Swollen and grey spot on my beardie's foot PLS help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have soaked her in warm water mixed with sea salt for a week and it's not better
PLEASE help me guys someone told me it is rotten and have to cut the foot
Here is some pictures:

THANKS A LOT

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yes, you need to get her to a Certified Herp/Reptile vet immediately, not a general vet or an exotics vet, but a reptile vet with Beardie experience. It does very much look like it's "necrotic" tissue, which means he has an infection that has caused the tissue to die. It will only continue to spread and go worrying about having his foot amputated, yes, you probably will have to have that done, but it might be the only thing that saves his life at this point. It's been over a week, and unfortunately if you don't get him to a Certified Herp Vet to get antibiotic injections along with oral antibiotics and possibly an amputation, the infection will quickly spread to his bloodstream, making him "septic", and once that happens he will surely die. So time is of the essence at this point for him, because if you let it go much longer you won't be able to save him.

Sorry for being so direct but I'm not going to pull punches with you, sea salt isn't going to help you, nor is anything else that you can buy without a vet. He needs prescription antibiotic injections, and like I said, probably that foot amputated. But he can live a quality life without a foot, I'm just afraid you've waited too long. Reptiles hide illness and pain as long as they can instinctively so if he suddenly becomes lethargic and stops eating that most likely means it's too late. Get him to a vet right now!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, is your beardie walking on it ? That's very important to answer. It may just be a minor injury that doesn't shed....it's common for any area on their body to retain shed a bit longer when there's even a slight injury and so it looks like it's unhealthy. I don't think it's necrotic/dying, maybe just a bit sore. Please don't act rashly when this may be just a minor injury with a slight scar. I don't think it will need to be amputated at all. Even if there's an infection I think it will heal just fine.

Also, is she in a tank with another dragon ? If so put the other dragon in another tank. And whoever told you to use sea salt meant well but as you can see it didn't really help. It may have killed some bacteria though.

nguyentran159

Original Poster
AHBD":142mxv8i said:
Hi there, is your beardie walking on it ? That's very important to answer. It may just be a minor injury that doesn't shed....it's common for any area on their body to retain shed a bit longer when there's even a slight injury and so it looks like it's unhealthy. I don't think it's necrotic/dying, maybe just a bit sore. Please don't act rashly when this may be just a minor injury with a slight scar. I don't think it will need to be amputated at all. Even if there's an infection I think it will heal just fine.

Also, is she in a tank with another dragon ? If so put the other dragon in another tank. And whoever told you to use sea salt meant well but as you can see it didn't really help. It may have killed some bacteria though.

She is very active, eating well and healthy like another dragon.
She is alone in a 40 gallon tank
Wait for your reply soon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she's acting fine + using the foot, then it is just a minor injury and taking extra time to shed. I raised a lot of babies and at times one would nip another one's foot and would leave a similar mark. They can look just like that and not be a problem at all. If you're concerned about a slight infection you can use a bit of Neosporin, but I don't think it's necessary.

Do you know when you first saw the mark there ? Any idea how it happened ? Just look through the tank [ post pics of the tank here, too ] to see there's nothing sharp that might have done this.

Bt again, it does not look serious at all.

nguyentran159

Original Poster
AHBD":3dvt7ezt said:
If she's acting fine + using the foot, then it is just a minor injury and taking extra time to shed. I raised a lot of babies and at times one would nip another one's foot and would leave a similar mark. They can look just like that and not be a problem at all. If you're concerned about a slight infection you can use a bit of Neosporin, but I don't think it's necessary.

Do you know when you first saw the mark there ? Any idea how it happened ? Just look through the tank [ post pics of the tank here, too ] to see there's nothing sharp that might have done this.

Bt again, it does not look serious at all.

She use all her legs and foot normally. I have seen this mark for a week. I also tried the betadine soak
Do u have facebook that i can contact you ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No , I've never been a Facebook user. If you keep posting here we can see how your beardie's foot comes along. It looks like it will probably be fine though. :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
She is an extremely beautiful and adorable little dragon, I love her coloring!
I know this is unrelated to the topic, but where did you acquire her? I do hope she is fine and able to recover with no issues.

I'll leave the professional advice on the concern to those more experienced though it does appear to be a minor injury that resulted in discolored scales.

I had a baby dragon that got a scratch on his head that left a black line, and it took several sheds to finally make the line disappear. There's still a slightly visible "scar" in the location now months later, but now it's just a bit lighter than the scales around it.

You can see the line in this photo on top of his head
89300-6009156587.jpg
And you can see it healed up and shed off now
89300-3439106420.jpg

Nothing was used to treat this injury other than washing his head as soon as I noticed it, and I just monitored it to make sure no infection started.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom