Sick Bearded Dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought my son a bearded dragon for his birthday from a family friend a little over a week ago. I believe the bearded dragon is a little over a year old. He is very sleepy and not eating well but I believe he is having some bowel movements. We thought maybe he was just stressed from moving but we're getting a little worried! Help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh no, the poor guy looks to be in very rough shape. He is most likely dehydrated and malnourished based on what I see in the photo. I suggest getting him off the sand and putting him on some paper towels or non adhesive shelf liner. Something that is easy to sanitize or replace. Your lighting is crucial too. What do you have for a UVB light? What are the temperatures in the enclosure? Once that's all set properly he will have a chance.

In terms of care he is going to need some hydration to start with. Drop a little bit of water on his nose and see if he'll lick it up. Do this several times a day with small amounts of water. If he takes the water then after a couple of days you can try the same thing with small amounts of baby food squash and green beans. Just little bits at a time to give him hydration and some energy. It's possible for him to bounce back, they are tough little guys, but he looks in tough shape so he is going to need some pretty special care and attention for a while.

ssprague21

Original Poster
The cool side of the tank is in the 80's and the warm side of the tank is in the 90's. We have a heat lamp and uvb light on during the day. At night we have a red heating lamp. We did exactly as the previous owner instructed, I think the move really stressed him out too much :( Thank YOu so much for the response. We'll try those suggestions!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Cooper gave you good advice....the poor dragon is quite emaciated and has been that way long before you got him. Can you get a few more full body shots from above ? He should have been given to you for free in that condition. Either the family truly didn't know or just didn't care. Hydration is key right now. Best wished for a good outcome though....hopefully he can bounce back !

ssprague21

Original Poster
My husband is giving him drops of water and he is responsive licking it up! We're hopeful we can get him better! Should he have sand in his cage or something else? Any other tips so we can get everything set up correctly? We'll try baby food in a couple of days.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's good he's responding to the water! Careful not to give him too much at once. Little bits at a time will do well enough. That's the first step so good so far!

I do think a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner would be better because it's easy to keep sanitized. Even paper towel or butcher paper will work for now. If you want something softer, try some fleece perhaps. That can easily go in the wash if it gets dirty.

I don't think the previous owner was giving proper care given his condition. He is showing signs of malnutrition and improper exposure to lighting. The UVB light should probably be replaced right off the bat. I'd pick up a T5 UVB light like this one: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ That is what I use and it is excellent. It will also last for quite a long time (over a year with good output). It should sit about 12'' above his basking area (overhead over the hot side of the tank).

It's also important to get accurate temperature readings. I suggest using either a digital thermometer with a probe for each end of the tank, or an IR temp gun so you can get instant readings. Something like this will do nicely https://www.amazon.com/Nubee-Temperature-Non-contact-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B00CVHIJDK You may be able to get something similar in a local store. You want to adjust the height of the basking bulb so it provides an area of around 100-105 in an area at least the diameter of his length nose to tail. Some areas of 90s around that and a gradient down to about 80 on the cool side. An adjustable lamp stand is helpful for this.

Overnight, I wouldn't use a red bulb because that's visible and can disrupt his sleep. Normally they don't need overnight heat if the temps in the tank stay above about 65 but in his case his system needs some support so keeping it around 75-80 is a good idea. You can use a ceramic heat emitter or a heat projector http://www.reptileuv.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=196 to do this. Just adjust the height of the bulb to provide the correct temps.

If he can be handled, he may enjoy some time outside in the natural sun on your lap until a new UVB light arrives. This may be too stressful though so I'd do this only if he seems like he has the energy. You may need to wait until he bounces back a bit before it's doable. I'd try to get the UVB light in as quickly as you can as the UVB light and proper heat are critical for his health.

His care is going to take quite a bit more work than normal, but it's absolutely worth it. Several of us have helped dragons recover from pretty serious conditions and are glad to help you along the way with advise and experience. Please keep us up to date on his condition.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's great, good going ! You can get some squash baby food and offer that mixed with water in the next day or two,[ more water to begin with for the first couple days ] get a good multivitamin like Rep cal Herptivite [ look for that one specifically ] and add just a tiny pinch to the water/ squash mixture. He'll need some Rep-cal calcium as well, just a tiny pinch of that, too. He has had metabolic bone disease [ MBD ] , that's why his tail is crooked, it's been deformed/broken because he hasn't had or was not able to absorb calcium due to improper uvb lighting. Get rid of the sand, newspaper will work until you get some non adhesive shelf liner. Poor guy, he needed someone to care about him. He didn't get in that condition from being moved, he's been sick for a long time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, the poor thing. He has gone without proper care for a while so they must not have given you the right info but we are here to help.

As others mentioned, hydration is the most important right now. He needs to be well hydrated before introducing foods to him, especially protein as it could overtax his system if done too quickly. Great that he is drinking. Go slow and easy with the drops of water on his nose.

Please remove the sand asap. You can even use paper towels right now. Even though he may be pooping a little, he may be impacted from the sand so when he is more hydrated, it would be a good idea to hold him in your hand with his vent (where he poops) down in the water so that hopefully he can clean out his system.

I imagine there is either a digital strip or round gauge (dial) thermometer stuck to the glass. Those are not an accurate way to read temps so you will either need to get a temperature gun or digital with a long wire and probe end.

Do you know the size of the tank or the dimensions? What wattage is the basking bulb? Is the UVB a long fluorescent tube or a coil/compact light?

Would be best to remove the log so he doesn't try to climb since he is in such a weakened state. You could put a towel or blanket in there for him to lay on for now. Also if there is a water dish in his tank, please remove that to prevent the chance of drowning.

He wouldn't have survived much longer under their care and hopefully he can get stronger daily. Please keep us updated on him and good luck.

***Sorry Cooper and AHBD, we were posting at the same time but pretty much gave the same info.

ssprague21

Original Poster
We actually just purchased a new light because the light that came with the set up stopped working last weds. We replaced it with a zoo med Desert uvb and heat lighting kit. The heat lamp is 13 w reptisun 10.0 uvb fluorescent lamp and the other part is a 75 w reptibasking spot lamp. We bought it at the local pet store. Is this light okay? Thanks everyone for the advice, it is much appreciated!!!!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Does the new bulb look like this one? If so, that is perfect.
4097-3849439072.jpg

Or does it liik like this 2nd one?
4097-1990309446.jpg

Is the 75 watt bulb a white bulb?

Do you happen to know the size or dimensions of the tank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom