Scared about Heating Pads, Need help with Roach Heating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
I just recently moved my roaches to a tote after having them in a glass tank with a screen lid. I cut out a hole for the screen, got my egg cartons on one side and my chow/fruit/veggies/crystals on the other side. The only thing I don't have right now is heating. I am really nervous about heating pads and I just want to make sure I have the setup right so as not to start a fire (worst fear). Can I see your guys' setups ? Maybe pics. I need some ideas so I don't burn my house down. Thanks!

Baldwin

Hatchling Member
I am using a human heat pad that I had laying around. I have no issues using it with the totes. The UTH state that they are not recommended for plastic, but many people are using them with no issues.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Are you just placing the heating pad under the tote? Are you laying the heating pad on the carpet? I'm just so worried its going to catch fire.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My bin is sitting right on top of the pad which is resting right on the carpet.
Been like this for years.
The melting point of most synthetic carpets is quite high. The temperature in which it ignites, much higher; A lot higher than the heating pad will reach.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that heat pad has a 12 hour auto shutoff safety feature. You need to find one without such a feature. Might be hard to find nowadays but I'm sure there are still some like that floating around.

-Brandon

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Can also look into a small ceramic heat bulb too. Just cut a hole in the top a couple inches smaller than your dome fixture and then plop that down with the bulb inside. Or if you have another reptile, can put the bin on top of the heat source there. I put my feeder bin on top of my boa cage under the radiant heat panel and it keeps the feeder bin at around 81 degrees.

icelore

Juvie Member
If you don't want to use a heating pad, use a heat bulb or ceramic heat emitter instead. I was worried about burning my house down with a heating pad too, so I've been using the bulb and it's working out great. I'm using a 60watt red bulb in a regular dome lamp with a clamp. My bin is huge and I don't keep a top on it, so the lamp is right on the side shining down on the vertical egg crates. I have it on a timer to be on for 14 hours, then off for 10. When it's on, all the adults come to the top of the egg crates right under the lights and get their groove on. lol The red bulb doesn't bother them at all. Seriously though, it's interesting to watch them court and show different behaviors, and with a digital probe at the bottom of the bin (furthest away from the bulb) it's ~90, and they are happy at the top. Seems like the older ones like it hotter, so the adults and younger nymphs switch places when the light goes on or off.

SoleSky

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I was considering a ceramic heat emitter or red bulb. I have a lid on mine because my roommate would kill me if they got away. That's the only problem :p I will look into it though because that's what I used to have for them.

TerratheBeardie

Hatchling Member
My method is rather primitive, but simple. I had some leftover slate tile from when doing Terra's viv flooring, so I used 4 tiles for both the heat mat(from a local Fred's store) and the dubia bin. Despite it being on carpet, the slate absorbs the heat as well, helping with keeping the bin warm and preventing any heating accidents. Two birds, one stone. :3

icelore

Juvie Member
claudiusx":22zp1tjy said:
If you are going to go that route, you need to use a CHE, not a red bulb. The light will disturb them.
http://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=76&t=188335

-Brandon

I was told that roaches aren't like dragons and cannot see the red light so it doesn't disturb them. I can only go on what I've seen personally and if I turn the closet light on they run, but can change their food out and move dishes with the red light on and they don't move. I pick the med/lg nymphs out to put in the feeder bin with the light on as well so that they are out and active, yet I can still see them. They just sit there while I pluck them off the egg cartons. They're also breeding like mad with it on sitting right under it, so it seems to be working for me personally.

Aside from that, people keep saying they need a night/day cycle as well, so seem like light would be a good thing. Since the red light doesn't seem to count as light enough for a day cycle, I just open the closet door and give them ambient light from the room during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom