Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi,
I do love the eye bulging, it reminds me that I'm doing everything right and he is comfortable, it made me panic in the early days, lol. It is actually the powder type bee pollen I have ordered so I'm just waiting on that now.
He had the other baby food yesterday, I don't think he likes it as much as the squash one, fussy guy! How often should I be giving the Critical Care mix at those measurements? I mean 1ml how often?

He is still well. And I have pics... ?

91928-323408335.jpg
91928-3836691566.jpg
91928-6304899254.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You can give him that mix every day, as much as he'll eat, and a bowl of the recipe stays good in the fridge for 3 days. My Imp, when he was sick, ate it daily for a month, he was only 5 mo old and he ate 4-5 mls a day, if not more. He grew alot with that & when he started eating bugs after the month, he ate lots. It has worked for countless dragons, having both cares gives him the vit/min and protein he needs. Mine will only have it with butternut squash, so don't worry if that's the only veggie baby food he'll eat with it. Add calcium on days he gets calcium and vit/min on days he gets that, too.

Thanks for the pictures, you'd never know he had something wrong!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He looks great ! Either it was a harmless swelling that goes away on it's own or the meds. did the trick. Very good to see this. :)

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The swelling still looks the same, it's just no bigger. I have high hopes for my baby, it's not getting him down at all.

I feel the vet was possibly wrong and it will go away on it's own. Must be all your well wishes hey. ☺

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Rocky is looking good! Did he eye bulge today for you? :D LOL
That's great he is doing so much better. Hopefully the swelling will completely go down for
him. Either way, I think he is improving! It is highly possible that it will just go away in time.
His colors look bright, too.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys,
Rocky is still eye bulging and he is still well, I can't really tell if the swelling is smaller but it definitely isn't any bigger or any firmer. He has even started to manage a few very small locusts here and there. I'm also going to stock up on squash and a new steamer because he seems to really like it. The bee pollen arrived today so I'm giving that a go tomorrow. I'm about to give him a bath but thought I'd jump on here to give an update.

I had to rearrange his vet appointment but will be in there this week so I'll let you know how that goes.
Pics to follow..

Em ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He is looking good, his mouth area is going to shed! That's great he has eaten a few locusts,
too. It definitely isn't any larger so hopefully it will just eventually go away altogether.
It sounds like Rocky is feeling pretty good. I hope he likes the bee pollen also, most of them
tend to.
Let us know how the vet visit goes.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys,
Rocky is still doing great! Enjoying his baby foods and making sloppy messes! He's had a warm bath today, he tried swimming around which he hasn't done in a long while, but I always keep my hand close to ensure he is safe. After he'd laid in the towel a few minutes on my bed, he strolled over to me and got on my shoulder, deciding to rest his head on my cheek and he stayed that way while I talked him for a few minutes, it was very sweet!

He is at the vet tomorrow so I'll keep you updated!

Em

91928-5864743097.jpg
91928-4660522770.jpg

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Hi Em, thanks for the updates. Aww, I love when mine do that, too, so sweet :D

Yes please update after the vet, I'm hoping to hear that it's starting to reduce.

The pics are great, he looks so healthy :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Rocky does look great! :D It sounds like he had a nice bath, also. At least he is eating
& enjoying his baby food slurries also.
He must be feeling pretty good if he was swimming around a little bit too.
I hope everything goes well at the vets!

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I have my fingers crossed. I'm so pleased that he appears healthy, I like to hear that, it's nice to know I'm doing a good job. It also means he isn't too uncomfortable or in any pain so that's good!

I'll be leaving for his appointment soon so I'll post when we're back home. ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi guys,
I've just returned home with my baby. It's not great news but still not awful.

The vet agrees that it isn't as tight as it was, he drew fluid in the hopes it wasn't just all blood but it turned it to be just blood again. He says it is still good he is eating okay and acting normal, he said it may very well go away over time and that I should just make sure he eats small. He was 376g when I went before, he is now 378g so he isn't losing weight but if he does or he stops eating or acts lethargic then I should bring him back. He doesn't think it is any bigger at all.

Which brings me to an important question I must ask all you wonderful people.. If faced with either letting him go or surgery with a (and I quote) 90% success rate and 10% chance of losing him during the surgery to tie it off, which would you choose to do? Are these percentages accurate?

Is there still a good chance of it going away on it's own?
Em

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Em,

I do think that in time, it may just reabsorb. Remember Deb's dragon had it for over a year &
it just went away.
The surgery does not have a good success rate so I don't think I would opt for that right now
since he is doing so well right now! He seems happy, right? I say, since his weight is stable,
he's eating & active to just wait & see what his body will do on it's own.
As far as the accuracy, I can't confirm that. I do know though that operating on aneurisms is
very risky because of the blood loss.
Rocky is definitely hanging in there. Keep us posted on him & his progress.

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi,
I believe the same, it's been almost a month and there's no negative changes and he's not struggling to eat. What the vet says is if it becomes a lot bigger or it stops him being able to eat then it's an option to do the surgery. I think if I were faced with that or losing him, I have to try, right?

But right now he is okay so I will be taking his upper levels out of his tank just to make sure he can't fall and giving him lots of cuddles and TLC. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom