Something is wrong with Goldie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Bill took a couple of pics of Goldie yesterday that shows something wrong, mainly in her eyes. I will share them here, also as I posted them on my thread yesterday evening.
Here's the first one:
P1030191.jpg

And the second one:
P1030192.jpg

Here's one Bill took today of her on a thing I crocheted quite a while back and forgot about when I found it I gave it to her, and also on a stuffy we were given last Thursday. She seems to like soft stuffies.
P1030194.jpg

The next three I just took a few minutes ago. She looks bad when she's trying to This first one is of a portion of her back that seems to be loosing scales without a shed going on
P1030197.jpg

P1030198.jpg

P1030199.jpg

I hope these can give some of you ideas of what's going on. I know it's hard to tell, really, unless tests are done but I'm not sure we can do that right now.

Esther19

BD.org Addict
Gosh, I'm sorry that I'm clueless here. I'm sure your husbandry is fine. I'm going to grasp at straws until somebody smarter comes along. Have you changed light bulbs lately? I can't even begin to guess what could be causing the scale issue. I saw the title of your post and just thought, "Oh no, not Goldie." Wanted you to know that your post is being read, and that we care.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

I am sorry about Goldie.
When was the last time that she laid eggs, she has laid infertile eggs previously, right?
She looks very dehydrated right now. Try to get some extra oral fluids into her if you can. How much is she eating right now?
Maybe leave the tank around 80 overnight to help boost her immune system, too right now.
How are her stools looking?

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Rosie is the one who's laid infertile eggs. If Goldie has any she's never shown any proof of it.

I have been giving her some critical care that we got from the vet a year ago, which the way the vet told us to mix it is more water. I have been giving her somewhere between one and 3/4 ml and 2 ml of it daily, a couple of days I gave her two syringes at about 1 3/4ml in the am. I must do this before I go to work as Bill doesn't feel comfortable doing the syringe thing. Bill said she ate less yesterday then she did. It's like she either can't chew or doesn't want to chew and she doesn't eat a lot of greens, maybe 3 or 4 small pieces a day, where she used to eat close to 8 or 9 a day. She only eats a couple of supers when we can get her to. I have a night light for her that we use in the winter that we can plug in and put on her hide box. We put them both into a box to sleep so the light of the bulb won't bother her. We usually soak them both at the same time and we both try to get Goldie to drink and she has been drinking a little bit, just not much. She usually didn't drink at all unless she's seriously thirsty, I guess it's good she's drinking some but I wish she'd drink more.

Her stools are fine, I guess, this is from Bill who's with her more all day then I am. She seems more alert in the morning then she does in the evening, but then she usually wants to sleep by about 4pm, anyway.

Bill was thinking that maybe her kidneys aren't functioning the way they should. She is acting a bit like Miss O did a few months before she died with Kidney failure. I do know if that's it we have to get her to a vet, which isn't easy for us due to time constraints, money problems and distance issues.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Esther19":zz60xltl said:
Gosh, I'm sorry that I'm clueless here. I'm sure your husbandry is fine. I'm going to grasp at straws until somebody smarter comes along. Have you changed light bulbs lately? I can't even begin to guess what could be causing the scale issue. I saw the title of your post and just thought, "Oh no, not Goldie." Wanted you to know that your post is being read, and that we care.

I understand what you mean, I feel the same way about other beardie's illnesses. Thanks, we appreciate it.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This may not be of much help. but since you have her posed in a potted plant, do you know what type of plant that is, and whether it's possibly toxic ? And any other potted plants she climbs in ? Beardies can take a bite before you know it, so we must know for sure what types of plant we allow them to be around. About 15 years ago I had an iguana that ate some outdoor ivy, he died the next day. Hopefully this is not the case for Goldie, but just exploring all options . I truly hope it's nothing serious !

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I Was talking to Bill after work and before I got home. Goldie was more alert and active a lot of today! We have wells around our trees and when we water them they like to soak in the water, especially when it's hot Bill soaked her in one of them today and she drank a lot. She was eating a little more willingly today then she has been lately but not as willingly as she used to more than a year ago.

I was able to give her this morning first time 2 mls of the carnivore care after I gave her the serrappatase and the liquid calcium, then a few minutes later just before I left for work, I gave her another 1 mls of the carnivore care.

I believe God intervened as we had prayed for her at our weekly prayer meeting last night. I have been giving her the carnivore care for close to a week with seemingly no increase in her activity and health until today. I'm sure it helped but she didn't have as good of an improvement before until today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Lori,

I am happy to hear that Goldie is doing better.
I meant to ask how her urates look, does she have a good amount of them? That is one way to monitor the kidney function by the amount of urates.
Maybe try to increase her oral fluids for awhile just in case it could be a kidney issue. What type of greens do you feed her?
How many feeders do you feed her each week?
Ok, I was just checking on the eggs, it could be a possibility though, but some females don't lay for some reason.

Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Bill says Goldie's urates are a little bit less than normal. She had 4 supers, and kept them down earlier this week. Today she spit everything out. I was able to give her a total of 3mls of carnivore care before I left for work earlier than normal today, she didn't seem to want it. Yesterday in the am she was more willing to eat it. The stuff I fed her yesterday was made that morning, the stuff I fed her today was left over from what I made yesterday. She's eaten more carnivore care than anything else this week. I believe Carnivore care has more protein, since she's 4 years old now and her urates are a little bit less than normal, should we stop feeding her this? I started her on it sometime last week because she was eating very few supers, much less than she used to last year, and because she seemed like she didn't have much energy so I figured she needed more energy. She used to eat somewhere between 8 to 12 pieces of greens per day (the small size easy for her to chew) but within the last couple of weeks, I believe, she's not had an appetite at all, she lets me feed her the carnivore care, mostly anyway. The way her mouth worked this morning, I felt that she didn't really want it.

We usually give her collard greens, when they are good ones, normally they don't have good ones this time of year in our area, we also give her bok choy and once in a while Romain lettuce, it depends on what is fresh enough at that point. We don't have produce that lasts very long here. I'm waiting for it to get a bit cooler to start some greens from the seeds that we were given earlier. We have problems with rabbits, large black birds this made us decide to do mostly container gardening to keep it out of those pests.

I hope this makes sense, it's been a long day, I left the house about 10 till 7 this morning and didn't get back home (errands to run after work) till about 8am.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
I gave Goldie some Carnivore care about 30 minutes ago (about 2mls) and she responded badly. She acted like she wanted to throw it up. She has not been responding at all to anything since. I soaked her in some sort of warm water and that didn't help at all. She swam yesterday and the day before and was a lot more active. Today all she wanted to do was stay out of the heat/uvb area of her tank and when we took her outside she went to the shade, avoiding all sun areas. She refused greens and the carrot Bill gave her. She ate one green (small piece) and one carrot (again, small piece) and, I'm sure, she didn't eat the whole piece.

We are afraid she isn't going to make it. I have the day off today but money issues prevent me from taking her to the vet today and next Friday may be too late, of course, today may have been already too late based on the way she's acting.

We love her dearly, she's been such a blessing for the last, not quite 4 years. In a month we will have had her for 4 years. That's longer than we've had the other 4 we lost 4 + years ago. We can't help but worry about her and know we can do nothing for her.

She did poop this am and her urates were about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of her poop. Her poop looked soft, not hard at all, but then the most she's eaten is the carnivore care all week.

ShannyBeard

Extreme Poster
I'm sorry Goldie isn't doing better yet. :( I agree with your worry over the carnivore care having so much protein for her, especially if there is a possible kidney issue. Baby food is a much safer alternative for her, and if you have critical care that is even better. I would mix the critical care at a 1:1 ratio with squash baby food. When I make critical care I use the hottest water possible and let it sit for several minutes so it can soften.

In that last picture of just her head, there is black around her lips. Is that normal or a food residue or dirt? Is there anything odd going on inside of her mouth?

Esther19

BD.org Addict
I went to our vet yesterday. On their signboard, they advertised that accepted Care Credit. It is a plan where you can make payments. Something to think about. So sorry to hear that Goldie has taken a turn for the worse. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom