHP. Currently, his preferred basking distance is 12 inches from the UVB, but sometimes he climbs closer, within 8 inches.

I don’t want to move his basking spot lower because 1. he loves to climb and 2. even with those lamps, getting to 105-110 degrees has been tricky. If anything, I’d love for him to be able to climb higher. I just worry about him getting the proper amount of UVB if I move it on top of the tank.

Is it worth moving on top of the tank to get him more climbing space? It might also let me move the DHP to warm up the cool side of the tank a bit more.

View attachment 68909
I would leave it in the tank - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - how long does he stay w/ him being 8 inches from it? The 12 inches is good distance for the UVB - here is a pic of my zen - there are two basking spots for him one has the hotter temps if he wants the middle of the tank is 90's -

Attachments

• IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    IMG_20210920_080952243.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 100

Yeecaw

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Merlin
I would leave it in the tank - the screen is going to block 30% of the rays - how long does he stay w/ him being 8 inches from it? The 12 inches is good distance for the UVB - here is a pic of my zen - there are two basking spots for him one has the hotter temps if he wants the middle of the tank is 90's -
He’s actually basking there right now, I’d say aroubd 2 hours of the day. I worry because that puts him at a UVI of 8+. I’m not sure of his ability to self-regulate UVB exposure. He has the option of different heights and definitely moves between them throughout the day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He’s actually basking there right now, I’d say aroubd 2 hours of the day. I worry because that puts him at a UVI of 8+. I’m not sure of his ability to self-regulate UVB exposure. He has the option of different heights and definitely moves between them throughout the day.
Yes he will move if the rays are too strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bre2236
Top Bottom