Scared about Heating Pads, Need help with Roach Heating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
All the big breeders I know (the ones with tens of thousands of roaches, who do it for a living) use Heat pads, and don't cycle lights. They keep it dark 24/7. They must be doing something right.

Adding lighting cycles seems like just trying to complicate things more than what they should be. Human nature. We don't expect something to be super simple, and when it is, we often try to complicate it.

-Brandon

icelore

Juvie Member
Huh. Weird that no one contradicts people on this forum when they tell posters that they need a light cycle. I think the continuous contradictions are what make things difficult. :/

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
icelore":r4s2xh52 said:
Huh. Weird that no one contradicts people on this forum when they tell posters that they need a light cycle. I think the continuous contradictions are what make things difficult. :/

Kinda confused by what you mean.

-Brandon

icelore

Juvie Member
Which part?

I think the first part was pretty straight forward, but as the the second - you said that it's human nature to complicate things, and while I agree, I think contradicting information is even more confusing. Hope that is clearer.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Confused by the part I quoted.

I've never really seen anyone on here (until tonight, you) recommend cycling the lights in the dubia bin.
You said people never contradict when that it said, so thats why I am confused because I honestly have never heard it recommended here.

You also say the continuous contradictions are what make things difficult. Also confused by this. What continuous contradictions? If you are talking about this thread, there has only been 1.

But really, why cycle lights when they do just fine without that extra work?
Why build a robot to change the channel for you when you can press one button on your remote?

-Brandon

icelore

Juvie Member
I've seen it in a few places, both here and other forums. Just doing a quick search...

On why new dubias weren't eating:
Twobeardieguy":3aadx0ji said:
Give them some time to get used to their new home and start breeding. And yes they do need the day and night cycle.

Also, sorry if I misconstrued your comment about human nature - I thought you were making a broader comment then what just pertained to this single comment thread.

Also, clearly it wasn't seen as extra or unneeded work when that's the information I read.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, that in itself is kind of contradicting as Lance also says that light is no good for dubias. It's actually the first point he makes in his thread specifically on dubia, and is one of the only things that is bolded to stand out.

From my own experience, I have never shown my dubias any light. They are stuck in a closet 24/7 with a heating pad. They have been breeding very well for almost 4 years now. So that is why my advice is that. If your experience says otherwise, then that is fine too. Two ways to skin a cat.

-Brandon

icelore

Juvie Member
Like I said, it's not my experience, it was something I read, here. And as you point out, apparently the person in question contradicts himself anyway. Maybe now you can at least see my point about contradictory information. It's everywhere when the only reliable source of info is multiple people's word of mouth. People with less experience just have to sift through and sort it out.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Whoa this thread exploded. I don't mean to start an argument. I personally do not think that roaches need a day and night cycle. Even in the wild they search for darkness. They thrive there so it makes sense that they can be in the dark for 24 hours. Also, I will try the heat mat on some tile perhaps. :D

icelore

Juvie Member
I don't think there was an argument. People can talk and discuss - that is the whole point of forums. :)

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
I've been watching The Roach Hut videos on Youtube. He explains everything he does to raise roaches. The only thing he won't divulge is the ingredients to his roach chow. :evil:

He does mention giving the roaches a day/night cycle in one of the vids. He thinks it is less stressful on them if they are not in constant darkness; something about them always being busy.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
IMAG0320.jpg

You can see my bin on top of 2 metal shoe racks in order to give ventilation to the heat pad - this will extend the life of the heat pad and also keep your hardwood floor (if you have hardwood) from warping.

I've been breeding roaches for quite a few years also and have never heard of a day/night cycle - in fact only in the past few months have I even seen a couple people talking about it. My closet is open sometimes which allows some light in, but I don't use any lighting system. My roaches are prolific, to say the least.

icelore

Juvie Member
kjinxx2":vxt03k0e said:
My roaches are prolific, to say the least.
In the end, it's pretty clear they aren't very finicky! As long as they have food, water, heat and some darkness, they will breed. I think that if they were less hardy and more picky we could debate all day over how to get them to get their groove on, but thankfully they are happy to go about their lives as long as their basic needs are met. I guess that's why they are such a popular food source - so easy.

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
icelore":2fixaoxr said:
kjinxx2":2fixaoxr said:
My roaches are prolific, to say the least.
In the end, it's pretty clear they aren't very finicky! As long as they have food, water, heat and some darkness, they will breed. I think that if they were less hardy and more picky we could debate all day over how to get them to get their groove on, but thankfully they are happy to go about their lives as long as their basic needs are met. I guess that's why they are such a popular food source - so easy.

Here, here. Well said. I've watched numerous youtube videos on them and seen a wide array of configurations and they all seem to be working.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
:D That's a great setup. Never thought of the shoeracks idea but that seems like a good method to me! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom