Sick Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the dimensions. It figures out to be a 20 gallon tank which probably looks small for him but will be ok until he starts getting around. You may not need a 75 watt bulb for that size, may be able to use a 60 watt standard household lightbulb for enough heat, hard to say since he isn't climbing up to the lights on a log at this point. Would be good if you can get a temp gun or digital probe thermometer to get accurate readings.

If you have the receipt for the compact UVB, it would be a good idea to exchange it for the fluorescent tube because the compacts only put out UVB exposure in a very small area so not a strong enough bulb to help him out and some beardies develop eye issues when under them.

You are trying very hard, great job. I know we have given you a lot of information to try to grasp right now, hope we didn't overwhelm you.

Hopefully he will take in more water tomorrow and start to perk up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd say the 13w really isn't powerful enough for that distance. Since it's new, keep it on so he has something but I'd plan on replacing it with either the T5 I linked to earlier (which may be too powerful for the relatively small tank), or a T8 ReptiSun 10.0 that was also linked (probably more appropriate for now). The T8 18'' tube is likely available in a local store and is good at shorter distances with optimal output at around 6-8'' or so. Combine it with a Zilla Slimline 18'' T8 fixture with built in reflector and you can mount it inside the tank about 6'' above where he sits. It has two holes in the side that will allow you to hang it from small (1lb rated) command hooks so the light faces downward. Be sure to remove the clear plastic from in front of the bulb as that will intercept all of the UVB from the bulb.

18'' version of this https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Fluorescent-24-Inch/dp/B0009YHSWK And this fixture https://www.amazon.com/Reptile-Slimline-Lighting-Fixture-18-Inches/dp/B00780X1O2/ The bulb that comes with the fixture isn't powerful enough so I'd just pull it out and swap with the ReptiSun which is a very nice bulb.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I just wanted to commend you for your efforts. I really hope that he pulls through for you, it will be a slow recovery. It is definitely worth it though & the bond you will form through all of this will be amazing. :D
As suggested, do remove the sand & use solid substrates so that will cut down on bacteria & impaction risks. Hydration is the most important thing right now. Once he begins to become more hydrated, you can start monitoring his urate output next. I wouldn't introduce much protein into his system until you see a regular urate output on him.
I agree, for now, I would use the Reptisun 10 T8 tube bulb for that sized tank right now. Anything you do for him now will be a vast improvement for sure. Keeping him warm overnight as you are doing will help out his immune system.

Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That is good news that he drank more and has even perked up. Good job.

ssprague21

Original Poster

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that's the one. Just put that in a dome with ceramic socket base and maybe on an adjustable stand so you can adjust the height to provide 75-80 overnight. Those won't put out visible light and won't disrupt sleep. Be careful because they get very hot to the touch when they're on and there isn't a visual indicator.

ssprague21

Original Poster
We ordered all of the new supplies. He had some water a few times today and seems to be responding but he's still pretty lethargic. We had him out in the sun and he definitely seemed to perk up! We cleaned him up again today to make sure no more sand was impacted (we found sand impacted last night and removing that definitely helped!) We removed all the sand from the tank last night. He doesn't seem worse than yesterday but I've seen him perk up a couple of times, with his eyes wide open looking around, which I hadn't seen before.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sounds good ! :) How many cc's or ml's of water are you giving him ? And when you take him out, never take him in the glass tank but just let him set in the grass.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great that you have everything ordered now, that will help him out a lot.

Good signs that he drank again, he's responding, he did good outside and perked up a few times with opened eyes too!

Soon he will be ready for some diluted babyfood to help get some nourishment into him.

No more sand YAY. I figured that he must have ingested some sand. That may take some time to totally clear out.

You and your husband are doing awesome with him. :)

ssprague21

Original Poster
I'm not sure how much water he's taking. My husband has just been putting drops of water on his nose and letting him lick it up until he stops. Should we measure the amounts we give and cut him off after a certain amount?

We really appreciate the help! We have chickens & ducks so we're still learning about bearded dragons! My 8 year old isn't too interested in chickens and has been begging for a lizard so we finally budged for his birthday and bought him because we assumed he had been well cared for because the owner really cared about him. I think unfortunately he was just given really bad advice from the pet store on how to properly care for him. He probably trusted the store who sold him knew what they were talking about...unfortunately we can see now, that was not the case :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, what's important now is that he's getting good care and a chance to bounce back[ hopefully ] You're doing great.....let him lick up the water until he's had enough, just as you're doing.

I am very sorry that your bearded dragon is going through this but I can tell that you r trying very hard to get him healthy! I definitely recommend putting him on paper towel because sand causes impaction very easily in beardies. Continue to drip water on his nose. My beardie doesn't drink water from his bowl so I've had to drip water on his nose as well and he didn't really love it but one day i mashed up strawberries in the water and dripped it on him and he couldnt stop drinking it so you should definitely try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom