Shopping list for rock wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
i need a list of all the supplies i need to buy and there names if possible to build my own rock wall for my 3 bearded dragons if this is possible could you plese send me a list of all the stuff you used to build yours.

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
Polystyrene. I got 4 x 8 sheets (used for insulation) at Home Depot or Lowes. You can get multiple widths, but I prefer 3/4 inch.
Grout. I use sanded Terracotta colored grout.
Sealer. I use and highly recommend Minwax Polycrylic water-based sealer.
Bucket. For mixing grout.
Brushes.

Past these, it really depends on how extravagant you want to get. I went simple with my first to figure out the styrofoam and how everything went. Beyond that you can get pretty crazy...I did :D .

For glue I use a low temp hot glue gun. Hot temp will melt the styrofoam, but the low is perfect and holds tight with no drying time.
I have a styrofoam cutter http://www.floralsupply.com/cat.cgi?s=FLCRFT60143%20Styro%20Cutter&c=dsgnaccs that is very helpful, but not if you are cutting large pieces, because it has the metal piece that prevents you from going more than 6 or 7 inches into the foam. You can rough cut with a knife and smooth it with this which works well.

Again, I went a little crazy, so I got a Versa-tool http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Walnut-Hollow-25-watt-Woodcraft-Tool-Kit/3485518/product.html (PS I'm very crafty and have used this for tons of stuff since then)

My first...
beardpool076.jpg

My adventurous second try...
lakenew023.jpg

lakenew046.jpg

If you have more questions feel free to ask!

triumphtt

Juvie Member
Hellstrom,
I'm finally getting around to pricing things I need to start my viv and had a question. The Versa tool does it melt the polystyrene? AC Moore had a sale and I almost bought one but then I though I was getting to carried away and if I really needed it, and then I though it could melt it.
Thanks in advance and also for the name brands for grout and sealer.
Dane
P.S. How much grout and sealer aprox did you use for your 1st project?

Hellstrom

Hatchling Member
It does melt the polystyrene if you don't move it fast enough. You just gotta keep it moving, but it works great. You definitely won't use even a small bag of grout. I probably used about a half a quart of sealer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom