Styrofoam in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seacow

Either way you're good! They're both just brand names for the same thing. B&Q do bales of styrofoam, 1" thick sheets in different sizes for about €12 (not sure what that is in sterling though :D )
Good luck with your project!
Sarah

Seacow

Hi rob,
Kev here, Sarahs (OH) they are the same product and both will melt with extreme heat (flame) and they will also melt when subject to solvents such as super glue, petrol and acetone.
If you are using it to build backgrounds or hides the layers of grout will provide insulation from the heat of a basking bulb and the PVA will protect it from any cleaning solvents or humidity.
Check out a previous post Denniss new viv to see the results that can be achieved with the grout/pva/styrofoam mix :)
The main thing to consider is the adhesive, if it can be painted over with household emulsion paint it should be ok to use with styrofoam :D
Hope this helps.
Regards Kev.

RobotRooster

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Seacow,

Can you help me with this then?

What will i need for making rocks etc?

Checklist:

Poly
PVA
GROUT

anything else?

Seacow

One more thing...liquid nails (No More Nails by Ronseal or similar) and then just a bit of paint, if you fancy. I have a link here somewhere....
Ok, It gives great video step-by-step for building fake rock etc
It's http://www.lizard-landscapes.com it's really good, and once you get the basics down you can build ANYTHING! Just let your imagination run (just don't do what we did and make a huge yoke that would leave the poor beardie mashed against his basking bulb!...Obviously that hide was NOT used!)

RobotRooster

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank you for helping me out, wish me luck ;)

and is cement colour thingy necessary? and in the video he is using modge podge is that similar to pva? :S

Seacow

You can get all different coloured grout (sand, grey, white) I just dry-sponged on a tiny little bit of acrylic paint to give it a more 'rocky' look.
But it's not really necessary...I was just bored :lol:
Good luck and make sure to post pics when you're all done!!
Sarah

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
Hi there,
Yup B&Q does it.
Id go for polystyrene though.
They do it in sheets at the back with the MDF sheets.
I bought some high-density orange polystyrene which is super strong and we use it to hold up slate platforms etc.

Holly

Ailsa

I think styrofoam is more compacted
My mam uses it in her arts and crafts
You can buy it from places like Dainty supplies
any arts and crafts place should stock it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom