sticking tounge out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starlake

My beardie does this all the time. I'm not an expert, but I'll tell you how I interpret it. It depends what else she's doing when she sticks out her tounge.

If she licks something: she's curious
If she is basking: she's opening her mouth to help release excess heat
If she's puffed up or even hissing: she's really stressed out, especially if she's eyeing someone while she does this

My guess is that it's that last one, since your beardie is in a new environment. Check the thread about enclosures to make sure that the habitat is suited to his or her needs. A few questions come to mind. Is it large enough? Is there a hot side and a cool side? Is the hot side within your beardie's needed temperature range? Also, is there a lot of movement or noise in your house? You may want to provide an older beardie a place to hide, though I don't recommend this for younger ones. I've heard that sometimes the juveniles will hide so much they don't eat.

Hope this helps!

My beardie just did this so I came to this site to see if anyone had posted anything already. And sure enough, I found this. It's about 9:45 and I'm about to turn of my beardie's light for the night and when I went to do it, he/she was opening it's mouth with its tongue out. I automatically assumed that it wanted the heat for a bit longer. But then I saw that it may be because it's releases heat then it made sense. So, thanks for posting this and good luck.

SuperMom30

Hatchling Member
It really does depend on what is going on while there doing this...like what was said if there basking it's temp control, do you hand feed? My female will do this everytime I open her tank lid because she wants a treat :lol: She also licks EVERYTHING just like a baby that puts everything in there mouth...I once read that if they lick another dragon it a Dominance thing...so when I picked her up and she licked me I LICKED HER BACK :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom