Rose petals????

Status
Not open for further replies.

1beardie

Hatchling Member
I have read a few places you can put rose petals in a beardies greens???? Anyone ever done it????

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
As long as you don't use any type of chemical fertilizer on your roses, and you don't spray them with any sort of bug spray, or any type of spray to treat your roses for black spot or other types of diseases that rose bushes sometimes get, then feeding your beardie rose petals is completely safe. Just be sure to rinse them with cold water from your faucet before feeding them to your beardie.

Of course, they should not be fed to your beardie on a daily basis, but once in a while, as a treat, most beardies do enjoy them. My female, Eden would eat all the petals off half the roses on a bush, if I let her! LOL

Although, as a general rule, its not a good idea to feed your beardies plants from your backyard, due to the fact that they may be contaminated by chemicals or pesticides, or chemicals from exhaust fumes, if you live near a major highway or a busy street, with lots of traffic. However, if you don't use such things on your property, and you're absolutely sure that none of your neighbors do either, then a little treat from outside, once in a while certainly won't hurt them.

Other plants which they enjoy, and are safe to feed, occasionally, as long as you're sure they aren't contaminated with anything, are dandelion greens and flowers, the white flowers on clover, hibiscus flowers, and flowers from a Rose of Sharon Tree or Bush, since that is in the hibiscus family.

However, these treats should be fed only occasionally, and make sure to wash every thing from outside thoroughly, in cold water, and check to be sure that there are no insects on the plant before offering it to your beardie, since any sort of insects may have been exposed to pesticides before ending up on the plants in your yard.

Denise Bushnell (RIP)

Juvie Member
Retired Moderator
The type of Rose doesn't really matter, but they do tend to lean toward rose petals that are brightly colored, such as red or hot pink.....I doubt that they taste any different, but the bright colors seem to attract them! LOL

Just be VERY SURE that they have not been exposed to any fertilizers (such as watering them with diluted "Miracle Grow" or sprinkling any sort of rose food in the ground near their roots) or any pesticides or exhaust fumes from heavy traffic near your home.

Also, feed only the petals, not any part of the greens from the plant, and wash them well with cold water before feeding. Also be very sure that there are no insects on the petals, such as Japanese Beetles, Aphids , or other pesky bugs, especially lightning bugs (fireflies) if you pick them in the evening, since eating one firefly will poison and kill your beardie in about 5 minutes since they contain a toxin which is deadly to bearded dragons!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anastasiacolson
Top Bottom