Safe adhesives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardcore

Hatchling Member
a list of glues and adhesives that are safe after a 24 hour period would be very helpful. i am attaching slate together so far i am using aquarium silicone but do not know how well it will hold.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Silicone won't hold, you need something that dries much more rigid. I have used loctite power grab, and like it very much. It dries in 24hrs, and is water based...so its pretty inert. No harsh fumes either, and the stuff has the strongest initial tack of any construction adhesive.
That said, there are stronger adhesives built for the task. The important things to remember are "low VOC", and Non-solvent based (latex based is what you want). You want something that doesn't have solvents, because the ones that do will smell for days. Low VOC is a good indicator of lower odor...so low voc items will typically have fewer fumes that aren't as harsh. Latex based (water based) glues are a good place to start. Liquid nails brand has lots of specialty adhesives, many of which are low VOC. Take a gander at home depot, and see if you can find their masonry adhesive (should provide a strong rigid bond for slate).
Loctite also makes a heavy duty version of power grab, which might be a better choice. Unfortunately, the loctite specifically mentioned for this kind of application is solvent based (though its listed as low VOC). I wouldn't trust it to cure within 24hrs...but if you can give it more time, it might be an option. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/29/pl_ca_400_voc/overview/Loctite-PL-400-VOC-SubFloor-&-Deck-Adhesive.htm

Hope that helps.

beardcore

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I was there for over an hour... lol I couldnt be sure any of this would be safe so i just went with the silicone. i just caked it on and so far its holding but if i have to ill make a trip back. just thought a thread with adhesives people use would be helpful cause while i was there i was on my phone searching forums with no sure answer.

beardcore

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
actually the silcone holds well! i used slate tiles and the thing has to weigh 5 pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom