Size Constrained by Space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

koiboi

Hi I am curious if the size of the terrarium directly affects the growth rate of a bearded for example comparing a 20 gallon terrarium bearded with a 40 gallon terrarium bearded. Thanks!

EmJagsz

Juvie Member
That is a myth. The beardie will continue to grow provided he is being fed and taken care of adequately. He will just be miserable in a tank too small.

junebug82

Hatchling Member
EmJagsz":05112 said:
That is a myth. The beardie will continue to grow provided he is being fed and taken care of adequately. He will just be miserable in a tank too small.

Ditto :) and bump

Doesj

Hatchling Member
I disagree.

It might be just my luck, but my beardie is in a tank 1.4x0.5x0.6m (55"x20"x29").

I got him at 2 months old, 9.8" long and 43 grams
he's now 4 months old, 17.3" and 250+ grams

Compared to all other beardies on local forums, he is HUGE, but also has the biggest floor space per beardie. He is bigger than most 6 month old beardies already... and for the record, there is NO german giant blood in him. He's a Dachiu Red / Blood x Florida Orange

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
this is a myth. At first I was this was true until I proved my self otherwise. MJ was only 5 inches long when I got her at 6 weeks old.. I had her in a 10 gallon viv. I couldn't afford to get her a bigger viv as money was tight, so I kept my baby in a 10 gal up until she was 3 months old. At 3 months, she was 15 inches, and now at 4 months (just moved into a 40 gal :mrgreen: )... she's still continuing to grow 1.5 - 2 inches a week :blob8: :mrgreen:

Doesj

Hatchling Member
2 inches a week? you mean a month I suppose?

if she's been growing 2" a week the last month, that would mean she's 23" at 4 months!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Doesj":256f8 said:

if she's been growing 2" a week the last month, that would mean she's 23" at 4 months!

lol yeah a month lol. I guess all beardies are different. I have a friend whos beardies are in a 75 gallon and has not grown an inch in the last 3 months or so.. and it's only a 4 month old beardie :(
I also have a coworker who SWORE up and down that his beardie grew to be 30 inches because he kept him in a 100 gal tank.. lol

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Aznrainbowdime":20439 said:
Doesj":20439 said:

lol yeah a month lol. I guess all beardies are different. I have a friend whos beardies are in a 75 gallon and has not grown an inch in the last 3 months or so.. and it's only a 4 month old beardie :(
I also have a coworker who SWORE up and down that his beardie grew to be 30 inches because he kept him in a 100 gal tank.. lol

my tank is a 110gal :D and my beardie is already 17.3" at age 4 months, so I wouldn't be surprised if he hit the 23" mark :D

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
110 gal ? whew that's huge ! did you custom build your viv ? I want something bigger but The biggest one I've seen around my area is only a 50 gal... and I've checked EVERYWHERE !! Unless I build one myself or get a customade one online but that wil also cost an arm and a leg.. lol

Doesj

Hatchling Member
Aznrainbowdime":becaa said:
110 gal ? whew that's huge ! did you custom build your viv ? I want something bigger but The biggest one I've seen around my area is only a 50 gal... and I've checked EVERYWHERE !! Unless I build one myself or get a customade one online but that wil also cost an arm and a leg.. lol

I thinks it's length (55") and width (just under 19.5") are the bare minimum for such an active creature. He can run the length of the tank in under 2 seconds...

built it myself from the ground up: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=112749

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
a normal crossfire (48x24x24) is 120gal. I have a slightly thinner one (48x18x24) due to the space issue in our house, and thats still 90gal. They are really easy to make yourself (im already planning another one!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom