Shingles as substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodlebug

I'm inexperienced, so I'm not as useful as some, but the shingles look pretty safe to me. Similar to tile. They would probably be good at shortening their claws and I believe asphalt holds heat well considering that roads always burn you feet during summer :lol:

Scribble

isn't asphalt toxic? which is why when they are working on roads with it they have to use masks? @.@
I could be wrong, but I remember something along those lines for asphalt

Doodlebug

I think it's only when it's liquid, as it's basically tar, but after drying out it should be fine. It's all around us so it shouldn't be that bad, but good point to bring up.

Scribble

oh okay just remember something along those lines so I wasn't sure if I was safe or not. Though as long as it doesn't liquidfy it should be good then if that's true owo

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I wouldn't - especially when there are so many cheap/easy and safe options.

I doubt the chemicals are safe even when they are cool - remember your dragon will be exposed to any fumes and be in close proximity pretty much all day everyday that it is in the cage. Any shingles I've dealt with also shed the little pebbles a lot. http://nj.gov/health/eoh/rtkweb/documents/fs/0170.pdf

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Though mostly inert when cold, as soon as you start heating the shingles, they will outgas. And there is nothing non-toxic about the tar they use to make shingles.

However adobe shingles or the composite stone shingles would be ok.

Scribble

EDIT: opps sorry thought you were saying that there was non-toxic versions, my bad XD

maybe if you want shingles instead it might be best to do wood or stone like BadCon recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom