Sudden Swollen Neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's really shocking. How much blood did the vet draw out ? And Deb, how did your dragon behave while he had it ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It looked like a full syringe and then he gave the antibiotic and anti-inflammatory and told me to give him it again from Wednesday. He said if he drew anymore then Rocky would become unwell. I'm going to try and upload pics from before the blood draw and after.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Gabriel never did need to be syringe fed, but if you want to give him more nutrients, then do that. I use Oxbow Carnivore Care and Oxbow Critical Care (always have it on hand), mix it with butternut squash babyfood and bee pollen. Bee pollen is great for them. But a slurry of greens and bee pollen will help him, too. I could never do anything with Gabriel but keep watch on him as if it pops, he would have bled to death, instead, he absorbed it 2 years after being diagnosed and it's gone. So hopefully it heals on it's own. Did the vet say what type of surgery he'd be wanting to do? Is he 100% sure it's an aneurysm? Did he send the blood to the lab to be determined? My vet took liquid from the aneurysm (I was afraid, afterwords, that it would pop and sent it to the lab, that's how we knew it was an aneurysm. Just love your little on all the time and getting him something he won't fall from is great. You can't stop him from bobbing, it's spring in their mind and drives them nuts.

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
The blood he drew was from the swelling, it was red but it was a strange shade of red. He opened Rocky's mouth and pushed the swelling upward and I could see it, a big red ball and that's when he said he wanted to drew some liquid to see what it was filled with.

The surgery, he said would be to find the vein and "tie it off" but mentioned there was the risk of him not making it through. The antibiotic is for incase he has/gets an infection in it, he doesn't want it to become infected and to bring him back in two weeks to see how he is.

Is there a chance the vet was wrong?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's always a chance that the vet is wrong. Generally an aneurism that bursts causes a big problem immediately. But it could be a strange presentation of an aneurism I suppose. The fluid was probably blood mixed with water or a slight amount of pus. And if he's eating normally don't bother syringe feeding him but do keep his food items smaller, from insects to veggies. If he DID stop eating you could use the Critical Care supplement It's really a good sign that he's acting normally and the beard DOES look smaller. :) I'd just wait and see .

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I only mentioned critical care because he will only go near his greens if I don't give live food and even then it's never more than two bites. He has always been a fussy eater and the person who gave him to me had trouble starting him with the greens as a baby. I just want him to have the best possible chance so if I can get more than the two bites in him, I'm sure it will contribute toward good health.

He is still happily chasing after his calci worms, drinking water from the syringe, looking generally happy in himself, no hiding, no dark beard. Infact I think in the 2 years I've been his momma, he's black bearded/puffed up at me once and that's only because I frightened him with a curtain, accidentally. ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He's incredible, we have a very special bond. Almost every time I go to see him he gets excited, head bobs and then the licky monster charges at me, attacking my nose with his sticky tongue ?
Then he'll run up my arm and we'll chill out together, I've never had a problem with him, I don't recall him really ever being upset or stressed apart from the time he kept hiding but he got over that. He even comes when I call him, when he feels like exploring my closet, lol.

I believe happiness and smiling is a type of cure all on it's own. But having you guys and all your knowledge helps me that little bit more, I really appreciate it. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Pets can be very special and really add to our happiness, that's a fact. :) I hope with all my heart that this has a good outcome !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Rocky's neck does look slightly less swollen. Maybe the vet was wrong, but even if it is, there
is a good chance it will go down on its own. It sounds like he is doing well right now so keep
him eating & make sure he doesn't fall from anything.
You two have a great bond! Love will cure a lot, so if he is happy he has a great chance of a
full recovery. I really hope he gets past all of this.
Thanks for weighing in Deb! :D

Tracie

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
You are all amazing, thanks so much for your comfort and input.

I am due to start the meds again this afternoon but want to make sure I am measuring correctly. My syringe is the same as the one on the thread.
Both anti-inflammatory and antibiotic require 0.15ml by mouth, the vet took both substances into the stringe when he showed me on Monday, saying it's okay to administer both in the same dose. Is this correct?
Would one of you lovely people explain where 0.15 would be on my syringe? I don't want to get it wrong.

Thanks muchly ?

Rocky2710

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
91928-4031119947.jpg

Is this correct?

Do I draw anti-inflammatory to the 0.15 mark and then the the antibiotic to the 0.30 mark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NeenaD11
Top Bottom