swollen foot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of that foot?
Is there possibly any retained shed on the foot that could be causing the swelling?
What is your supplementation schedule like & which supplements do you use?
Are you using a UVB light & if so, what type & brand are you using? A fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light?

It could be a retained shed, or an upcoming shed, or possible infection from a bite or injury, or maybe gout.

Tracie

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613 said:
Hello,

Do you have any pictures of that foot? My computer is being stupid and it wont load pictures.
Is there possibly any retained shed on the foot that could be causing the swelling? No
What is your supplementation schedule like & which supplements do you use? Calcum 5 days a week
Are you using a UVB light & if so, what type & brand are you using? A fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? She has a exo terra 160w solar glo

It could be a retained shed, or an upcoming shed, or possible infection from a bite or injury, or maybe gout.

Tracie[/quot her foot is size of a large kiddny bean

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is rather large. Are there any other toes, etc that are looking swollen so far that you have noticed?
How old is she?
The Solar Glo has a beautiful spectrum for basking, but it does not have a good UVB output though. I highly recommend that you replace that light with either a Reptisun 10 or an Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb, either one.
You can get the Reptisun 10 at petmountain.com & you can get the Arcadia D3 12% at lightyourreptiles.com
The light should be a tube bulb not a compact/coil light.

How is her appetite?

Tracie

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
we dont know how old she is we guessed she about 2 years old. her previous owner didnt care for her very well. she eat pretty well.
here a pic of her foot
mamafoot.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is awfully swollen.
Were you able to get another UVB light ordered now, either the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12%?
It could be pseudo gout or the start of full blown gout. Does it appear she has retained shed at all?
What foods does she eat right now?
Could it be an infection from a cricket bite?
I would try to get her to the vet to get a blood test to test for gout as soon as you can.

Tracie

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
im making a vet appointment for monday or tuesday. which light is better the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3 12% ? Could you explain what gout is?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

As far as which light is better, they are just about the same. After a few preliminary tests, they are only a few uW/cm2 (UVB strength) apart. The Arcadia D3 12% have been recently added to the US market from Europe. The Reptisun 10 has been here in the US for awhile.
I would purchase either one. You can buy either light from:

www.lightyourreptiles.com

As far as gout goes, it can be due to a genetic problem with the kidneys, or caused from chronic dehydration, poor nutrition or malabsorption of vitamins, etc & little to no UVB exposure. Some dragons may tend to be more prone to it than others.
Once they are diagnosed with gout, they will need medication to help kidney function.

If you have more questions, just let me know.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Let us know how the vet visit goes. Are you getting a blood test done on her?
I personally tested the new Arcadia D3 12% tube bulb & it actually is 30 or so uW/cm2 stronger than the Reptisun 10. Are you going to be getting a new UVB light?
I hope she is doing better today.

Tracie

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey the vet says she has an infection in her foot she thinks she got a sliver that them got infection. She gave me baytril im suppose to give her .5cc daily till the meds gone she goes back to the vet in 2weeks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What caused the infection, a sliver or cut in her foot? I hope that she gets better.
I still recommend changing out your UVB light though for better exposure.
Keep us posted on her. Try to give extra oral fluids while she is on the Baytril. Do you plan on giving a probiotic while she is on the medication?

Tracie

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":10dsammj said:
Hello,

What caused the infection, a sliver or cut in her foot? I hope that she gets better.
I still recommend changing out your UVB light though for better exposure.
Keep us posted on her. Try to give extra oral fluids while she is on the Baytril. Do you plan on giving a probiotic while she is on the medication?

Tracie
it was a sliver from her log im gonna sand her log tonight.
i gonna order the light this weekend hopefully.
whats a probbiotic and should i give her it?

dragongirl95

Juvie Member
Original Poster
she being really diffucalt about taking her med. any idea about how to get her to eat it with ou her throwing a hissy fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kpurlett
Top Bottom